You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 3123 > >>
Author Messages
benni
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
6/15/2005 10:54 AM
    Anyone know when this old fav is gonna be up and running again? Used to be some good nights and gigs in there. I'm looking to set up a new indie night and was thinking of enquiring here. I DJ in another club in Dublin but I'm looking for a smaller place to play some more left field stuff, not so NME driven etc( Does that sound really pretentious?!) Anyway yea... no clue when its supposed to be reopening its doors. Anyone have any info?
    Norman Schwarzkopf
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    6/15/2005 10:56 AM
    Mildly pretentious... ;) No info, sorry. Where do u DJ?
    benni
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    6/15/2005 11:01 AM
    Ykno Doyles, kinda near the screen cinema? Well Downstairs there. I'm itching to get somewhere that i can play less obvious stuff aswell tho ykno. Dont even know if it'll work but as much as i do love the current stuff I kinda get sick of the usual Franz/Killers forumula that I have to adhere to for most of the night.
    Norman Schwarzkopf
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    6/15/2005 11:05 AM
    Dont blame ya. Been down in Doyles a few times. The ironic mash-ups they throw in get a little annoying. I think it was Sesame Street/The Beautiful People last time. Only ever seen a guy DJ there though so it obviously wasn't your fine self. :) So give me a sample of what u'd like to play...
    benni
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    6/15/2005 11:14 AM
    Ha! Thats upstairs proabably. the DJ up there is great... does go in for the very unpredictable remixes! I'm down in the basement and I'm female so that defo aint me! As far as stuff I'd like to play well... I usually sneak in some of this at the start but I wanna play more of it.. stuff thats just not heard in every other indie / alt club... The Knife, Blonde Redhead, The Notwist, 80's Matchbox BLine Disaster, Gang of Four, Cat Power, Velvet Underground, Out hud and then even just less obvious stuff by The Rapture, Radio 4, The Concretes and a whole lot of very new music say for example (at the mo) Editors, The Magic Numbers,Be Your Own Pet etc... And some Irish stuff too, theres a lot of Irish bands that have grabbed my attention which never really happens - like Director and Dark Room Notes. Just a big mish mash of not so predictable 'I hear the same stuff every damn week' tunes!
    sweetie
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    6/15/2005 11:28 AM
    I used to dj there until they decided to extend a while back. I was playing pretty much what you have suggested above i.e. indie, hiphop, electronica and not your typical whelans fare. Basically it was a decent spot but the clientele was very rarely interested. Sometimes somebody would show some interest but many a friday night there was just one man and his dog listening. They have not decided what the music policy will be in the new setup and I hope business will improve with the luas stop and the fact they have rebuilt. I am hoping to be involved again myself but haven't heard from them in a while so don't know when it will be open again.
    Norman Schwarzkopf
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    6/15/2005 11:31 AM
    Hmmm....innnnteresting. I cant remember the last time I heard a song I liked but didn't know in a club. And u NEVER hear new Irish stuff. Maybe I'm goin to the wrong places. Well if it takes off for ya, I'll be there front row centre!
    benni
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    6/15/2005 11:35 AM
    Re: Sweetie; Cool cool - dont think i ever saw you dj there... otherwise I would've been chewing your ear off and annoying you with music chatter I'm sure! Well I hope you get back in there man seriously. If so post a message or whatever I'd be well into checkin out a night that plays that stuff.. as well as being involved in one. I know how you feel re: the non reaction thing. Its s**t especially when you know that the stuff your playing should really be heard in a club, dya know what I mean? Hopefully they'll do a big relaunch to get some exposure and interest and hopefully they'll keep the old music policy! Re: Norman I'll put you on the guest list - I WILL have the power Oh and it'll be a skinny tie and fashionable hair cut entrance policy only.
    keith-biotech

--
    6/15/2005 11:58 AM
    Ah Isaacs !!! Manys the great night I've had down there, in its heyday twas quite a spot . Afaik Melodica are going to be running a progressive house night there , but as to what else is happening, and to what musical persuasion they will lean to , remains shrouded in mystery
    Norman Schwarzkopf
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    6/15/2005 12:03 PM
    I just TOLD you im too lazy to look for a skinny tie! ;) Dont have enough hair to "get my manga head on" either. *sigh* I'll just sit in the corner and not cause trouble.
    benni
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    6/15/2005 12:09 PM
    Heheh Ok well I reckon you'll get in on the basis of your witty quotes and anti establishment (anti skinny tie and haircut) stance. Rebel! But yea once again if anyone knows any details... or indeed any other suggestions for somewhere else they'll be greatly appreciated.
    Norman Schwarzkopf
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    6/15/2005 12:13 PM
    Go me! Have a gander at my deeply unpoular topic while yr on known as "Great Opening Lines". It's the Cluas topic equivalent of the unfashionable boy in the corner who's actually dead interesting and cool once you get to kow him. :)
    benni
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    6/15/2005 12:16 PM
    I've actually been thinkin on that one since I saw it... I'm a bit miffed!! I'm trying to think of something cool! I'l be there soon tho i s**t you not!
    CH-1

--
    6/15/2005 1:14 PM
    hi Richie here(drummer from CH-1). was wondering about the new isaacs myself. used to run a DJ night in the hub and djed around the place and looking to start or dj at a new night with stuff that isnt your run of the mill indie stuff. play electronica and some better indie stuff keep me posted if yous hear anything cheers Richie www.chanelonesound.com
    benni
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    6/15/2005 1:22 PM
    Hi Ritchie Congrats by the way on the way things are goin for ya. I wouldnt even mind gettin a few people together and trying to get something really off the ground a la the lads who ran the night at Helter Shelter - but a bit more successful (no offence intended) so if yourself(or anyone else for that matter) would be interested and has some cool ideas drop me a mail. ;-)
    CH-1

--
    6/15/2005 1:31 PM
    whats your email address?
    benni
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    6/15/2005 1:41 PM
    burdy832@hotmail.com .......confidential information my dear.
    pockets

--
    6/15/2005 2:14 PM
    hey richie (sorry, and benni), this is conor from mainline, as you know i wouldnt be the most technical of djs (i.e cant beat match super mix) but if you ever get anything up and runnin give us a shout. its about time some good nights start ... Ahem "Happining"
    benni
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    6/15/2005 2:22 PM
    Like I say man drop me a line.. its all good. Be nice to get a good bunch of people together purely for the sake of (cheese) the music. I'm lookin into a few places at the moment but its kinda goin nowhere. Any ideas on venue or any s**t at all would be cool.
    CH-1

--
    6/15/2005 2:38 PM
    howdy conor cheers for the shout out to channel one on atl tv last night would be cool to get a new night going alright
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 3123 > >>