You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Norman Schwarzkopf
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
4/14/2005 4:18 PM
    I remember reading an article in the mid-90s about cyclical trends and how it takes roughly 20 years for things to come back around again. It applied to Britpop at the time in the early 90s. I looked ahead and figured that the Eighties would come back in the early part of the current decade and wondered why in hell anyone would want to revive it. (I was unaware at the time of some of the great stuff from the Eighties.) Now I'm wondering if the Nineties are next. What could bands revive from the Nineties? I've read that Kaiser Chiefs are sort of bringing Britpop back. Where next? Are bands gonna start reviving revivals?
    mick
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    4/14/2005 4:22 PM
    i just hope someone rediscovers 2 unlimited. or at least covers 'rhythm is a dancer'
    Norman Schwarzkopf
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    4/14/2005 4:25 PM
    I associate much of the early 90s as the years of Atlantic 252. A bit of a chart reggae revival with Pato Banton, Diana King, Aswad, etc. Then there's Mr.Vain! The distinguished works of the Urban Cookie Collective. Corona's "Rhythm Of The Night". BoyzIIMen. A comeback of this sort will no doubt be accompanied by the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Would I lie to ya baby, would I lie to you...?
    emu
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    4/14/2005 4:27 PM
    Ireckon britpop is already coming back with bands like the ordinary boys . And it never really went away just the same way grunge is still going. I think the trends in music depends on what was big when all these new bands where teenagers
    Norman Schwarzkopf
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    4/14/2005 4:39 PM
    Don't know about that cos most of the new bands wouldve been teenagers in the Nineties, yet lots of them look to the Eighties and further back. Maybe it's the cool older sibling effect or the parents record collection. Then again, it's the media that shines the spotlight on new bands and gives them coverage and airplay. There's music out there that references every era imaginable. The music mags get bored of Seventies revivalism and say, right lads, what's next? Ah, the Eighties! You like Gang Of Four, y'say? You too? Wow, I feel a scene coming on!
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    4/14/2005 4:40 PM
    unless history ends (don't read Francis Fukuyama) then revivals won't. I'm waiting with baited breath for Grunge to come back.
    Norman Schwarzkopf
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    4/14/2005 4:49 PM
    Not so sure if grunge'll come back. I think it was too big and well known. I get the impression bands like to list references and influences that make them seem a little cooler with less obvious tastes than the masses. Like the whole Gang of Four/Josef K/Orange Juice thing. That stuff hardly set the world alight at the time and stayed relatively underground with little comercial success. But now it's a cool touchstone. Trying to think what would have been trendy in alt.rock in the early 90s. (I was 9ish and musically unaware) Shoegazing, anyone?
    Eoin
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    4/15/2005 1:14 AM
    I'm not religious as such, but after reading these posts I reckon I'm gonna start praying for a Black Pope !
    stroller
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    4/15/2005 1:53 PM
    quote:
    Trying to think what would have been trendy in alt.rock in the early 90s. (I was 9ish and musically unaware) Shoegazing, anyone?
    The shoegazing revival is already under way. Check out the 2003 Frengers LP by Mew (Comforting Sounds is a tune) or last years excellent Lesser Matters album by the Radio Dept. Also Kasabian are doing their best to stage a one band big beat revival. Forget about the Madchester comparissons they sound disturbingly similar to early Lo-Fidelity Allstars.
    nesta

--
    4/17/2005 9:27 AM
    I hope someone revives Mozart...........and me mate who is still unconscious after 23 cans of Dutch Gold and 2 bottles of Bucky
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    4/17/2005 10:39 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by stroller Also Kasabian are doing their best to stage a one band big beat revival. Forget about the Madchester comparissons they sound disturbingly similar to early Lo-Fidelity Allstars.
    Kasabian also do a fairly decent cover of The Prodigys' "Out of Space" I agree with what Norman said about it being far more likely that you get a revival of stuff that wasn't actually that big the first time round, like the whole Disco Punk/Punk Funk thing. So whats relatively small genre could potentially be up for a revival revival now? Hard to say, but it might be interesting to see a renewed interest in EBM/industrial, slightly scary bands like Front 242 and Nitzer Ebb. After all they've revived every other 80s Genre and this is kind of the next logical step from the genres that have recently been revived like Disco Punk, Electro and even Goth to a certain extent. By the way, anyone ever watch MTV Dance late at night recently. The certainly seem to be playing a lot of retro stuff these days! or is that just down to a shortage of new commercial dance at the moment?
    stroller
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    4/18/2005 6:08 AM
    Well the Glimmers have really come into vogue in the last few years and they've been known to play a lot of EBM in their sets. Also Phil Kiernan did a Nitzer Ebb remix a few years ago and that ended up in the playlists of all sorts of DJs. If I'm not mistaken it crops up on the new Luke Slater mix CD.
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    4/18/2005 10:07 AM
    MTV Dance is so s**t, maybe because only the really cheesy s**t have videos. All that ever seems to be on is 'Carmen Electra's Megamix', or something equally retarded. MTV Bass is good though, but I mainly watch MTV, MTV2, The Amp, Q, Kerrang and Scuzz. Are there any better channels for rock music?
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    4/18/2005 10:09 AM
    oh, and Extreme has a really good punk show I've stumbled across a couple of times; they played Alexisonfire, The Damned and the Dropkick Murphys. Fantastic.
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    4/18/2005 3:05 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Una
    MTV Dance is so s**t
    Yep, its rubbish, like all the MTV channels really (MTV2 included), but all the music channels nicely grouped together on Sky Digital so I just tend to flick around looking for decent tunes and occasionally MTV Dance plays something good. I don't even have Satellite/Cable TV at home. I just watch MTV and the other music channels when I'm down at my parents place, and Aussie V8 Touring cars isn't on.
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    4/18/2005 3:06 PM
    MTV2 is good, I don't know what else people expect from it, it just plays all the new indie and rock music.
    John Doe
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    4/18/2005 4:03 PM
    90's revival ? I'm still waiting patiently for Adam and the Ants to be recognised as the musical collossus they were. You can laugh, kids, but it'll happen.
    stroller
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    4/19/2005 6:01 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Una
    MTV Bass is good though
    What? It's lowest common denominator garbage. The only place to hear decent hip-hop on MTV is indelible hip-hop on MTV2. It's on every Monday and Thursday at one in the morning. 120 minutes (which is on the same time slot but on Tuesdays) is also well worth checking out.
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    4/19/2005 6:51 PM
    I think what you mean is, 'the only place to hear hip-hop for people who like rock music'
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    4/19/2005 7:32 PM
    The smaller Non-MTV stations on Sky Digital like U, Flaunt, and one or two others sometimes play really good hip hop and urban stuff from relatively unknown artists. Its mainly stuff from the UK scene so it can be a bit chavtastic, but you do get the odd gem. Stuff like Lady Sovereign and a couple of other MCs out to steal Dizee Rascals limelight.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>