Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
bonzo
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
3/10/2005 4:33 PM
    Just been on the polar website as I regularly do. Seems as if the lads are off to London, turning the back on the Irish scene in order to see how they get on abroad. What do people think about this? Personally think its great - although, one problem if you can't make it here the British industry isn't going to want to know you. Buy maybe, just maybe they might do it. Good luck to them.
    Butt

--
    3/10/2005 4:50 PM
    fair balls, without worrying about "making it" as you say it should make for an exciting change of scenery on the gig front from dublin. they should look to getting some good support slots in the first few months, they're strong live and should impress new faces
    mutch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/10/2005 5:21 PM
    well in music business terms dublin is really just a place you say you're from/were formerly based as a band, isnt it? I mean, looking at the threads about good nightspots in Dublin, it doesnt take a genius to figure out that not one club in the city can proudly say that every night they have good live music, even good music full stop!. I mean good now, not someone who has the money to rent the venue and bring 60 of their mates- nothing wrong with that (why i enjoy doing it myself!)but for the concert goer who just wants a band, theres nothing close to a safe bet. dont mean to be defeatist, just an opinion.
    bonzo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/10/2005 5:37 PM
    As I said, think its a good move - maybe they've done enough here already. London is a tough place to break. So much on, a casual look through Time Out confirms this. Best of luck to them.
    delorentos

--
    3/11/2005 10:12 AM
    they're a good bad and we wish them all the best. sure they've probably played everywhere at this time, there's nothing wrong with a bit of ambition!
    bonzo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/11/2005 10:58 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by delorentos
    they're a good bad and we wish them all the best. sure they've probably played everywhere at this time, there's nothing wrong with a bit of ambition!
    No one said there wasn't - in fact if you read my posts Im saying fair play to them and I do wish them all the best. If I was being critical I would say they need to think about their vocalist.
    flipperstired
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/11/2005 11:13 AM
    I would have agreed with you Bonzo regarding the vocalist for Polar till i saw them at the TBMC recently and having seen them 4 times previously, the vocals were absolutely brilliant. Think he might just need a little more practise but he can sing, in my opinion.
    bonzo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/11/2005 11:37 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by flipperstired
    I would have agreed with you Bonzo regarding the vocalist for Polar till i saw them at the TBMC recently and having seen them 4 times previously, the vocals were absolutely brilliant. Think he might just need a little more practise but he can sing, in my opinion.
    Good stuff. Hope they do well.
    kierry
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/11/2005 12:21 PM
    sure he's a grand singer. whats the problem? he's probably reading this going, "jesus".
    flipperstired
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/11/2005 12:57 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by kierry
    sure he's a grand singer. whats the problem? he's probably reading this going, "jesus".
    Ta me agreein with ya!
    Wicker
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/11/2005 1:05 PM
    mmmm that's the third Irish Band I know of that are going abroad Personally I wish them all well.... the Irish scene is stagnent at best
    kierry
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/11/2005 1:32 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wicker
    mmmm that's the third Irish Band I know of that are going abroad Personally I wish them all well.... the Irish scene is stagnent at best
    not at all! the irish scene is amazing and super and cool and everyone plays whelans once and thats grand so it is.
    Rev Jules
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/11/2005 1:38 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by kierry
    the irish scene is amazing and super and cool and everyone plays whelans once and thats grand so it is.
    And maybe, if they are good, they play it twice and then do a live in studio acoustic cover of a top forty pop song on a breakfast radio show, in an ironic manner.
    flipperstired
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/11/2005 1:49 PM
    oh yeah... and then you get to support someone who thinks dey are somebody in somewhere for some people sometime someplace and den ya ge to com back to de Whelans and yiz is famous en everyone luves ya and yiz get a press release in da Pot Hress and den yiz have made it!
    mick
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/11/2005 3:56 PM
    aye, we be heading off in september, possibly october, depending on my repeats :D change of scenery, chance to learn from some of the mistakes we made first time off here. new ears, new venues, all very exciting for us. one of the major reasons for us leaving is that none of us have ever done the whole travelling during college thing or moving away, or taking a gap year, kinda due to commitments with the band, no body wants to leg it off for 4 months and leave the rest etc. so now we're gettign a chance to do it. also because its only 50 quid or so to get over and back now via ryanair we'll still be able to play here at home when we want to and stuff like that. exciting for us anyhow :)
    kierry
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/15/2005 11:16 AM
    best of luck with it and keep us informed on how its going! anyway, are you having a big going away gig?
    Trigger

--
    3/15/2005 12:28 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wicker
    I disagree strongly ,.....we are producing a lot of quality we just cant sustain it everyone has to head off unless the plan on sitting in Whelans and the like.....Morello just got signed off to the US, Mike Got Spiked are off to play a few dates on the Warped tour.....there is more and more interest being paid to irish bands in my veiw
    loserbrian

--
    3/15/2005 1:53 PM
    I think what was meant there was that nobody gets anywhere in this country unless they go else where which is correct. Its not really a scene if everyone has to leave to make it now is it.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.