33 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
TBMusicCentre

--
5/5/2005 5:38 PM
    Hiya, Anyone have a favourite Music Film/ Documentaries or even if you will Rockumentaries..?? Hoping to show series of them in the Music Centre for Free
    Daragh
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    5/5/2005 5:42 PM
    great idea, "The Last Waltz" - about the band, more of a live gig i suppose "Eat The Document"/"Don't Look Back" about Bob Dylan "The Soft Bulletin" - about The Doors em, thats all i can think of at the moment
    Rev Jules
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    5/5/2005 6:08 PM
    Lou Reed - American Masters' (PBS) http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/database/reed_l.html Best Jules
    Daragh
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    5/5/2005 6:11 PM
    oh and the Woodstock movie, part documentary, few live performances, but absolute quality, love it
    Gar
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    5/5/2005 6:28 PM
    You should defintely show 'Standing In The Shadows Of Motown'. It is such an informative, entertaining, insightful film. I would second 'The Last Waltz' and even suggest any of the 'Jools Holland' dvds as they have some cracking performances. For a more humourous take 'A Mighty Wind' is a good laugh and 'Spinal Tap' is great. And in terms of music being a major theme within a movie - 'Almost Famous' and 'High Fidelity'.
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    5/5/2005 10:46 PM
    SPINAL TAP
    amawaster
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/6/2005 12:22 AM
    "I amtrying to break your heart" wilco docu by Sam Jones, the argument over the mixing is the greatest scene i've ever seen in a music documentary
    Rev Jules
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    5/6/2005 7:26 AM
    HEARTWORN HIGHWAYS
    Daragh
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    5/6/2005 8:54 AM
    oh two more "Scratch" excellent movie on roots of hip hop and "Before The Blues" documentary by Scorcese, think its in 7 parts, and while not all are great some are definitely worth showing, someone has my copy so i cant remember all the names but standout ones are the one which Scorcese directs himself, the one about Chess Records (n' hip hop) and the British Blues Scene
    Rev Jules
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    5/6/2005 8:59 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Daragh
    and "Before The Blues" documentary by Scorcese, think its in 7 parts, and while not all are great some are definitely worth showing, someone has my copy so i cant remember all the names but standout ones are the one which Scorcese directs himself, the one about Chess Records (n' hip hop) and the British Blues Scene
    I thought 'Soul of a Man' by Wim Wenders was the standout of that series.
    Daragh
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    5/6/2005 10:06 AM
    which one was "soul of a man"? one of my friends has had the feckin series for about 8 months! Oh was that the one with Blind Lemon Jefferson, and Skip James? if so it was excellent, (...must get those dvds back)
    pockets

--
    5/6/2005 10:15 AM
    yeah a good recent documentary, i think, is DIG. it follows a band named the brian jonestown massacre and shows there part to play in the rise an fame of bands like the dandy worhols and brmc. its one of those documenteries that makes you feel like this band would be the greatest band in the world if they could just keep their s**t together
    bonzo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/6/2005 10:24 AM
    Some Kind of Monster.
    dirtyboots

--
    5/6/2005 10:34 AM
    great rock n roll circus....(with rollin stones and everyone!)
    Rev Jules
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    5/6/2005 10:45 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Daragh
    which one was "soul of a man"? one of my friends has had the feckin series for about 8 months! Oh was that the one with Blind Lemon Jefferson, and Skip James? if so it was excellent, (...must get those dvds back)
    Yes, it was, to be fair, they were all excellent and any preference is just personal choice. Found the british one started slow and then really got going, brilliant.
    TBMusicCentre

--
    5/6/2005 12:42 PM
    Thanks for all the feedback. The Wilco is a Definite. Hoping to get a new Brian Wilson one as well. Will check out the other suggestions...
    Eoin
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/6/2005 12:47 PM
    the best one I have seen by miles is 'Westway To The World'. Its a documentary on the Clash made by Don Letts and released in 1999 I think. Great interviews and some great old footage of the band playing live and just larking around. There is one a saw a few years ago on TV called 'A Message To Love', its all about the Isle Of Wight Music Festival, the year The Who were on the bill I think, its really great but I dont think it is on general release, I tried for ages to track down a copy but it is out of print. SHould show it if ya can get yer mitts on a copy.
    Lucera
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/6/2005 1:47 PM
    Spinal tap man!!! Ya gotta! I'm a big fan of the Buena vista Social club doc but I don't reckon that'd go down too well
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    5/6/2005 1:48 PM
    oh, also The Ramones one
    Lucera
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/6/2005 1:49 PM
    24hr party people