You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Gar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
5/24/2005 12:34 AM
    Just about at the halfway stage of the year. What do people reckon are some of the albums of the year so far? I'll throw a few out first.... Bloc Party 'Silent Alarm' Ryan Adams & The Cardinals 'Cold Roses' The Coral 'The Invisible Invasion' Eels 'Blinking Lights And Other Revelations' Martha Wainwright 'Martha Wainwright' British Sea Power 'Open Season' Wallmark 'Everything, Something, Anything' Beck 'Guero' Weezer 'Make Believe' Kaiser Chiefs 'Employment' Doves 'Some Cities' Aimee Mann 'The Forgotten Arm' Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds 'B-Sides & Rarities' 66e 'Fall Down Seven Times, Stand Up Eight' Teenage Fanclub 'Man Made' Mountain Goats 'The Sunset Tree' Heartless Bastards 'Stairs And Elevators' Great Lake Swimmers 'Bodies And Minds' Bruce Springsteen 'Devils And Dust' Hal 'Hal' Spoon 'Gimme Fiction' (No wonder I'm always broke, with those being just some that I've bought this year)
    Daragh
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    5/24/2005 6:38 AM
    is The Coral album out yet? I thought it was 26th May, must get it if it is. M83 'Before The Dawn Heals Us' is a great record too, that would be top of my list for 2005 so far.
    Ruby
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/24/2005 7:55 AM
    Album of the year : The Others
    spurtacus
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/24/2005 9:06 AM
    The M83 album is good, thought the last album was better though, 'Satans Circus" by Death in Vegas gets my vote
    ishrink
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/24/2005 9:40 AM
    Weezer? You've *got* to be kidding. edit: Oh, and err, my favourites so far: Redjetson - New General Catalogue Hood - Outside Closer Sleater-Kinney - The Woods Bloc Party - Silent Alarm Of Montreal - Sunlandic Twins Stars - Set Yourself on Fire
    aidan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    5/24/2005 10:56 AM
    as you may have guessed from my review on the site, for me 'want two' by rufus wainwright is the best I've heard so far in 2005: great tunes, clever lyrics, thoughtful songs, playing around with styles, plenty of confidence and attitude and a sense of humour too - after a few years it will be seen as being a very influential record.
    John Doe
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/24/2005 11:26 AM
    Joe Chester - A Murder of Crows
    Unicron
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    5/24/2005 1:27 PM
    Very little has really blown me away this year, The Bloc Party and Wainwright siblings' albums stand out but I'd hardly say that they are destined to be classics.
    Pilchard
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    5/24/2005 1:52 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by John Doe
    Joe Chester - A Murder of Crows
    Oh yes - great album Also Antony & The Johnsons "I'm Like A Bird" Arcade Fire "Funeral" Konono No 1 "Congotronics" Gorillaz "Demon Days" (fantastic album!) MIA “Arular” Bruce Springsteen "Devils & Dust" Seu Jorge "Seu Jorge" Amos Lee "Amos Lee" Glimmers "DJ Kicks" Various "Soul Gospel" Husky Rescue "County Falls" And i hope that the forthcoming Sons & Daughters, White Stripes, Magic Numbers, Kanye West, Cane 141 and Brian Eno albums will be as good as I think/expect them to be!
    Daragh
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    5/24/2005 1:56 PM
    That Konono No 1 album is very good, I dont think it really comes across that well on the recording though. I would imagine they are amazing to hear live, (and the album is still very good) but I get the feeling that there is an awful lot was lost in the translation.
    Rev Jules
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    5/24/2005 2:09 PM
    I am probably going to get hung for this but I don't think that Bruce Springsteen's "Devils & Dust" is comparable in quality to either 'Nebraska' or 'Ghost of Tom Joad'. Yes, it is a very fine album but there is something missing, prehaps it is intent. Bruce never meant 'Nebraska' to be released, it started out as a series of private demos for the 'Born' sessions and yet, there alone in his house we saw Bruce at his most raw. This one sounds too finished.
    off the post
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/24/2005 2:53 PM
    My fav of the year so far has to be Mercury Rev - Secret Migration. A real slow burner. They also have a new bass player who has a real meandearing type of beat which gives a kinda jazzy feel to the album.
    Gar
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    5/24/2005 3:13 PM
    Rev Jules - I totally agree. If 'Devils & Dust' was Bruce's first record we might we here discussing the talent of this fine songwriter but with such great albums already behind him, this simply does not hold enough punch to tackle either 'Nebraska' or 'Ghost Of Tom Joad'.
    Eric
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/24/2005 3:30 PM
    For me so far: Jack Johnson 'In between dreams' Arcade Fire 'Funeral Lou Barlow 'Emoh' Go Team 'thunder lightening strike' Joe Chester 'Murder of Crows'
    stroller
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    5/24/2005 5:27 PM
    I know I'm repeating myself but the following albums were all actually released last year; Arcade Fire - Funeral The Go! Team - Thunder Lightening Strike Husky Rescue - County Falls Anthony & The Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now They're all class records though, and in all fairness the music scene does seem to have an awful sense of Déjà Vu about it these days so it's easy to get confused. What with Jerk It Out by The Caesars, Banquet by Bloc Party, Decent Days and Nights by The Futureheads and Oh My God by the Kaiser Chiefs all getting re-released this year. And apparently Riot Radio by the Dead 60's, I Predict A Riot by the Kaiser Chiefs, The Greatest Hit by Annie, All These Things That I've Done by the Killers and even Freak Scene by Dinosaur Jr are all set for a second release before the end of the summer. Oh well I suppose it's all just a little bit of history repeating. Is that Joe Chester fella worth a look? Does he have a website or is there anywhere online where you can check his stuff out?
    klootfan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    5/24/2005 5:30 PM
    you can check out samples of his tunes, joe chester that is,at www.joechester.com And im my humble opinion, he is he peeertty darn good
    Pilchard
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    5/24/2005 5:31 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by stroller
    I know I'm repeating myself but the following albums were all actually released last year; Arcade Fire - Funeral The Go! Team - Thunder Lightening Strike Husky Rescue - County Falls Anthony & The Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now
    well, both arcade fire and antony & the johnsons were released in europe (which is where we are the last time i checked) for the first time this year. the others were 2004 releases over here. it kinda makes me think that we have too much of a hang-up about release dates, i remember hearing wilco's "yankee hotel foxtrot" for the first time in 2003, a full year after its release, and falling head over heels for it. its music, after all - if its good, it will always find its way to u
    stroller
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    5/24/2005 5:46 PM
    Fair enough. I know everyone and their uncle is mad about Yankee Hotel Foxtrot but am I only person who actually prefers Summerteeth?
    Pilchard
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    5/24/2005 6:47 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by stroller
    Fair enough. I know everyone and their uncle is mad about Yankee Hotel Foxtrot but am I only person who actually prefers Summerteeth?
    jesus no, u are not alone- i had a huge row with my brother about that one a few weeks ago. be assured stroller, there are many people who prefer Summerteeth - and some even prefer Being There.
    Eoin
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/24/2005 9:10 PM
    some of mine... Mercury Rev - Secret Migration Josh Rouse - Nashville Great Lake Swimmers - Bodies & Minds Ryan Adams - Cold Roses that Joe Chester record is good, must give it another few listens.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>