Discussion Forums

PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 3/16/2006 12:04 PM by  Antistar
This Week I Will Be Mostly Be Listening To.....
 39 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Antistar
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
3/16/2006 12:04 PM
    Sun Kil Moon Tiny Cities Stunningly beautiful reworkings of Modest Mouse's album of the same name. Improves on the original. Cat Power The Greatest Her greatest so far. Takes a few listens but works its splendid magic eventually. The fact that she is beautiful helps too. Mogwai Mr.Beast Yet another masterpiece from Glasgow's finest. 'Friend Of The Night' is one the most earth-shatteringly sublime pieces of music since recording began. The rest of the album is rather fine too. Live, though, is where they really come into their own. And then some. The Knife Deep Cuts The birthplace of the jose Gonzalez phenomenon where he initially found 'Heartbeats'. Great electro-pop with lovely heavy Swedish accented female vocals. Tenner in Tower The Album Leaf In A Safe Place An ambient electronic album you can listen to from beginning to end without hitting the skip button. Sublime, dreamy, essential. Tenner in Tower. (I don't work for Tower!!)
    Unicron
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/16/2006 12:10 PM
    I do like The Greatest a lot, but I still prefer Moon Pix. This week I'll probably be listening to "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" a lot, just like last week, and the week before that. After not liking it at all when I first heard it I'm now becoming scarily obsessed with that record.
    mickeyjoe

--
    3/16/2006 12:16 PM
    im listening to the national 'sad songs for dirty lovers' quite a bit this week as well as the guillemots 'from the cliffs'
    palace
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/16/2006 12:18 PM
    this week, i've been mostly listening to this compilation: 1. serena maneesh - candlelighted 2. ride – like a daydream 3. the russian futurists – your big brown eyes and my big broke heart 4. au revoir simone – through the backyards 5. the magnetic fields – all my little words 6. broken social scene – anthems for a seventeen year old girl 7. wolf parade – I’ll believe in anything 8. volcano! – apple or a gun 9. arab strap – no hope for us 10. andrew bird – fake palindromes 11. iron and wine – sodom south georgia 12. okkervil river – come back, i am waiting 13. deerhoof – our angel’s ululu 14. the noisettes - iwe 15. chris brokaw – blues for the moon 16. martin finke – smash and grab 17. 3epkano – lullaby for isobel 18. destroyer - rubies
    Gar
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/16/2006 12:28 PM
    Fiery Furnaces 'Bitter Tea' Still need to get used to it but like it so far. Pretty Girls Make Graves 'Elan Vital' Sharp, inventive and enjoyable. Gets better with each listen. The Album Leaf 'In A Safe Place' I also picked this up for €10 at the start of the week. A really consistent and impressive album. Minus 5 'The Gun Album' Excellent stuff. Cameos from Jeff Tweedy, Peter Buck, Glenn Kotche and Colin Meloy. But it's just one of those rare records that is well crafted from beginning to end.
    ctrlaltdelete
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/16/2006 12:37 PM
    Two Gallants - What the toll tells Best album of the year so far, imo. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones First impressions are pretty positive, need to give it a few more spins Monks - it's black monk time Classic sixties garage rock.
    Protein biscuit
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/16/2006 12:57 PM
    This week i am mostly listening to: The Fall - Peel Sessions Disc 4 Pavement - Wowee Zowee Liars - Drum's Not Dead Silver Jews - American Water The Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady The Wrens - Meadowlands Hmmm, Gar. Did a Google and a look through allmusic.com for The Minus 5. Never heard of 'em before. My curiosity is aroused. Any particular recommendation on which album of theirs i should pick up first?
    Rev Jules
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/16/2006 1:04 PM
    Thats enough out of you - teddy thompson poor, pitiful me - jackson browne cooksferry queen - richard thompson voice of harold - rem
    LooseFir

--
    3/16/2006 1:16 PM
    Andrew Bird - Mysterious Production of Eggs (Best album ever) Pajo - Pajo (like a lost Elliot Smith album, nice) Jim Noir - Tower of Love (such an uplifting album) Beck - Stray Blues (Beck does a mexican cover of Jackass off Odelay,legend)
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/16/2006 1:38 PM
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones Mono - You Are There Analogue Mindfield - Digital Brainwave The Vines - Vision Valley JInx Lennon - Know Your Station Gouger Nation Leya - Watch You Don't Take Off The Bleedin Bleedins - Life Without Computers Graham Coxon - Love Travels At Illegal Speeds David Ford - I Sincerely Apologise For All The Trouble I've Caused
    comet
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/16/2006 1:46 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by LooseFir Jim Noir - Tower of Love (such an uplifting album)
    He is back in Ireland in June, will catch him then, missed him in February. This week I have been mostly listening to Death Cab For Cutie - Plans (very enjoyable i thought) Regina Spektor - Soviet Kitsch (interesting, some good songs)
    off the post
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/16/2006 1:48 PM
    Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit. Pop bliss.
    amawaster
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/16/2006 2:12 PM
    Yeah Minus 5 "The Gun Album" is fantastic (protein this album prob their most polished) Loose Fur "Born Again in the USA" The Modern Lovers - "The Modern Lovers" Talking Heads - "Fear of Music" REM - "Dead Letter office" cos jules just reminded me of it
    MACgirl

--
    3/16/2006 2:28 PM
    Paste Sampler CD with new tracks from Sufjan and Flaming Lips, also stuff from The Avett Brothers, Shawn Mullins, Mugison, Neko Case and Modern Skirts. Also new Delays album "You see Colours", not grabbing me as much as "Faded Seaside Glamour" but still liking it. Belle & Sebastian "The Life Pursuit" and Loosefir thanks for reminding me of Andrew Bird, keep meaning to buy it, will treat myself this afternoon!!
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/16/2006 2:47 PM
    You See Colours is a bit iffy, but I might grow to like it. LOVING the YYY new record. SO GOOD. Really, really hope they hit Electric Picnic, that would make my year.
    vandala
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/16/2006 3:08 PM
    Sleater-Kinney: "The Woods". (Over and over again).
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/16/2006 3:21 PM
    good choice Vandala. Loads of their albums are on special in Tower at the moment - check it out.
    Gar
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/16/2006 6:00 PM
    Protein Biscuit - As amawaster said 'The Gun Album' would be your best bet about getting into The Minus 5 (www.minus5.com) Una - Are the new efforts by The Vines and Jinx Lennon any use?
    stephen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/16/2006 11:07 PM
    Aren't the Yeah Yeah Yeahs the most over-rated band of recent times? I bought their first and was so disgusted at the yelping feel of it that I cannot bring myself to listen to it again. I'll keep trying with the new Flaming Lips this week...but I am finding it difficult. It's such an angry album to these ears. I'll also try Fosbury by Tahiti 80 and I've been saving 1970's Green is Blues by Al Green.
    Antistar
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    3/18/2006 3:40 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by stephen
    Aren't the Yeah Yeah Yeahs the most over-rated band of recent times? I bought their first and was so disgusted at the yelping feel of it that I cannot bring myself to listen to it again. I'll keep trying with the new Flaming Lips this week...but I am finding it difficult. It's such an angry album to these ears. I'll also try Fosbury by Tahiti 80 and I've been saving 1970's Green is Blues by Al Green.
    Yeah, bought 'Fever To Tell', listened to it once and I have never gone back to it since. There is only one decent song on it. They're another lo-fi, punky, ultra-hip NY outfit that music hacks drool over but on closer inspection the quality of the songs just don't live up to the amount the attention they receive. I like Karen O, though...pity about the music.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>