Discussion Forums

PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 5/1/2005 1:07 PM by  Unicron
So, we're all supposed to start saying mean ...
 45 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 3123 > >>
Author Messages
Unicron
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
5/1/2005 1:07 PM
    ... things about Humanzi now right? http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2091-1582680,00.html Not had the chance to hear them yet but I've heard good things. Apparently they're on the Pixies bill as well.
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    5/1/2005 1:10 PM
    yeah, i heard this before, but I thought the whole million euro thing was just bulls**t. Obviously not. But, record deals these days are basically bank loans, so I hope they're not holding their breath to actually earn that money back.
    bilbo baggins

--
    5/1/2005 10:08 PM
    humanzi are a great act,no need to start to be mean.
    Wicker
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/2/2005 8:11 AM
    fair play to them....
    Gar
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    5/2/2005 9:43 AM
    This can only be good news. Even if Humanzi flop, the erection of a solid record company signing upcoming bands in Ireland is great. Best of luck to them.
    Pilchard
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    5/2/2005 1:05 PM
    that kind of money is dead silly but that the record industry for ya. the label idea is interesting but it remains to be seen if there was a huge amount of acts out there to be signed to a major subsidary that said and talking of bands signing deals, someone was telling me the other night that there are a few Irish acts (Marshall Stars, Director, i think he said) just signed to major label deals. heard nothing about them so fair play to those boys and even better for keeping their heads down and getting on with things. yes, getting a deal is a big deal - but making great records and selling them is a much bigger thing. i saw humanzi last year and thought they were OK but then, i'm not an A&R man running around like a headless chicken after the latest big things
    nonemoreblack

--
    5/2/2005 1:31 PM
    The article says the deal could earn them $1 million, to me that suggests it would only be so if they actually make it as a successful international band. Personaly I can't see it, I don't think they offer anything new or interesting, just the same old retro r'n'r. Good to hear there might be a label offering some solid investment in Irish bands though. But personally I'd be very wary of record companies promising large sums of money. You have to pay it all back in the end and usually lose a lot of your artist's rights in the process.
    stroller
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    5/2/2005 2:15 PM
    Does anyone have any links to where I can check out their tunes online?
    Butt

--
    5/2/2005 2:56 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by nonemoreblack
    The article says the deal could earn them $1 million, to me that suggests it would only be so if they actually make it as a successful international band. Personaly I can't see it, I don't think they offer anything new or interesting, just the same old retro r'n'r. Good to hear there might be a label offering some solid investment in Irish bands though. But personally I'd be very wary of record companies promising large sums of money. You have to pay it all back in the end and usually lose a lot of your artist's rights in the process.
    my understanding of a typical deal with a major: e.g. it's a deal worth "one million euro"... - you've a contract with them for, say, 5 albums, - so company will invest €200,000 into the first album...this covers recording costs, promotion & advertising, video shoots etc. - say as part of the deal the band will earn €2 for every album sold, then they need to sell 100,000 copies to pay back the 200k to the record company and only then will they start making money from the sales...in the meantime if that 100,000 sales mark is met, the record company has got their €200,000 back while they've also earned €2-3(part of contract) on every album sold so a band could sell nearly 100,000 units and not make a penny from the sales but it's gigs and merchandise that bands at that stage would make their money from....afaik, the royalties from radio play is good too
    Wicker
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/2/2005 3:18 PM
    this link is well worth checking out (a million is not a lot in the grand scheme of things) the problem with music by steve albini http://www.arancidamoeba.com/mrr/problemwithmusic.html
    dudley
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/5/2005 11:30 AM
    didn't humanzi used to be listo? awful band 8)
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    5/5/2005 11:39 AM
    did they? hmmmmmmmmmmmm think i saw them once about 5th on the lineup in the Hub on a tuesday or something then so.
    spurtacus
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/5/2005 11:40 AM
    Humanzi are an incredible band, yeh 3 of them were in Listo
    Mully
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    5/5/2005 11:43 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by spurtacus
    Humanzi are an incredible band, yeh 3 of them were in Listo
    One More Tune, One More Tune ... I'll always hate them for that being popularised !
    spurtacus
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/5/2005 11:53 AM
    Ye've lost me altogether there
    Mully
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    5/5/2005 11:56 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by spurtacus
    Ye've lost me altogether there
    Listo were the lads at the end of the Vodafone ad from a few yrs ago.
    Pilchard
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    5/5/2005 1:33 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by stroller
    Does anyone have any links to where I can check out their tunes online?
    this strikes me as the most pertinient thing about the whole Humanzi thing. I've seen them live twice (Hard working class skangers and Whelans in Feb) and thought they were OK. But i have heard no tunes./MP3s/demos etc because they seem to be keeping them under lock and key (except if u are a company willing to spend 1.1 million yoyos on them). me, i'm gonna wait till theres some music to hear before jumping up and down with excitement or irritation.
    pockets

--
    5/5/2005 4:00 PM
    Humanzi are a f*****g amazing enigmatic band, who deserve praise rather than this drivel - give'm a chance before you rate them an dont go on the word of some phylistine writer, who goes against all journo rules by puttin somethin to print which was jst out an out s***e (he didt even get there names write!) have seen them 4 times and all an all, great band
    Mully
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    5/5/2005 4:20 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by pockets
    Humanzi are a f*****g amazing enigmatic band, who deserve praise rather than this drivel - give'm a chance before you rate them an dont go on the word of some phylistine writer, who goes against all journo rules by puttin somethin to print which was jst out an out s***e (he didt even get there names write!) have seen them 4 times and all an all, great band
    Excellent first post.
    Pilchard
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    5/5/2005 4:20 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by pockets
    woah there cowboy, i thought the members of Humanzi were in London today signing their big deal? surely none of the band or their mates or their managers take the time out to read little ol' cluas and respond to criticism here??? and if u took the time to read my last mail, thats what I just said - lets give them a chance before anyone rates them or slates them so what exactly did the bloke from the Sunday Times get wrong? And why didnt an apology and correction appear in last sunday's paper then?? and hows the day-job.....?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 3123 > >>