Author Messages
Carlsberg
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
8/21/2007 7:33 AM
    Posted By JamesT on 20 Aug 2007 9:23 AM
    Nicky Wire's rant;
    despite the fact that Manics make over-rated s**te. "What have you done to your hair?" What have you done for music more like? Fuck all, but ultimately 100% less damage than Snow Patrol.

Have taken umbrage with this to the extent i have launched a post on it! How sad of me.

If your going to judge the MSP on the above line then you clearly have not been listening to them or while you were listening the phone rang & you were on for a very long time. I consider them to be my favourite act and would agree with everyone who cares to debate it that 'Send Away The Tigers' is far and away their worst work to date & often borders on mediocrity at best. However, i can't stand by whilst someone comes out with a bland, unsupported comment such as 'what have you done for music'.

For a band to have a career spanning over 16 years speaks volumes whether you like them or not. The Holy Bible sits in most polls as one of the great rock albums of the modern era and Everything Must Go follows closely behind it. Whilst the direction of the band has changed in the past 5 years the honesty and genuine nature of their music and beliefs has not. I consider 'Lifeblood' to be highly underated & barring 2/3 tracks on each the previous efforts of 'Know Your Enemy & This is My Truth' am quite happy to defend the albums as quality work. I am one who believe the band were better off without Ritchie in retrospect and would never be someone to hold them up as 'ground breaking musicians' but comments like that p**s me off & whilst I am always saying 'everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and you are, this one is just simply wrong.

End of rant, let the debate begin.
    JamesT

--
    8/21/2007 7:45 AM
    I read the 1st few lines, then all I could see was "blah, blah, blah". OK, I get your point - you like them, but I don't - so not a whole lot to debate on. I've heard a great deal of their back catalogue and no matter how many polls they've ended up in, it doesn't mean anything to me.

"Nevermind" always ends up in the same polls - it doesn't mean I have to rate it. You can argue / debate it all you like, but it won't change my mind.

Yep - everyone's entiltled to their own opinion, but depsite what you say, there is simply no such thing as a "right" or even a "wrong" opinion. In music there are just tastes and different ones and thank f**k for that, otherwise we'd all be buying what Rolling Stone tells us is the "best albums ever".

Take the Snow Patrol / Editors debate - some people hate em, some people rate em. So what? Does it really matter? Will it affect their record sales? Will it stop people going to their concerts? Will it f**k. Nicky Wire can rant against them, and you say nothing. I rant against the Manics and you get all uppety about it. I don't really give a s**t, but it's a double standard.
    elmo95
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/22/2007 3:42 AM
    I think Carlsberg got a bit twitchy since the Manics were being compared to Snow Patrol. The Manics are my favourite band of all time but recently I've come to see my previously held opinion of an infallible Nicky Wire in terms of comments and lyrics as ...well wrong. Some of his lyrics from 'This is my truth' on wards are atrocious but when he gets it right he really hits the nail on the head. Personally I think Know Your Enemy was their weakest - far too 'spit in your face' in the way that I think they can't really do anymore. At the end of the day Nicky enjoys nothing more than getting a reaction and the fact that he still does is a testament to his role as provocateur. In other words he's a classic s**t stirrer!
    JamesT

--
    8/22/2007 4:32 AM
    I've no problem with Nicky Wire or his s**t stirring. I find him very affable. I just won't stand to be told that I should like a band just because I'm told to by someone else.

What a daft argument;

Me ; I don't like MSP

Carlsberg ; Then you obviuosly never listened to them.

Me ; I have and I don't like them.

Carlsberg ; For a band, to have a career spanning over 16 years speaks volumes whether you like them or not.

Me ; The Bee Gees have being going longer. I don't like them either. Am I breaking the rules of how I should like music?

Carlsberg ; Yes. The Holy Bible sits in most polls as one of the great rock albums of the modern era and Everything Must Go follows closely behind it.

Me ; So I must like every album that polls as a great rock album?

Carlsberg ; Of course.

Me; But I don't really like rock music.

Carlsberg ; That's irrelevant. Go buy Rolling Stone now. Bow down to Manic Street Preachers. Kiss the boot of rock before you die a heathen.

Me ; OK, if you stop talking, I'll do anything.
    John Doe
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/22/2007 4:33 AM
    Incidentally, I'd just LOVE to know how many of the Mondeo men we've all been slagging off so much have both Final Straw AND Everything Must Go in their collections.....
    JamesT

--
    8/22/2007 4:42 AM
    Posted By John Doe on 22 Aug 2007 4:33 AM
    Incidentally, I'd just LOVE to know how many of the Mondeo men we've all been slagging off so much have both Final Straw AND Everything Must Go in their collections.....

LOL!!
    Peejay
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/22/2007 5:00 AM
    I kind of like the Manics. One of the few 80's bands that survived (thrived even?) during the Britpop era and are still seemingly going strong today. The only album I've ever bought is Everything Must Go. I haven't listened to it in years but I remember it being pretty good. I still hear the singles the odd time on the radio and the massive Spectorised sound suits Bradfields epic songwriting, especially on the title track, Australia and Design for Life too. I think the only slight problem I have with them is the lyrics. You know that slow acoustic song on EMG with the harp? Absolutely beautiful tune God! the lyrics are dreadful!

Of the new singles I've heard, the duet with Nina whatsername was dreadful and this new one Rendition is excellent. So I don't know... a band of contrast.
    JamesT

--
    8/22/2007 5:12 AM
    About the only tune I DO like by them is the one with Nina Pearsons - she is a godess in my book! Different horses n' all that....
    Carlsberg
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/22/2007 5:17 AM
    JamesT - You clearly didnt read my post either.

I never once said you must like them. Nor did I say it was irrelevant that you dont like rock music. I simply stated that a comment like 'what the hell have they done for music' is bland & simply inaccurate. They have done nothing musically for you and thats fine.

Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/22/2007 5:43 AM
    Posted By JamesT on 22 Aug 2007 4:32 AM
    I've no problem with Nicky Wire or his s**t stirring. I find him very affable. I just won't stand to be told that I should like a band just because I'm told to by someone else.

What a daft argument;

Me ; I don't like MSP

Carlsberg ; Then you obviuosly never listened to them.

Me ; I have and I don't like them.

Carlsberg ; For a band, to have a career spanning over 16 years speaks volumes whether you like them or not.

Me ; The Bee Gees have being going longer. I don't like them either. Am I breaking the rules of how I should like music?

Carlsberg ; Yes. The Holy Bible sits in most polls as one of the great rock albums of the modern era and Everything Must Go follows closely behind it.

Me ; So I must like every album that polls as a great rock album?

Carlsberg ; Of course.

Me; But I don't really like rock music.

Carlsberg ; That's irrelevant. Go buy Rolling Stone now. Bow down to Manic Street Preachers. Kiss the boot of rock before you die a heathen.

Me ; OK, if you stop talking, I'll do anything.

JamesT - This has to be one of the funniest yet utterly logical posts on here in ages, you sir are a legend. (sorry Carlsberg)

Carlsberg
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/22/2007 5:56 AM
    hee hee.. no worries Binokular. You know me by now, takes quite a bit to rile me up!
    JamesT

--
    8/22/2007 6:15 AM
    LOL! Tis all good!
    floodzer
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/22/2007 8:41 AM
    I'm also a pretty big manics fan and in my opinion~
    Send Away The Tigers is their weakest to date despite a few tunes.
    I rate every other album as great, Everything Must Go is the best though.
    I believe (but cant prove) that they would have never had reached the same success if Richie had hung on.
    I Definately agree with Carlsberg that Lifeblood is underrated.

Lastly, Motorcycle Emptiness is one of the most annoying tunes ever, the chorus just keeps bloody churning out like a bad shellfish dinner in the belly...
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/22/2007 9:01 AM
    Posted By floodzer on 22 Aug 2007 8:41 AM

Lastly, Motorcycle Emptiness is one of the most annoying tunes ever, the chorus just keeps bloody churning out like a bad shellfish dinner in the belly...

..but it's got a great guitar hook. I have no idea what he's singing about though. I've heard it used to soundtrack motorbike road racing/TT/MotoGP events, which I suspect is probably missing the point, like the way whoever used that Regina Spektor song for the vodafone ad probably didn't really listen to the lyrics. Probably didn't have Valentino Rossi and the like in mind when they penned it
    UnaRocks
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/22/2007 9:09 AM
    A Design for Life is good. Everything else they did is average.
    stephen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/22/2007 4:10 PM
    I don't own a single MSP album. The Holy Bible is virtually unlistenable but has a grisly appeal because of the circumstance of the band. It reminds me of Sister Lovers by the utterly wonderful Big Star.

Everything Must Go is a rousing tune and is the basis of their career. I don't care for it. I like some of their guitar sounds. But Bradfield's voice? Constantly straining. I find myself wincing.

Now.... Nina Persson from the Cardigans is a STAR! One of the most under-rated bands of recent years they are.

Speaking of naughty looking Swedish blondes, check out the lead singer here - The Sounds. Glorious pop tune too.

eoghan
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/23/2007 12:09 AM
    Posted By UnaRocks on 22 Aug 2007 9:09 AM
    A Design for Life is good. Everything else they did is average.

Hve to say 'Motorcycle Cycle Emptiness' was pretty nifty. Certainly above average. And to this day I still love listening to David Holmes great remix of 'If you tolerate this...'.
    JamesT

--
    8/23/2007 2:16 AM

Speaking of naughty looking Swedish blondes, check out the lead singer here - The Sounds

She's not a patch on my Nina.
    comet
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/24/2007 1:46 PM
    Everything Must Go was one of the standout albums that summed up that britpop era of the mid 90s for me along with Oasis Definitely Maybe and Pulp Different Class etc. Great album with Design For Life being the killer track, kind of lost interest in the Manics after that though, think they've sounded a bit jaded ever since.
    As for Motorcycle Emptiness ..... its classic, can't see how thats being questioned.
    Sebastian Dangerfield

--
    9/4/2007 10:22 AM
    At the risk of sounding like one of those twerps who say things like, "I prefer their earlier stuff," I think the Manics have declined in quality since Richey Edward's disappearance. Although Everything Must Go and This is My Truth were both decent albums, occasionally bordering on brilliance, they also sound less vital (and more leaden) than their first and third albums. I also wish Nicky Wire would stop trying to sing, because, plainly, he can't. And that's without even touching on how godawful his most recent lyrics are...
    You are not authorized to post a reply.