You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 612345 > >>
Author Messages
Gar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
11/17/2005 1:24 AM
    Think hard on this one. Real hard now. - Who is the last Irish band to get you really excited? - Is there any of the current crop who can maybe raise that level of excitement for you? Around at the moment, I think there are some very good bands in Delorentos, Humanzi, The Rags, Wallmark, 66e, Director, The Marshals, Leya, The Urges, Dry County, The Mighty Stef, Channel One, The Chapters, Texas Galaxy, LOST, The Immediate, Michael Knight, Jove, Soft Cuddly Toys, The Blizzards, Ham Sandwich, Envelope, The Rubens, Jaded Sun, The KB Band, Havana Calling, The Fallen, Lucera and The Prescriptions. Of course, there's plenty of others who have been around for a while like Redneck Manifesto. But just focusing on newish bands, or at least one's currently doing stuff. Although I think the Redneck's are coming back early next year. You know what I mean anyway.....
    Eoin
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11/17/2005 1:59 AM
    I think that Pony Club over the last 3 or 4 years are the only Irish band that I have been truly excited about, be it a gig or a release. Either way they are brilliant.
    benni
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11/17/2005 9:16 AM
    Channel One are def one of the best Irish bands for sure. Others I'm quite liking at the mo - Betamax Format Dry County Dark Room Notes liking some of that stuff by Sickboy too. Oh yea and SYLVAN - their gig in The Hub was the first I've seen with their newest edition (Kieran Bonefriendly) Jeaysus they were good.
    jaypers

--
    11/17/2005 9:24 AM
    Noise Control are a quality act, ther supportin prodigy tonight.
    mutch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11/17/2005 9:42 AM
    Soviet Filter are great and only getting better would love to see them getting on. Definitly one of the top bands I've seen. Probabaly still developing but would recommend them live Jenny Lindfors is definitly one of the better solo performers out there right now thoroughly enjoyable voice and songs ...and on the metal side of things (my personal favorite) there's a band called Epoch Rising that are playing some great NIN/FNM etc. type electronic metal stuf. If you're in to that. Stoat are fantastic too if you like to cast your net wider than the segments and pigeon holes that suit marketing employees.
    Pilchard
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11/17/2005 9:51 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Eoin
    I think that Pony Club over the last 3 or 4 years are the only Irish band that I have been truly excited about, be it a gig or a release. Either way they are brilliant.
    Problem is they have been around for 3 or 4 years as Pony Club (not to mention a decade before it as Bawl and Fixed Stars) - punters aint interested in secondhand Morrissey mumblings about off-licences in suburbia, i'm afraid. as Gar wanted NEW bands, here's a few i think people will get excited about in '06... Delorentos - getting better with every gig The Chapters - still hold out hopes for this lot The Immediate - deadly live band Julie Feeney - really cool debut album, kinda Bjork-y DC Pakt - liked their track on that Faction compilation The Things - dunno if they count as new but I really dig them Windings - Limerick-based solo thing from Giveamanakick fellow Ten Past Seven - kerry loons Rastafenians - reggae-folk, believe it or not
    benni
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11/17/2005 10:07 AM
    havent heard of Julie Feeney - anything on the web audio or otherwise i can check out? Cheeeeeeeeeeerz.
    Gar
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    11/17/2005 10:30 AM
    www.juliefeeney.com
    mannaman

--
    11/17/2005 11:18 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Gar [brAround at the moment, I think there are some very good bands in Delorentos, Humanzi, The Rags, Wallmark, 66e, Director, The Marshals, Leya, Dry County, The Mighty Stef, Channel One, The Chapters, Texas Galaxy, LOST, The Immediate, Michael Knight, Jove, Soft Cuddly Toys, The Blizzards, Ham Sandwich, The Rubens, Jaded Sun, The KB Band, Havana Calling, The Fallen, Lucera and The Prescriptions.
    Red Organ Serpent Sound from Derry are pure quality - just love the flamboyancy of it all and the tunes are great too - saw the Blizzards at Oxygen and was seriously impressed - I love Leya simply because they are quite grandiose and non apologetic about it - and yes despite my desire to not really be impressed I have had to give into the flavourings of Humanzi - at least the new single anyway!
    jaypers

--
    11/17/2005 11:23 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by mannaman [ Red Organ Serpent Sound from Derry are pure quality - just love the flamboyancy of it all and the tunes are great too - saw the Blizzards at Oxygen and was seriously impressed - I love Leya simply because they are quite grandiose and non apologetic about it - and yes despite my desire to not really be impressed I have had to give into the flavourings of Humanzi - at least the new single anyway!
    How can anyone not give into the flavourings of Humanzi. An absolute crackin band!
    benni
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11/17/2005 11:25 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Gar
    www.juliefeeney.com
    Aha!! Wow - such an inventive name for her site eh
    Pilchard
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11/17/2005 11:41 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by mannaman Red Organ Serpent Sound from Derry are pure quality - just love the flamboyancy of it all and the tunes are great too
    what mannaman said and then some
    Norman Schwarzkopf
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11/17/2005 3:49 PM
    Red Organ Serpent Sound are not quality at all at all. I saw em support dEUS and they were no great shakes. Fairly generic power chord rock with masks and a twitchy lead singer. Nothin to write home about, not that anyone at home reads my letters... :(
    Nomington

--
    11/17/2005 3:59 PM
    Definitely Pony Club, as Pony Club; Miles of Homes, Forecourt Flowers, Dorset St, Flakey Wife, F*ck with my heart.. all classic stuff.. Fixed Stars didn't really do it for me to be honest. Dave Couse with his new band The Impossible I am genuinely excited about, I think A-House were great and his 1st solo album 'Genes' was a solid effort but the new stuff is just class.. highly recommended even if you weren't keen on previous Couse exploits, just a load of great high powered pop rock songs... Who said the Chapters? Reeeeeally?? I mean, they're all right, they're just not great, very Framesy and nothing ground breaking..
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    11/17/2005 5:04 PM
    LOST, The Immediate, Panda Kopanda, Chuzzle, Leya, The Chalets, Rollers/Sparkers are the only (new) ones I'm really interested in. Red Organ Serpant Sound are rubbish
    Daragh
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11/17/2005 5:26 PM
    the only two acts who are really doing it for me at the moment are The Mighty Stef n the Delorentos. other than that the urges are usually pretty kickin live, as are the revellions (who are in fact brand new)
    clare

--
    11/17/2005 5:55 PM
    benni i am impressed you can remember that sylvan gig! jeeez the state of you that night! saturday still happening?
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    11/17/2005 6:46 PM
    yeah, Daragh, Mighty Stef is great. Subtonics were good too, in their Mighty Stef days. Dry County are pretty good (from the EP sound anyway) And actually 8Ball and Cartoon are pretty decent.
    bud

--
    11/17/2005 7:31 PM
    Are any new bands coming through? Seems to me that tipping bands such as The immediate and The Chapters, Dark Room Notes etc etc is a bit lame considering they would have been on the same list this time last year, which is the case with most of the bands listed so far. 'Newish' Irish Bands must mean a year to two years old?!?
    Daragh
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11/17/2005 7:36 PM
    Una - saw Dry County at the Delorentos EP launch, they're quite good alright. think they have a bit to go yet though, but thats just me.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 612345 > >>