You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Rev Jules
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
3/9/2005 11:44 AM
    Last friday, the Guardian Review published an article about female guitar bands entitled, 'What no pillow fights ?' http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/fridayreview/story/0,12102,1429411,00.html The article asked the question, "has the female rock revolution finally arrived ?" This came as a bit of a suprise to me since I was a teenage fan of Suzi Quatro - who ended up swapping her electric guitar for a 12 gauge shotgun (she went into competative clay pigeon shooting) and an admirer of Sheryl Crow, Toyah Wilcox, Bonnie Raitt and Patti Smith. So, whats the story ?
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/9/2005 12:06 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rev Jules The article asked the question, "has the female rock revolution finally arrived ?"
    We will know thats happened as soon as no one in the press makes an issue of it or raises an eyebrow.
    kierry
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/9/2005 12:32 PM
    in male dominated areas it takes a long time. if you're a talented female you are usually marketed by your looks too, which doesn't help...
    jmc105
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/9/2005 12:45 PM
    not sure if the article's 'revolution' is that the media are treating female bands differently now, or just that there are more of them than before, or both. i think there will always be more male bands than female, though. this might well be a load of bollix, but i just think that teenage boys are more likely to start a band/playing guitar, because playing/singing other people's songs (as a starting point) provides a way of dealing with & expressing whatever they may be feeling, which is something i think teenage girls are more capable of doing just by talking with friends. plus of course boys are so much cooler than girls...
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/9/2005 12:55 PM
    Just wondering, does anyone think that this seems to be more of an issue in some genres (such as rock) than others? I mean take dance/electronic music. Once you get past typical Ministry of Sound Male superstar DJ culture and Electronica laptop nerdboys, women seems to have greater chance of getting a lot of respect. Ellen Allien is probably the most respected name in the Berlin Electro scene. Then you have the likes of Chicks on Speed, Miss Kittin and Nicola Kusperus (of Adult.). Interestingly nearly all the names I've mentioned except Miss Kittin run their own record labels so maybe this is the only way for them to operate on their own terms? Maybe attitudes are no different in thsi genre after all, just that these women have tackled the problem in an extremely smart way?
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/9/2005 12:58 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by jmc105 but i just think that teenage boys are more likely to start a band/playing guitar, because playing/singing other people's songs (as a starting point) provides a way of dealing with & expressing whatever they may be feeling, which is something i think teenage girls are more capable of doing just by talking with friends.
    Or just that teenage boys are more interested in impressing teenage girls than teenage girls are in impressing teenage boys...
    Unicron
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/9/2005 6:15 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Binokular
    Just wondering, does anyone think that this seems to be more of an issue in some genres (such as rock) than others?
    Can't think of all that many great female blues guitarists (that is to say, I can't think of any).
    JJFoxx

--
    3/9/2005 6:31 PM
    Ah. Bonnie Raitt is a deadly guitarist.
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/9/2005 6:39 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Unicron Can't think of all that many great female blues guitarists (that is to say, I can't think of any).
    Noted Female blues guitarists are pretty rare alright, but that doesn't mean women have been entirely on the sidelines in that genre. Odetta for example is utterly fantastic and up there with any of the legendary bluesmen. Probably the main reason she never rose to prominence as a guitarist is that her voice is absolutely magnificient. Deep and rich in tone, it needs little acompaniment, so it became the focus of her recordings and performances. She would often sing without any instruments. Still, her guitar playing is regarded as quite influential on 60s folkies. However, misogyny can definitely be found in the blues. Usually its quite playful, still it would be pretty hard to get away the slightly tongue in cheek "Payin the cost to be the boss" today. I think its possibly partly to blame for where some of the attitudes found in rock and hip hop today.
    Rev Jules
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/10/2005 8:20 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Binokular
    However, misogyny can definitely be found in the blues. Usually its quite playful, still it would be pretty hard to get away the slightly tongue in cheek "Payin the cost to be the boss" today. I think its possibly partly to blame for where some of the attitudes found in rock and hip hop today.
    Although the same does not seem to be the case in country music which has as many high profile female artists as male artists; Alison Krauss, Sara Evans, Dolly Parton, Mindy Smith, Patsy Cline, Martina McBride, Alison Moorer, The Judds, Emmylou Harris, Shania Twain, Gretchen Wilson, Lucinda Williams...I could go on, you get the point. Actually, Shania Twain's producer (and husband) is none other than Mutt Lange who produced AC/DC, a great band but not one you would associate with a progressive view of women, and a certain D. Arkness.
    sweetie
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/10/2005 9:30 AM
    More examples of successful female artists: Kathleen Edwards, Loretta Lynn, Shelby Lynne, Liz Phair, KD Lang, Kate Bush, Tori Amos, Be good tanyas, Dixie Chicks, Kathryn Williams, the waifs, elastica.
    Dromed
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    3/10/2005 9:50 AM
    Chrissie Hynde, Poison Ivy, Sister Rosetta Thorpe
    Rev Jules
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/10/2005 10:16 AM
    Alainis Morissette, Stevie Nicks, Beyonce, Heart
    Kajagoogoo

--
    3/10/2005 10:39 AM
    The Donnas
    klootfan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    3/10/2005 10:46 AM
    Veruca Salt, Hole
    retards

--
    3/10/2005 11:27 AM
    girls rock more than boys.. sleater kinney, erase errata, le tigre, the slits, the raincoats, electralane etc. etc.
    Dromed
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    3/10/2005 12:08 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rev Jules
    Alainis Morissette, Stevie Nicks, Beyonce, Heart
    Beyonce plays guitar??? The first album I ever bought was a Heart album...ooohh the shame!
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/10/2005 12:22 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dromed
    Originally posted by Rev Jules Beyonce plays guitar???
    Nope, but Madonna does, even nominated for a gibson guitar award too. Can't remember if she won or not though.
    Rev Jules
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/10/2005 1:10 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dromed
    The first album I ever bought was a Heart album...ooohh the shame!
    BAARRAAACUUUDDDDAAA ! No shame in that, saw them in Vicar Street last year - long story, ace gig ! BAARRAAACUUUDDDDAAA !
    Wicker
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/10/2005 1:14 PM
    Other artists worth remembering Joni Mitchell, Nina Simone (piano obviously) Carol King
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>