You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
stroller
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
8/21/2006 1:57 PM
    What artists do you think reached their creative peak with their debut albums and have being unable to recreate the standard they set for themselves for the rest of their career? I'm going to start the ball rolling with Badly Drawn Boy and Gomez.
    iliketechno

--
    8/21/2006 2:28 PM
    Leftfield - leftism However these guys did a lot of work under different names beforehand so maybe they used up a lot of their juice on previous projects but sure anyhow just to get it started.
    Flux
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/21/2006 2:34 PM
    Two very obvious ones... The Stone Roses Television
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/21/2006 2:36 PM
    The Stone Roses Guns N Roses - Appetite For Destruction Oasis - Definately Maybe
    iliketechno

--
    8/21/2006 2:41 PM
    defintely maybe is definitely not maybe a contender ;- )
    comet
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/21/2006 2:52 PM
    Stereophonics - Word Gets Round Mansun - Attack of the Grey Lantern JJ72?
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/21/2006 2:55 PM
    f**k, remember Mansun?
    iliketechno

--
    8/21/2006 2:58 PM
    It is them with the songs - wide open space and tax loss. Iremember buying a certain brand of guitar strings because they used them - god almighty
    benni
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/21/2006 2:58 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by comet
    Mansun - Attack of the Grey Lantern
    ah that was a deadly one. I always thought (altho we'll never know cause he died n all ) that the Sketches stuff by Jeff buckley wasn't nearly as impressive as Grace. I know it wasnt all completed but even the first few finished bits werent as good. Futureheads would be an abvious more recent example - I was HIGHLY dissappointed. And Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - loads of people disagree with me but I thought they're debut was by far superior.
    off the post
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/21/2006 3:04 PM
    The House of Love De La Soul- 3 feet High Violent Femmes
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/21/2006 3:11 PM
    "I always thought (altho we'll never know cause he died n all ) that the Sketches stuff by Jeff buckley wasn't nearly as impressive as Grace. I know it wasnt all completed but even the first few finished bits werent as good." yeah, there's a lot of filler, but it still has my favourite JB song - Morning Theft, plus Yard Of Blonde Girls is on there too, which is an awesome track.
    Pol
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/21/2006 5:17 PM
    HMMMH pinkerton was great but weezer definetly peaked on the blue album .''This bottle dum dum of stephens ......''
    Unicron
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/21/2006 5:19 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by benni
    quote:
    Originally posted by comet
    Mansun - Attack of the Grey Lantern
    ah that was a deadly one. I always thought (altho we'll never know cause he died n all ) that the Sketches stuff by Jeff buckley wasn't nearly as impressive as Grace. I know it wasnt all completed but even the first few finished bits werent as good.
    But ... but Morning Theft, And The Sky Is A Landfill.
    brindle

--
    8/21/2006 6:29 PM
    hi all - first time posting
    quote:
    Originally posted by off the post
    The House of Love De La Soul- 3 feet High Violent Femmes
    I always prefered Hallowed Ground, the second violent femmes lp. First lp is undoubtedly a classic but Hallowed Ground contains possibly their greatest tune - Country Death Song.
    Antistar
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/21/2006 6:54 PM
    Power Of Dreams- 'Immigrants, Emigrants And Me' Garbage-'Garbage' Curve- Their first batch of EPs are all extraordinary, but never followed them up with a decent album.
    yoshimi

--
    8/21/2006 7:41 PM
    Belle and Sebastian - Tigermilk
    elmo95
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/21/2006 7:41 PM
    Nah always thought Add it Up or maybe Ugly were there best, Blister in the Sun being the one EVERYONE knows. I remember dancing to that in Doyles once. My friend made me pull my t-shirt and start slapping my belly in rhythm. Needless to say I was drunk.
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/21/2006 9:12 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by iliketechno
    Leftfield - leftism However these guys did a lot of work under different names beforehand so maybe they used up a lot of their juice on previous projects but sure anyhow just to get it started.
    Yeah, Leftism is absolute class, such a impossibly brilliant album it would be hard to surpass. Mind you, Rhythm and Stealth wasn't bad either. From rougly the same era, Daft Punk never quite surpassed "Homework" and Fatboy Slims "Better Living through Chemistry" just towers over his later work. I think The Stooges debut stands out as a first album that was never surpassed. It's probably a slightly bizarre choice considering it was such a mess of an album, with maybe only three songs that really stand out as bona fide classic tracks. The thing is, neither Iggy or the Stooges were ever as much fun as on that debut. You don't have to be a great band to fall down after the first album either. Stereophonics even on their first album were a band that you'd politely describe as "workmanlike" but once they'd used up all their weird little welsh village stories, the songwriting managed to sink to mindboggling depths of mediocrity. Slightly off topic, but the acts I find really, really tragic aren't the ones who churned out slighly disappointing 2nd albums, it's more the acts that are at least technically still functioning bands/artist but somehow still haven't managed to follow up a spectacular debut. Where the hell is that Avalanches 2nd album? and what about a follow up to Miss Kittins debut solo album? I Com is to my mind, a total landmark in the history of Electro. OK, it's only been two years, but I wish she'd stop mucking about with DJ sets and get back in the studio!
    Daragh
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/21/2006 9:59 PM
    going old school, Crosby Stills & Nash, what a debut! Also the Strokes, was listening to Is This It? the other day n its pretty savage, anything since hasn't really grooved for me though.
    Basic

--
    8/22/2006 9:49 AM
    RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>