You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
john@soundweb.ie
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
3/8/2005 4:15 PM
    wow, sounds like a thesis title doesn't it. anyway, thats what i think and its going to be f**king hilarious by all accounts, faux army uniforms the lot... adam ant would make a killing if he hadn't already tried that with a starter pistol. what next, return of breakdance-burglars robbing kitchens of their lino? don't laugh, that happened in donaghmede circa 1986.
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/8/2005 4:45 PM
    Surely it already happened (albeit on a limited scale) around 2001 onward interwined with the so-called electroclash thing? Fischerspooners ridiculous "look-at-me" pop theatrics, Erol Alkan including Duran Duran in his set, Duran Duran themselves making a comeback and acts like Ladytron and Felix da Housecat taking an obvious Human League influence.
    Dromed
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    3/9/2005 9:32 AM
    I'm a bit of a new romantic lover and have a real soft spot for Adam Ant and bands like Fischerspooner and Ladytron...however, this is worth having a look at as to why it could be a dangerous thing!!... http://www.retrotrashelectroclash.com/pics/may2004/event-photos.html
    Rev Jules
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/9/2005 10:32 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dromed
    I'm a bit of a new romantic lover and have a real soft spot for Adam Ant and bands like Fischerspooner and Ladytron...however, this is worth having a look at as to why it could be a dangerous thing!!... http://www.retrotrashelectroclash.com/pics/may2004/event-photos.html
    Yes, I always liked Adam and The Ants too. 'Stand and Deliver' is a classic. Had a look at that link but can't quite see the problem with attractive young women flouncing around in skimpy gold lame costumes...But maybe thats just me
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/9/2005 10:38 AM
    The girls in the gold suits look like they've lost an argument with some baking foil.
    Optimus
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/9/2005 11:23 AM
    It's terribly depressing that music has started repeating itself so soon into the "naughties", and from an era thats not all that far away. Has everything in music been done already? Have we run out of stuff to write, record or listen to? It's happened to Hollywood. Why not the music scene?
    Rev Jules
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/9/2005 11:33 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Binokular
    The girls in the gold suits look like they've lost an argument with some baking foil.
    ...And fallen face first into the cosmetics counter at Brown Thomas...as have their male counterparts
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/9/2005 11:53 AM
    Music repeating itself is something I've thought about a lot Optimus. The way I look at is to step back and look at things on a wider scale. Music moved forward more in the last 100 years than it did in the previous thousand. I put this mainly down to the advent of radio and recording. Basically for the first time, huge numbers of ordinary people were able to hear music they would have never heard otherwise. This huge cross pollination of musical ideas lead to a surge in creativity and new genres popping up all over the place, when you think about it, people were only taking in what they heard and recombining and reinterpreting it with their own twist as people have always done, except now with this huge range of influences, the process was sped up and everything seemed far more new and exciting. I think what we are seing now is a slowdown of the initial "big bang" effect those technologies had, everybody has kinda had a chance t hear everything and music is going back to evolving at its more natural rate. The technology that had an effect was in the instruments we use. I don't think a lot of people fully understand the importance and effect of things like amplification (e.g electric guitars) and synthesis. While human creativity unlocked the potential of those instruments, a lot of the music came from the characteristics and harmonics we found in those instruments. Anyone who says electronic instruments are souless does not really understand synthesis. Acid house probably would have never evolved like it did had the Roland TB-303 not been so imperfect at doing what it had been designed for (souding like an electric bass). I don't think we have seen much in terms of really groundbreaking new music technology in a while. e've had digital technology for ages now. Midi is still midi (thank god, part of what makes it so useful), synthesis is still synthesis whether done in hardware or moddelled in software, Sampling is just easier these days, audio manipulation - old hat, and everybody has got their head round amplification. Basically we haven't seen a completely radical, never-seen-before-in any-form new music technology in a while. Maybe when we do, we will see one or two new genres spring up.
    Optimus
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/9/2005 12:50 PM
    Good points there Binokular, however - I dont think it's the tools that need to be focused on here. It's the "talent", per say. If we were half as creative as you think we are, we wouldnt need to rely on the creation of new musical tools in the hopes of bringing out some original and fresh music. These days, anyone and everyone is picking up a guitar or bass or whatever, and plugging away at it. Pretty soon, because of the nature of the business, more and more bands are being signed. Not because they're good as such, more because they're a necessity. A&R men see money, where as bands see a future in music, and a paid one at that. And for an A&R man to keep on generating money, he'll sign a band up purely because the mood of music is shifting a particular way and the band he's signing more or less sounds similar to the genre. As a result, you get major saturation within the market, from a couple of dozen bands who all sound similar. Some may make 2 or 3 records. Most will only make one and be gone a year or so later. And as a result of the A&R men mass signing the quick fixes in the music world, the genuinely talented and inventive bands, are over-looked, mostly because they're too radical for the current popular scene. But then, once again, the music world begins to go "back to it's roots", which is such a cliché that it should be printed on every t-shirt ever. To me, going back to ones roots, as they continuously put it, is a cop out and an easy way to explain the regurgitation of old music by new bands. This is the sad part. Purely because we get another cycle of the afore mentioned routine, only this time, copying a previously heard style of music, with less flair or creativity, just to sell a couple of records. Once again the truly inventive bands are passed over in favour of the quick fix. Rather than pushing a band that could last a long time, you get a sequence of mediocre bands(some of which have potential) being signed, pumping out a record or two, making a bit of money, and then being dropped by the label, into obscurity. To be honest, one of the most original and striking bands in years, Muse, have lasted longer than I could've expected. And I like them. Even if they are just "Jeff Buckley on Speed", as I like to call 'em.
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/9/2005 1:17 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Optimus
    Good points there Binokular, however - I dont think it's the tools that need to be focused on here. It's the "talent", per say. If we were half as creative as you think we are, we wouldnt need to rely on the creation of new musical tools in the hopes of bringing out some original and fresh music.
    I'm not saying we need to rely on the creation of new technology, people can be pretty creative with very little. What I'm more getting it is technology is a force thats often bigger than we realise. It dramatically speeds things up. A bit like discovering fire, it brings change whether we seek it or not. Like the TB-303 and acid house, that was a fluke, a happy accident, which combined with a small bit of creative thinking led to something wonderful. After all, the Beach Boys "good vibrations" just wouldn't have been the same if Lev Sergeivitch had never invented the Theremin. The Doctor Who theme tune would have been pants too.
    Optimus
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/9/2005 1:40 PM
    Some of that stuff was a touch too technical for me. So I'll just go with it for now. But the Doctor Who theme is pants regardless.
    spurtacus
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/9/2005 2:06 PM
    anything that would be absolutely 100% original would also be fairly near 100% unlistenable IMHO
    Optimus
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/9/2005 3:09 PM
    Um. Ok.
    Wicker
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/9/2005 3:10 PM
    there seems to be very much a saturation point with computer based instruments also (VSTi's) with the majority of them just emulating Synths of days gone by. I see the movie industry as being very similar to the record industry in a sense. The majority of all movies coming from the states are re-hased, remakes or just sequels... Imagination and innovation is being overlooked for the latest remake
    Optimus
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/10/2005 7:58 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wicker
    Imagination and innovation is being overlooked for the latest remake
    My point exactly.
    Rev Jules
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/10/2005 1:20 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Binokular
    What I'm more getting it is technology is a force thats often bigger than we realise. It dramatically speeds things up.
    With that in mind I thought I would direct your attention to Gibson's new digital guitar. Bear in mind guitar technology has changed little over the last number of decades. Sure materials get better, pick ups etc get better but this appears to be a little different. http://www.gibsondigital.com/
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    3/10/2005 1:56 PM
    Thanks Jules. Thats very, very cool, although not quite as revolutionary as Gibsons marketing department would have us believe. *ANORAK ALERT - reading the rest of this post may send non music geeks to sleep * Interfaces for converting the out put from a guitar to a digital signal have been around for a few years now. M-Audio do somw very nice firewire ones. As for replicating other guitars, audio modelling has been around for a while. You can replicate guitars amd other instruments convincingly with software like Reason 2.5, without even needing a guitar at all. The purists are probably reeling in horror at this, but only trained ears could probably tell the difference. I have other software with some rather cool amplifier emulation. You can even take a sample of a gently strummed acoustic and make it sound like a full on electric, with amps turned up to 11 and My Bloody Valentine levels of distortion. Theres even (real) guitar amps that can emulate other guitar amps and guitars. The really clever bit of that guitar is that you have a digital pickup in the guitar itself, which basically means you can rock it out old skool analogue Hendrix style one minute and then Neosupervital synthar electropop the next. Very, very cool, not sure if its quite worth the asking price though! I'm not even sure if this really is the first of its kind either, there was another guitar called the variax from a smaller company that did something very similar a while back, though I don't know if it used an ethernet connection.
    stroller
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    3/10/2005 7:32 PM
    quote:
    one of the most original and striking bands in years, Muse
    There's nothing original about taking the worst bits of the music that Radiohead were making nearly ten years ago and dumbing it down so that it will appeal to the cretins who read Kerrang.
    Optimus
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/11/2005 8:35 AM
    Mayhaps. But they still sell more records than I'm sure you'd care to admit. They also have alot of talent that cant be denied. And they've become more popular than your precious, and often overhyped, Radiohead. There's no denying the facts.
    Wicker
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    3/11/2005 12:34 PM
    I'm inclined to agree........ Muse is like an over produced phantom of the opera with geeetars not my bag at all
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>