You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 3123 > >>
Author Messages
nerraw
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
7/27/2006 1:05 PM
    This vodafone access live gig at a 'secret location' is a load of crap. It's in the middle of the liffey on a pontoon and anyone can see it tomorrow at lunchtime. This secret gig business and getting a text saying "congratulations your going to the gig" was a load of waffle. Anyone can go.
    nerraw
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/27/2006 1:13 PM
    It's one of three vodafone gigs with the last gig featuring a major British act. Anyway, ROL on a pontoon in the liffey tomorrow, by the boardwalk. Should be hilarious.
    palace
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/27/2006 1:29 PM
    what the f**k has happened to the true meaning of "secret gig"?... it's supposed to be a last minute affair (usually on the day in question) set up by a band to try new material... they let their mates know who let some of their mates know and that is it... if you're not in the know, you don't go... these days, secret gigs are organised by record companies and corporate behemoths and everyone and their tortoise is told about it 17 months before hand
    comet
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/27/2006 1:35 PM
    Yes indeed, I think secret gigs should be so secret that the band shouldn't even know that they are playing and when they do find out they should be forced to play secret songs that can only be accessed with a secret password by a blindfolded audience...........oh guys you really do love your little secrets that ROL gig sounds like good fun to me!
    palace
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/27/2006 1:50 PM
    comet, you're such an inverted music-snob all i'm saying is, stop using the term "secret gig" for a multi-media advertised extravaganza... i'm not saying that said multi-media advertised extravaganza won't be a good laugh... ...and yeah, i do love last minute small gigs by bands i love where there is a spark of electricity in the audience because they've managed to be there... don't you?
    comet
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/27/2006 1:55 PM
    inverted music snob ah yeah of course nothing wrong with a secret gig at all, i know what you're getting at.
    nerraw
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/27/2006 2:00 PM
    Ah sure i'm just pissed as I organised getting a half day for this. It was billed as a secret gig. But ROL in the middle of the liffey is about as far removed from a 'secret' gig as you can get. The whole texting for gig information followed by "congrats you're going to the gig" confirmation gave a false impression of the loose in a sweaty gig at 1pm in the day followed by much booze. I did think it was strange that Vodafone made such an effort publicising the free gig. But it was just a massive marketing campaign design to get a young indentifiable and very profitable market for a mailing list. But elbowing junkies on the boardwalk is not my idea of a fun time. It's about Vodafone and not ROL.
    palace
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/27/2006 2:01 PM
    good, good... nothing to see here... move along, please
    palace
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/27/2006 2:03 PM
    by the by, have they announced who the "major british act" is yet?
    comet
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/27/2006 2:19 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by nerraw
    Ah sure i'm just pissed as I organised getting a half day for this.
    thats a bit of a sickener alright, didn't hear anything about this gig but from the sounds of it sounds like false advertising to me.
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    7/27/2006 2:20 PM
    I don't think there is one... is there?
    nerraw
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/27/2006 2:22 PM
    Yeah I rang Vodafone and they told me they are doing three gigs this year with the last one been a major british act and will also be televised. Said the gigs could also be outside Dublin.
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    7/27/2006 2:34 PM
    oh, ok, I though you meant there was a British act playing this one. The whole 'secret' gig via a mobile phone company concept is an interesting one - here's a good article on it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5168652.stm
    comet
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/27/2006 2:43 PM
    quote:
    Yeah I rang Vodafone and they told me they are doing three gigs this year with the last one been a major british act and will also be televised. Said the gigs could also be outside Dublin.
    are these gigs only open to vodafone customers?
    Mully
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    7/27/2006 3:03 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by comet
    quote:
    are these gigs only open to vodafone customers?
    This one seems open to anyone with the ability to stand on a bridge ...
    comet
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/27/2006 3:44 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mully
    quote:
    Originally posted by comet are these gigs only open to vodafone customers?
    This one seems open to anyone with the ability to stand on a bridge ...
    well from the O2 addvertisements it seems most of their customers spend there time under water so a bridge could rule them out
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    7/27/2006 3:59 PM
    maybe O2 are tricking Vodafone customers in coming to the gig and then will launch a full on attack ala mermaid thingies in Harry Potter / J-Lo in Anaconda / LL Cool J in Deep Blue Sea. Likely? I think so.
    petethedrummer

--
    7/27/2006 4:05 PM
    I agree vodafone are really starting to lose their indie credentials. next of all they'll be the main sponsor of every single grand prix and the winningest team....oh wait. this gig sounds about as much fun as the heineken green energy festival. last time I went I thought I walked into an ad. and to think the mayday riots were going on. boy did pick the wrong event to be at that day.
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    7/27/2006 4:12 PM
    I don't mind gigs being branded as long as the corporations are giving loads of money and free stuff to nice people / bands and then everyone - musicians, bands etc - take it and run before being turned into some company's bitch. There's an old saying that journos throw around for this kind of stuff / blags / junkets / company freebies etc -"astound them with your ingratitude". I like that philosophy.
    palace
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/27/2006 4:25 PM
    petethedrummer... i guess you're called pete and i guess you're a drummer... but did you choose that name specifically after the manchester punk drummer, 'pete the drummer' in the late 70's? just wondering, like... probably not
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 3123 > >>