Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
PeterQuaife
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
1/25/2008 1:46 AM
    Was told that the National are back in May, cannot find ought on the t'internet...anyone hear anything?

cheers

PQ
    mickeyjoe84

--
    1/25/2008 2:39 AM
    Yeah, The National are playing the Olympia on the 15th of May.

Think tickets are going onsale on Monday the 28th
    PeterQuaife
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/25/2008 2:53 AM
    thanks sir....any word on them playing the occupied 6?

PQ
    Zeitguest

--
    1/25/2008 8:10 AM
    There's a small section about the gig in that rag , Metro today. Apparently they received much critical acclaim for their 'debut' album 'Alligators' in 2005. It's just so lazy to write stuff like that, reminds me of when 'The Interpol' featured in the 'What's Hot?' section of the Irish Times Magazine for their 'debut' Antics.

They really were both excellent debuts.
    Unicron
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    1/25/2008 8:46 AM
    Chancles of a second date being added very quickly upon this selling out I hear.
    PeterQuaife
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/25/2008 8:53 AM
    still nothing for the north...hopefully the 2nd in dublin will be a friday..would come down for that

PQ
    Quint
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/25/2008 10:49 AM
    Posted By Zeitguest on 25 Jan 2008 8:10 AM
    There's a small section about the gig in that rag , Metro today. Apparently they received much critical acclaim for their 'debut' album 'Alligators' in 2005. It's just so lazy to write stuff like that, reminds me of when 'The Interpol' featured in the 'What's Hot?' section of the Irish Times Magazine for their 'debut' Antics.

Also, it's actually called 'Alligator' without an s.
    Sloppy journalism at its worst, indeed.
    carry_grant

--
    1/25/2008 6:51 PM
    'Alligator' was no debut.
    stephen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/25/2008 8:44 PM
    I just saw these guys as part of the Sydney festival. As has been noted on these pages, I'm not been so convinced about the National's Joy Division / Interpol tunes but, live, they were stunning. To be fair, the venue I saw them in was a symphony concert hall so the soundscape was terrific ( in fact the band commented that it was the best they'd ever sounded ) but that is not the full explanation. Their intimate tunes took on new depth and the muggy production mix of Boxer was replaced by a pristine twin guitar sound that just elevated the band to new levels.

I am now, officially, a fan.

Though Alligator is much better than Boxer to these ears...
    Zeitguest

--
    1/26/2008 10:39 AM
    Quint & carry_grant: I was just being a smartarse, hence the use of inverted commas. I'm well aware there's no 'S' on Alligator and that it wasn't a debut (I do quite like that album). My point was really that it should have been researched a little better, sorry!
    PeterQuaife
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/26/2008 12:33 PM
    Posted By stephen on 25 Jan 2008 8:44 PM
    I just saw these guys as part of the Sydney festival. As has been noted on these pages, I'm not been so convinced about the National's Joy Division / Interpol tunes but, live, they were stunning. To be fair, the venue I saw them in was a symphony concert hall so the soundscape was terrific ( in fact the band commented that it was the best they'd ever sounded ) but that is not the full explanation. Their intimate tunes took on new depth and the muggy production mix of Boxer was replaced by a pristine twin guitar sound that just elevated the band to new levels.

I am now, officially, a fan.

Though Alligator is much better than Boxer to these ears...

I'd pop for Alligator too

PQ
    Garret
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/26/2008 1:29 PM
    i prefer boxer
    Goat Boy

--
    1/28/2008 5:58 AM
    I'd go for Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers over both Boxer and Alligator. Songs on SSFDL just seemed a little more frantic and intense. A second date would be great, fingers crossed.
    Unicron
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    1/28/2008 7:30 AM
    Second date on sale. It's the Wednesday.

By the way. For the past week or so it's the Cherry Tree EP for me.
    PeterQuaife
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/28/2008 9:22 AM
    ...digger...was hoping for a friday. Anyone have 2 spares for the Thursday? Was hoping for a Spring 'n Airbrake to be announced..cheers

PQ
    mixtapepublicity
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    2/20/2008 6:52 AM
    Third date confirmed in the Olympia for Tuesday 13th May
    Ally
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    2/20/2008 7:28 AM
    Posted By mixtapepublicity on 20 Feb 2008 6:52 AM
    Third date confirmed in the Olympia for Tuesday 13th May

i liked the last two albums but i was just a little bit disappointed when i saw them in the olympia... that's probably more to do with me than them however...

i won't be going again though... i've lost the buzz, man!...
    starbelgrade
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    2/20/2008 8:50 AM
    Posted By Quint on 25 Jan 2008 10:49 AM
    Posted By Zeitguest on 25 Jan 2008 8:10 AM

Also, it's actually called 'Alligator' without an s.
    Sloppy journalism at its worst, indeed.

Metro are always spot on - they previewed a gig of ours with an article riddled with expressions like "inner hip-hop star", "white guy funk", and "forays into alternative rap". After reading it, I was expecting to have the Beastie Boys as my backing band that night!

You are not authorized to post a reply.