You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
PeterQuaife
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
10/19/2006 10:49 AM
    5/10 - thats just wrong! Reeks of being different for the sake of being different. PQ
    nerraw
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/19/2006 10:51 AM
    Agreed, The Immediate are very possibly be the greatest live act since The Jesus and Houdini Cabaret Show
    Daragh
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10/19/2006 11:40 AM
    maybe he just didn't like the album? Havent heard it yet myself so cant comment, but some savage live bands just dont come across on record.
    Frankie Teardrop

--
    10/19/2006 11:51 AM
    The Immediate wouldn't be my cup of tea at all, cool album cover though!
    silentsigh

--
    10/19/2006 12:39 PM
    Yeh, thought it was terrible review. I think its an excellent debut album.probably give it an eight/ten especially with tracks like aspects,fashion or faith,big sad eyes,Let this light fill yur eyes, in towers in clouds and Cant stop moving! couple of average tunes, but thats it.
    ctrlaltdelete
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/19/2006 12:59 PM
    I mostly agree with the review. Album's got some good moments and is promising but it's also incoherent and lacks focus. Proabaly wouldn't be so harsh, but it's definatley not the amazing debut that it's been hailed in some quarters. I've seen some mixed reviews of this album elsewhere, so i don't think aiden is being 'different for the sake of being different'
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10/19/2006 1:07 PM
    one person's incoherance is another's eclecticism, a lack of focus could be experimental. It's all down to interpretation and opinion.
    Garret
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/19/2006 1:46 PM
    Mongrel gave it a medioccre rating too
    roadhousemag
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/19/2006 1:55 PM
    ah yeah, they are a very visual band in alot of respects..i first saw them around two years ago and thought the show was deadly,then i heard some tunes on tom dunne from their pending album and i wasnt mad about them immediately (no pun intended) but having seen them at the weekend i'm gonna give the album a try. still contrasting opinions make it all the more interesting and if the reviewer genuinely didnt like the album then fair enough.... proves there is a diversity of opinion of people who use teh site, nothing wrong that..i'd say alot of folks would complain (even the band) if EVERYBODY thought they were brilliant..
    dera
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/19/2006 2:19 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Una
    one person's incoherance is another's eclecticism, a lack of focus could be experimental. It's all down to interpretation and opinion.
    I'm fairly sure no one would claim The Immediate are an experimental band, whatever else one might say!
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10/19/2006 2:21 PM
    The album is a bit of work to listen to, but I've found that because of this element, every time you return to it, you hear something new. I guess it depends on what you want from your music.
    Pool Cleaning Guy

--
    10/19/2006 2:35 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Una
    Agreed. And I don't think people should be using words like "terrible" to describe a review just because they disagree with the reviewer's opinion of the work. One man's Meat Loaf is another man's Poison as they say. Plus, The Immediate are dire. I'd only dismiss a review as terrible if the person writing it gives you the impression that English is not his or her first language. Which, let's be honest, describes a hell of a lot of reviewers. Not here, or at The Tribune, obviously.
    Daragh
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10/19/2006 3:00 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pool Cleaning Guy Not here, or at The Tribune, obviously.
    nerraw
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/19/2006 3:09 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pool Cleaning Guy
    quote:
    Originally posted by Una
    Agreed. And I don't think people should be using words like "terrible" to describe a review just because they disagree with the reviewer's opinion of the work. One man's Meat Loaf is another man's Poison as they say. Plus, The Immediate are dire. I'd only dismiss a review as terrible if the person writing it gives you the impression that English is not his or her first language. Which, let's be honest, describes a hell of a lot of reviewers. Not here, or at The Tribune, obviously.
    I disagree. It's a review, tell me whether its s**t or not. The only person that can get away with inane ramblings is AA Gill. Some reviews try too hard prove that 'although I'm just a reviewer, I'm also a great writer with a wonderful vocabulary, look at how I describe the melodies.' Some of the best reviews are by Mongrel and cluas, a percentage/score and some funny lines. Spare me the wafflings.
    Antistar
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10/19/2006 3:29 PM
    If we are talking about inane ramblings passing itself off as 'journalism' the biggest culprit in my book is the Sunday Independent's Declan Lynch. I haven't a clue what he's on about most of the time.
    roadhousemag
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/19/2006 3:32 PM
    i agree, he just writes about what he personally likes rather than reviewing new records that are released... the new radiators record, i read his review of it..he donated in teh region of a 1000 words to it...lots of personal nostalgia bla bla bla..... then again the sunday indo is west brit nonsense... two words that sum the integrity of the arts section of that paper/rag BARRY EGAN......
    Pool Cleaning Guy

--
    10/19/2006 3:48 PM
    Different strokes for different folks I guess. Personally, I like a review to be entertaining. I detest that dreary style of reviewing where people who (in my view) have no feel or enthusiasm for music whatsoever think it's enough to make a point, then back up using quotations, like it's the bloody Leaving Cert Poetry question. For my money, Aidan (sorry to talk about you like this in front of everybody) is the best writer on here. He knows how to put a sentence together in a way that's pleasing and, equally importantly, his enthusiasm and passion for music is obvious. You may disagree with his opinions but, in my opinion, that doesn't justify sticking the terrible tag on his review. These are the kind of reviews I want to read. I'm far more likely to become intrigued by a favourable review if it's written nicely, and you get the feeling that there's an enthusiasm there. I need to almost form a relationship with the writer, to get the sense that, on a fundamental level,he or she *gets* it. Too much music writing in this country is staid and boring, written by people who don't give the impression that they truly love it. I know for a fact that there are loads of Irish Rock hacks for whom it's much more about the ligging and the hot tickets than it is about the tunes. I'm not going to trust those people when it comes to shelling out my hard earned. Write well, show me the passion, and you've got me. Keep up the good work, Aidan.
    PeterQuaife
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/19/2006 4:11 PM
    "A bit more work on the songwriting and then we might be in business" - ?????? What does this mean? Does the reviewer have some kind of song-writing measuring stick? For what its worth, I've been listening to the album loads whilst clocking up the miles with work, and to me its a corker, up there with Doolittle. PQ
    admin
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/19/2006 4:14 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by PeterQuaife
    For what its worth, I've been listening to the album loads whilst clocking up the miles with work, and to me its a corker, up there with Doolittle.
    Cool, so why not write up a review to that effect and submit it? If it's well written I'll publish it alongside Aidan's. Eoghan.
    roadhousemag
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/19/2006 4:22 PM
    thats actually a good idea, once it doesnt run with the hotpress thing of "good review..v..bad review"..just two reviews....
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>