Discussion Forums

PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 8/18/2005 2:28 PM by  Gar
Is Your Collection Healthier Thanks To Cluas?
 31 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Gar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
8/18/2005 2:28 PM
    Has your cd/vinyl collection improved or gone in a different direction since you have been posting on or reading Cluas? This could be in terms of the discussion board or the reviews/interviews on the site. I'm just curious as I picked up Saint Etienne 'Foxbase Alpha' today after Binokular highly recommended them. It's not the type of music I would normally go for but I like the album alot so far. I wondered if anyone made any recent discoveries for themselves that was down to them reading it on Cluas.
    Daragh
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/18/2005 2:36 PM
    theres a few things i've been meaning to check out (saint etienne is one of 'em) but havent been able to afford to yet. I did pick up Iron and Wine, and wasn't overly impressed, gave it a couple of listens, tried again recently but not my cup of tea.
    mcgyver

--
    8/18/2005 3:30 PM
    Got really into Sufjan Stevens after someone mentioned it in a thread recently.2 albums in particular: Greetings from Michigan (Come on feel the)Illinoise. There part of his 50 states project, in which he will make an album on each of the 50 states(2 down ,48 to go!!) These are on heavy rotation at the moment,Id strongly recommend these to anyone who's into Sparklehorse,Brendan Benson,Sea and Cake Etc.... My Two Cents
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/18/2005 7:24 PM
    Well, hasn't actually added to my collection as such because as far as I'm aware they haven't really released anything yet but I came across CH-1 via Cluas and I think they've got real potential. Also I think I heard about the Arcade Fire through these boards too, haven't actually got around to buying their album as I'm not entirely enthused by the album as a whole and other purchases have taken priority, but "Rebellion (lies)" is one of the best songs I've heard in recent times.
    Ciarán Ryan

--
    8/18/2005 10:58 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by mcgyver
    Got really into Sufjan Stevens after someone mentioned it in a thread recently.2 albums in particular: Greetings from Michigan (Come on feel the)Illinoise. There part of his 50 states project, in which he will make an album on each of the 50 states(2 down ,48 to go!!) These are on heavy rotation at the moment,Id strongly recommend these to anyone who's into Sparklehorse,Brendan Benson,Sea and Cake Etc.... My Two Cents
    Jaysus that new one is so f**king good. I'm only eleven songs in (half-way)
    Unicron
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/18/2005 11:21 PM
    Sufjan is playing London soon enough. Fingers crossed for an Irish date.
    klootfan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/19/2005 9:21 AM
    Did Sufjan play the national art gallery a couple of years back..strange place for a gig, but im pretty sure he did
    benni
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/19/2005 9:34 AM
    Yea last year I went to see in him the Hugh Lane Gallery..... very odd setting! His gig was impecible tho seriously. Very humbling to see a performance as raw as that.
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/19/2005 9:44 AM
    woah, cant believe I missed him in the Hugh Lane Gallery. Saw Laura Viers @ The Doughlas Hyde Gallery which was amazing. I've picked up a few things here, for sure. Sharing information is the best way to get to hear new stuff, obviously. Here's a recommendation for the road: like turntablism? http://violentnation.com/fipilele/
    benni
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/19/2005 9:52 AM
    Sorry I mean the Douglas Hyde Gallery!..... or which ever the f**k one is in Trinty... yes I know I am an uncultured swine.
    palace
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/19/2005 10:51 AM
    just adding my appreciation of all things sufjan... that's all
    John Doe
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/19/2005 11:15 AM
    I would have to say no. I would very rarely buy an album without hearing at least one or two songs off it first and since the whole MP3 revolution has bypassed me completely that means relying on Tom Dunne, Alison Curtis and the other usual suspects for exposure to new music. Incidentally on the topic of gigs in strange venues, I once witnessed the Godlike genius that is AIMEE MANN playing in the RDS..library.
    klootfan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/19/2005 12:02 PM
    When I first found cluas, i checked out all the free mp3's that artists had provided and i definitely went out and bought quite alot of music by those artists. Since then, from time to time ive taken peoples recommendations on board and gone out and bought albums, and in general I tend to like what ive bought.
    sweetie
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/22/2005 2:29 PM
    That sufjan gig in trinity was indeed class.
    Pilchard
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/22/2005 3:09 PM
    he's playing The Village (ugh) in October, 14th I think. New album is a cracker
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/22/2005 4:49 PM
    I think the Village is one of the far better venues in town
    benni
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/22/2005 4:51 PM
    f**k that!! Devoid of atmosphere!!! One of my most hated places to see a band.
    Unicron
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/22/2005 5:01 PM
    I've seen 2 great gigs in the Village (Devendra Banhart & Interpol) so it's not impossible for there to be a good gig there, would those gigs have been better elsewhere? Who knows.
    Pilchard
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/22/2005 5:17 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Una
    I think the Village is one of the far better venues in town
    are u joking una??? the point is a better venue than the village and it was designed to hold trains and trams the village is a venue which was designed by idiots who knew nothing about music venues. it follows on the mess which was made in the 1st place when they turned the wexford inn into the mean fiddler. the stage is in the completely wrong place, the acoustics are terrible and it still feels like you're on a ferry going over to Holyhead. i've yet to be at a gig there which i thought would not have been better in another venue - that includes Dev Banhart. dublin's venues are, with one or two exceptions, horrendous places. a friend of mine works with PA companies in the UK and says that all touring sound engineers dread Dublin shows unless theyre Vicar Street. They reserve particular contempt for the Ambassador which has the worst sound and ambience of all. the best venues of all are sleazy boxes where the only money has been spent on black paint and getting the sound right. we need more such hovels (large and small) in this town. but as everything thats not fixed down is getting turned into apartment blocks, thats not going to happen. Frank Gleeson and co spent a fortune on the Village and still got it wrong. its a place designed along similar linkes to those identikit new apartment blocks and "designer" bars. In 100 years time, our kids will look back with horror at what passed for design in ireland.
    palace
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/22/2005 5:21 PM
    ditto pilchard's rant above vicar street is the place all right... ...still, by a distance, i'd rather sufjan in the village than not at all
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>