Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
stevenbacon

--
10/1/2008 1:00 PM
    Hi fellow cluas.com folks,

I wanted to share a story about some success that I've had in the past week. Since my "big event" that i'll go into shortly, i've been contacted by a number of industry types and am continuing to have exciting things happen everyday. I'll keep you all updated to the follow up things that have been happening, once I've posted the main story.

i'm based in boston, but would LOVE to play in ireland. Please contact me through my website www.stevenbacon.com if you would like to share some venue ideas with me!

so here's the story:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Steven Bacon and Glen Hansard: THE REST OF THE STORY
    (there are pics of the event at http://www.stevenbacon.com)

As some of you may know, I make me living as a subway performer / street performer.

A recent independently produced movie has given me great inspiration and the much needed strength to keep on keeping on.... The movie is called "ONCE" and stars Irish singer songwriter Glen Hansard (lead singer of "The Frames"), as a down and out street performer, with big dreams (sound familiar?). Glen costars with songwriter Marketa Irglova who plays the nontraditional love interest with hopes and dreams of her own.

One of the many amazing things about this movie is that the stars, Glen and Marketa, wrote and performed all the music in the movie. Although this movie only had a budget of $150,000, Glen and Marketa went on to win an Oscar for best song in a movie (for Falling Slowly), and a Grammy as well (all in 2008)

So how do I fit in with all this? Well, when I heard they were coming to town (Boston, Agannis Areana, 9-19-08), I bought tickets and when the day of the concert came (last Friday) I set up my street performing gear outside of the arena and proceeded to play all day in hopes of meeting Glen and Marketa.

After about 3 hours of playing I met a kindred spirit named Peter Olson. He had met Glen at a previous show and wished me well with my adventure. Soon after, the arena security staff politely kicked me off the premises, since it's against policy to have street performers on BU property. They were cool and said "we don't care if we hear you, it's just the policy of where you are... why don't you go across the street and no one will bother you". I gotta say that's the most pleasant getting kicked out experience i've had to date! I was thinking about just packing up and leaving, but I decided to keep soldiering on, so I found a condemned shop with garbage bags covering the windows and set up outside of there, thinking I would be safe for a few hours here.

About 10 minutes later, I'm singing and playing with my eyes closed and when I open them I see Glen and Marketa Standing in front of me with big smiles and kind eyes. Glen throws me a tip, we talk about busking, I blabber incoherently about how much of an inspiration he is to me and tell him I have tickets to the show. Glen and I shake hands and he asks if I'll have all my gear inside the show and then says, "We'll see you inside!", and I say "I'll see you inside, but you probably won't see me!" and we both laugh. It turns out that Peter Olson, who I had just met in the previous hour, ran into Glen and Marketa and sent them my direction. Peter also followed them and took pictures with his iphone of our encounter. Afterwards Peter said if I hadn't moved (aka gotten kicked out), Glen and Marketa probably wouldn't have found me. SCROLL DOWN FOR MORE.......

So I play for a few more hours, and I'm on cloud 9... (it's now been 5 or 6 hours of busking....can't feel hands, gotta pee, losing my voice, ... all the usual stuff..). Finally it's time to see Glen and Marketa perform so, my wife and I head off to see the show.

My wife is pretty concerned they won't let me in with all my gear because she went and checked while I was playing and saw the list of non-allowed items, and I had about half of them (like large bags, metal poles aka my mic stand etc...). I have a feeling they'll let us in so off we go to find out.

When we get to the entrance, the security guard gives me what I think is a "great, another one of these guys" looks. Instead of showing me the door, he pauses and says.... "Oh hey, are you the guy who's been playing outside?.... is that a Martin guitar you were playing? I play one too... you sound great! Yeah... this guy is alright, let him in." So, no problem getting in and I've got a new friend to boot.

We finally manage to get to our seats in the dark, no small feat with all my gear, and we enjoy Patty Griffin's opening set.

Next, Glen and Marketa come on with Glen's band the Frames. They are astounding, amazing, mind blowing, beautiful, inspiring, original, soulful, full of depth and raw talent. They play some of their big hits (including Falling Slowly) and then everyone leaves the stage except for Glen. He plays a solo song and then says: "So, we were walking around Boston today and we met this busker. He was fantastic... I think his name was Steven.... now everyone please be quiet for a second.... Steven are you here?"

Yeah.. I'm here!... I stand up and lift my guitar high over my head like an Olympic weight lifter (caught up in the moment, I was...). The crowd begins to cheer and Glen says... "LET"S HAVE A REAL BUSKER UP ON THE STAGE! STEVEN COME UP AND SING US A SONG!"

I think this was the point were I my heart stopped beating and I began to choke on my giant pretzel...

So, the crowd keeps cheering and I run up to the stage. I make eye contact with about a zillion people on the way who are as caught up in the moment as I am. The guards let me on stage... and there's Glen to great me with a warm smile. I hug Glen and the crowd cheers. Glen says "Hey, do you want to use my guitar, it's already plugged in..." Side note, this is the guitar Glen played in the movie, and it's famous.... I dream about that guitar... Do I want to play it? Yeah, I want to play it! I want to marry it and raise saplings together... I want to fight crime with it... I want to take it to the zoo, take it to the movies, knit sweaters for it , paint it's picture, and celebrate Arbor Day with it.....(ok i'll stop there). Of course Glen knows how exciting playing his guitar would be for me, and it's another kind and thoughtful gesture on his part.

After fumbling through my guitar case to find my Harmonica and capo, I approach the mic, and the crowd is going wild. In a fog akin to deer in the headlights syndrome I say something, to the crowd, probably something I would regret if I could remember what it was.... I do remember saying... "ok I'll stop talking and make this quick... you guys didn't pay to see me." That went over well. Hmmm... maybe a little too well. But seriously folks...

As I struggle to get my heart rate back under 300 bpm, I play the opening chords of my song "Charlie wants to run".... Charlie is a metaphorical reference to the subway in Boston, aka the Charlie train. I play the intro with guitar and harmonica. I think after I played the progression through the first time I got big cheers, maybe because people were happy after all the buildup of this moment that I didn't totally suck. I sing the first note and realize... uh-oh my voice is gone from my 6 hours of busking in the cold today... still can't feel my hands... DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!.. then i get a hold of myself and start to relax and take in the moment. I notice that everyone is clapping to the beat. I realize how to connect with the audience halfway through my song and I start to make eye contact one by one with everyone who is close enough for me to see. Each person I look at seems to get that I'm looking at them and we smile at each other, having meaningful and happy, albiet breif, exchanges. I can see how inspired they are by this moment and how excited they are for me. I've never felt more love and support in a performance setting in my life. I know that feeling will stay with me always.

At this point I realize I've gotten lost in the crowd and my song structure has flown south for the winter. I realize I've sang the chorus 3 or more times in a row .... time to stop! I somehow manage to end the tune as thousands of Swell Season fans rise to their feet to give me a standing ovation. Glen runs up to me and gives me a big hug and says to the audience "That was F---ing Great!"

On the way off stage I get to thank each member of the Frames and Marketa. Big giant security guard gives me a hug. Everybody wants to shake my hand as I wander, lost-dazed and confused, trying to find my seat, and process what I'm pretty sure has just happened.

Afterward, I signed autographs for the first time in my life and set up my gear outside the Arena and played outside until 2am... this time I didn't even notice the cold.. I stopped when my amp died in a horrible barking way that only busker's amps can die.. I think I might have fried it, but perhaps I can fix it. If you see me busking in Park Street or Davis station Wednesday afternoon then you'll know the amp made it through another round of meatball surgery.

If you would like to be involved in the upcoming chapters of this story, please help me make the most of this big break by forwarding this email to your friends, your press contacts (Newspaper, Magazine, TV, Radio, the Web), anyone you know who you think might be interested in booking me at their venue or house concert, any songwriter agents, recording industry types, ...etc!!! I have never asked anything of the sort in the past, but I believe this story can inspire others to go for their dreams and I am excited to share it and see how it all plays out.
    carry_grant

--
    10/1/2008 2:08 PM
    ....urrrrgggghhhhhh.......vomits............
    Idiot Kid
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/2/2008 1:13 AM
    Wow...that's like, so inspiring man...

Who dreams of Glen Hansard's guitar???
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10/2/2008 1:25 AM
    Posted By carry_grant on 01 Oct 2008 2:08 PM
    ....urrrrgggghhhhhh.......vomits............

haha, I don't think he was expecting that sort of reaction. Still, don't wee on the guys moment of glory eh?
    mixtapepublicity
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/2/2008 2:20 AM
    Be nice boys... Just because we've encountered many many many years of Glen's presence in our lives doesn't mean people can't still get excited about him.

Congrats yankie, sounds like you had a day to remember. Best of luck with your quest.
    Peejay
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/2/2008 3:05 AM
    Christ thats a long story!

Congratulations Steven…it’s a very good opportunity to get your name out there on the back of what happened, but maybe shorten the story a bit. Throw in a montage or something.

Good luck.

Unicron
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10/2/2008 3:46 AM
    Posted By Peejay on 02 Oct 2008 3:05 AM
    Christ thats a long story!

Congratulations Steven…it’s a very good opportunity to get your name out there on the back of what happened, but maybe shorten the story a bit. Throw in a montage or something.

Good luck.

A training montage? Learn how to play Eye Of The Tiger
    whiterob81
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/2/2008 6:03 AM
    Lay off the guy. Congratulations Steve. Do you have a myspace page where people can check out your stuff? That might help you
    Idiot Kid
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/2/2008 6:15 AM
    So am I the only cynical bastard in the place that think the whole thing stinks of PR stunt then?#

Oh and as for training montage's:

Hearts On Fire>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Eye of the Tiger
    stevenbacon

--
    10/2/2008 11:20 AM

so, i'm somebody who has been playing the streets and subways for a living, who makes barely enough money to eat and pay rent, and who's given up everything i have to follow my dreams. something really good happens to me for the first time in 18 years of hard work, so yeah, i'm spreading the word and trying to get ahead

wow....maybe i won't play ireland...haha.... well if i do then idiot kid and carey grant.. you're on the guest list. i'd love to see if you are really like this in person. it's not so easy to treat someone like this when you have to look them in the eye and recognize that they are also a person with hopes and dreams, too.

my myspace page is www.myspace.com/stevenbacon

anyway, thanks to all you other guys. maybe i'll see you someday and we can share a drink

-steven

----note... i've edited this post---- my first reaction was a bit harsh. i apologize for that
    whiterob81
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/3/2008 2:27 AM
    sound, well if you ever make it over here i'll go check you out. I can't check out your page because myspace is blocked here in work.

Anyways, if this really was a PR stunt, i'm sure he would have picked a message forum that more than 2 people a day post on.

i'd recommend visiting www.thumped.com but they're a lot harsher over there. They'd make bits of you. And they hate Glen Hansard.
    PeterQuaife
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/3/2008 2:45 AM
    enjoyed that story. remember getting off the T @ Park St station and dandering into the 'Littliest' for a few cold ones...good luck with everything sir

PQ
    Idiot Kid
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/3/2008 2:52 AM
    Posted By stevenbacon on 02 Oct 2008 11:20 AM

wow....maybe i won't play ireland...haha.... well if i do then idiot kid and carey grant.. you're on the guest list. i'd love to see if you are really like this in person. it's not so easy to treat someone like this when you have to look them in the eye and recognize that they are also a person with hopes and dreams, too.

Dude, I'm all for hopes and dreams but your 'story' read so much like a press release (I should know, I read and write enough of them) that I assumed you were a fake.

If you're not, apologies.

However, you really need to relax a bit, if you take anonymous internet comments to heart how are you going to deal with critical reviews or people talking during your set 'cause they find you crap or worse stil, boring. I'm not saying they will, but it might happen.

I'll have a listen to your myspace now and give you a serious response.
    Ally
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/3/2008 3:50 AM
    youse are all a bunch of pricks...

...great story steven... well done and good luck
    Ally
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/3/2008 3:53 AM
    Posted By whiterob81 on 03 Oct 2008 2:27 AM

i'd recommend visiting www.thumped.com but they're a lot harsher over there. They'd make bits of you. And they hate Glen Hansard.

and this is just not true... there'd be harsh responses and biting humour but there would be an underlying understanding and appreciation... unlike here
    Idiot Kid
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/3/2008 4:37 AM
    Appreciation for what exactly?

All he did was stalk Glen Hansard.

Fair play to him for having the balls to get up in front of thousands of people and perform but that's about it, the rest was down to nothing but luck (if the story is true).
    Idiot Kid
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/3/2008 5:44 AM
    I've just had a listen to your myspace Steve. It's not my cup of tea but it's not completely unfortunate either. Regardless of what I've said before best of luck with any gigs you manage to get.
    floodzer
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/3/2008 7:24 AM
    Poor Steve didnt account for the irish cynicism. Good on you Steve, its a great story!
    I wouldnt recommend coming to play here anyway. The singer songwriter era has well and truly passed in Ireland whether the artists are good or not. If you come up with some sort of gimmick you might impress the masses. Perhaps a photo shoot with an ironing board or something
    whiterob81
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/3/2008 8:03 AM
    Posted By Ally on 03 Oct 2008 3:53 AM
    Posted By whiterob81 on 03 Oct 2008 2:27 AM

and this is just not true... there'd be harsh responses and biting humour but there would be an underlying understanding and appreciation... unlike here

actually ally, you're right, they are a bit more open to new music there. I stand corrected. But let's face it, from what I've read there, there's a lot of people who are not too keen on glen hansard or the frames on that site.

also, I'd post on there but that's another site that's blocked here in work

I'd actually think he might do better just posting on thumped without that story and just saying he's an american singer songwriter who wants to play a few gigs over here. Maybe he could get a gig at the ballroom of romance or summat
    aidan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10/4/2008 3:26 AM
    That was bloody decent of Glen Hansard, fair play to him. Even if someone now pops up to say 'Ah he does that at every show!', still a nice thing to do.

Also, I think most people on the CLUAS and Thumped boards were more aggrieved by the Frames ultras (the reverential 'SHHH!-ers) than the band or their music.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>