You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Una
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
8/7/2005 6:10 PM
    this band is becoming moderately successful, yes? Well, in a small part of Dublin anyway it seems. But I just listened to a song on the CPU site, 'Psycho Lover' and it is woeful. Their relative popularity is bemusing.
    miju

--
    8/7/2005 8:54 PM
    Yeah I cant understand it myself I saw em in Dorans last year and whilst I didnt like their music their show was good but then at Oxegen the front man was sticking his hands down his bags and the mic as well and I was like what the f**k is that all about? then I walked out and aint listened to em again
    benni
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/8/2005 9:11 AM
    I never really paid any attention to them (cause I really despise any kinda clicky scene s**te) until recently and I gotta say now that I have I actually like them. And I really like that Psycho Lover song. But then I am a huge fan of 80's Matchbox B-line Disaster and they are very very similar to them. And they arent just doing ok in Dublin - the last I heard they had played two fairly succesful shows in Londons The Rhythm Factory.
    Daragh
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/8/2005 9:31 AM
    aye think they're pretty good myself, definitely live anyways, not sure that i'd buy anything they've released so far. They seem to be doing well enough abroad, London, SXSW, and think they did a little tour of Europe too, mainly Germany me thinks.
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/8/2005 11:24 AM
    It kind of annoys me when people say bands are good live because the leadsinger runs around and does 'crazy' s**t. If their songs are bad (and from what I've heard so far, they are definately not great) then I don't wanna know.
    benni
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/8/2005 11:32 AM
    I have yet to see them live actually.... but in fairness sometimes there are bands who just are better live than on record - maybe because their stage performance is intrisical to how their music transfers to the listener / audience or whatever but it is true. Anyway regardless there does need to be good tunes there to begin with and I think they're doing ok. They really really sound like 80's Matchbox.. tho but then to me that could never be a bad thing.
    Daragh
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/8/2005 11:44 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by benni
    I have yet to see them live actually.... but in fairness sometimes there are bands who just are better live than on record - maybe because their stage performance is intrisical to how their music transfers to the listener / audience or whatever but it is true.
    what benni said.
    Dromed
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/9/2005 10:34 AM
    Great band - tight as f**k, loads of attitude, fascinating on stage -they actually make an effort to put on a performance you'll remember. There are few bands that are as entertaining or exciting in Ireland at the moment.
    Mully
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/9/2005 10:53 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dromed
    Great band - tight as f**k, loads of attitude, fascinating on stage -they actually make an effort to put on a performance you'll remember. There are few bands that are as entertaining or exciting in Ireland at the moment.
    What she said.
    nessy05

--
    8/9/2005 11:54 PM
    Pete Doherty went to their gig in the Rhythm Factory in London a few weeks ago - said so in NME... quite funny we were siiting outside a local pub having lunch the following day (no I wasnt at the gig) and they walked past.. i says in a faux suprised voice thats yer man from Teh Things... 2 of them looked! The omelette and chips were nice!
    Dromed
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/10/2005 9:42 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by nessy05
    i says in a faux suprised voice thats yer man from Teh Things... 2 of them looked!
    What's your point? Two of them looked? So what. You said something loud enough for their benfit and they heard you - Is that meant to indicate something?
    stroller
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/10/2005 3:57 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Una
    this band is becoming moderately successful, yes? Well, in a small part of Dublin anyway it seems. But I just listened to a song on the CPU site, 'Psycho Lover' and it is woeful. Their relative popularity is bemusing.
    I don't think that tune is bad at all. In all fairness all of their mp3s on that CPU site are rough live demo's that were recorded years ago when they were just starting off. I saw them live once and they made quite an impression. I'd rather see an Irish band that were influenced by the cramps and the Birthday Party than one of the countles number of c*nts who look no further then the Frames and Paddy Casey and what ever other MOR heap of sh*te that Tom Dunne is playing on Today FM this week. And I'd rather see a fontman who takes a leaf out of Iggy Pop's book than say Bell X1's Paul Noonan who looks about as comfortable on stage as an adolescent with cerebral palsy slow dancing with his sister at a wedding.
    Mully
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/10/2005 4:06 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by stroller
    Bell X1's Paul Noonan who looks about as comfortable on stage as an adolescent with cerebral palsy slow dancing with his sister at a wedding.
    Strange, I'd say Noonan have improved no end, in the stage presence dept. Not sure about his 'shaping', mind.
    benni
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/10/2005 4:11 PM
    Sure we can all make up our minds at HWCH - they're playing on the Sunday... I think. T'will be my first time seeing them (well paying attention that is) so I'm looking forward to that one.
    miju

--
    8/11/2005 1:16 AM
    rumor has it (from a few friends of mine who witnessed it) that when the things last played HWCH as soon as they started playing the whole venue emptied except for about 20 people
    johnny cash

--
    8/11/2005 1:51 AM
    the things are the f**kin best band in dublin
    roonus

--
    8/11/2005 8:32 AM
    THE THINGS Up-coming Live Dates August Saturday 13th: Endorset in Dorset Festival, UK (on stage 8.30pm) Saturday 20th: Psychotic Reaction, Crawdaddy, Dublin (on stage 12.30am) Sunday 21st: Whelans, Dublin (supporting Arctic Monkeys) Sunday 28th: Spirit main room, Dublin (HWCH, on stage 9.20pm to 9.50pm) September Thursday 15th: Rio, Berlin Germany (Popkomm) more tbc.... www.thethings.net
    LooseFir

--
    8/11/2005 8:52 AM
    I'd rather go see Bell X 1 than the things, i've seen the things a few times and everytime i get bored by the third song coz its the exact same as the others. No offence, its just nothing new, bell x 1 at least have variety in their tunes, ie. go listen to music in mouth.
    roadhousemag
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/11/2005 8:58 AM
    The Things have had 350 views on this topic, regardless of what you think of them, that's some good publicity. I happen to think they are a decent rock n roll band. The singer has the stones circa 72 look with the eye shadow etc... their whole "look" works because it adds to the atmosphere their music creates. Isn't that the idea? Especially when doing a live show? Frankly I'm glad they are nothing like zzzzzzzzzbellzzzzz x1.
    benni
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/11/2005 9:03 AM
    Agreed - methinks roonus is using this post to the maximum potential - and rightly so. I'm glad to see that their doing their own thing and I look forward to seeing them at the HWCH fest. Oh and personally I'd prefer to remove my own intestines with a rusty blade than endure Noonan and co. BTW (off topic) - Roadhousemag... are u Daraghs mate I met at Beat Connection? I remember u saying you had stated up an e-mag.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>