You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Gar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
1/30/2005 10:59 PM
    I'm always going on about how the reviews on this site are never discussed in the forum as much as maybe they deserve to. This is not me trying to gloat but for Cluas regulars and whoever might read this ite to appreciate the effort that the voluntary writers put into writing about the gigs they attended and albums they bought. Some of the writing is good enough, and better at times, to be in national publications. This has also been evident in some of the interesting interviews, opinion articles and feature pieces that are currently live on the site. So read some of them and post your opinions up. So, up for you all to devour are live reviews of The Cleary's (The Frames), Bloc Party, a very honest and witty review of 66e aswell as a very impressive review of Velvet Revolver. And also there's an album review of Ray LaMontagne. Oh and the new installment of the 'Gigs Of The Fortnight' is up. No pressure on you to read them all now. Enjoy & Discuss!!!
    Unicron
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    1/30/2005 11:03 PM
    Aww shucks Gar, you're too kind. I liked your Cleary's review and I'll get to Bloc Party at some point.
    Gar
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    1/30/2005 11:15 PM
    Exclusive: The impossible has been done. Throughout the media platforms worldwide, this feat has never been attempted and yet Ian Wright pulls it off in one swoop. 'But it’s a somewhat akin to saying that Shelbourne’s Alan Byrne is a bit like Ronaldinho, they’re kind of trying to do the same sort of thing and neither could be called bad, but one is doing it to an infinitely higher standard.' Genius. The whole review had me interested, as I missed that gig and quite like the 66e, but that line had me laughing out loud. Same with the Velvet Revolver review. Very insightful, well structured and enjoyable to read. I wasn't crazy about their debut album but I heard good things about their performance in The Point. Fair play Wayne.
    mick
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/31/2005 1:42 AM
    no offence unicron but i'm not overly impressed by the review, not just because i'm biased being a fan of 66e, but you dont really speak about their music except to compare it with radiohead. yes you say bits about it, but dont write about the atmosphere of the songs, or how they move etc. anyway, thats just what i like to read in reviews, i guess you only get it in gushing reviews though. personally i find comparisons to be pretty weak journalism i should try and befriend you journalist types not insult you guys... right? ;)
    Gar
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    1/31/2005 7:16 AM
    No, all opinions are valid. Fair play for being honest.
    Vent My Spleen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    1/31/2005 9:10 AM
    Interesting point about comparisons Mick. I personally feel that when a band are relatively unknown, a point of reference is very useful (even if the band might take offence). Describing them as a particular genre is pretty useless given the amount of bands who straddle indie, rock etc etc. Obviously, bands that get covered in mainstream journalism are reasonably well known and their music can be described in more general terms, given the assumption that many readers will already be familiar with their work. If someone 'rocks', I like to know if they rock like Sonic Youth, Motley Crue or Sepultra. What does anyone else think?
    flipperstired
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/31/2005 11:18 AM
    I was at 66e on Friday and I was blown away. I think you hit the nail on the head Unicron when i refer to this follwing line in your article: "Whatever it is that I don’t see in the band, the audience's eyes are open to it and, god bless them, their opinion is more important than mine. I might not be back for more but it looks like they will" I will be back for sure. Apart from the lack of referral to the music compositions themselves which the E produce I have no problem with your opinion on the gig. I do however believe you might be in the minority on this one. Granted as Mick said, a more detailed review of the musical infrastructure may come with a more positive report on a gig but I still feel the the "a bit like radiohead" quotes are to frequently thrown about these days as a substitute for actually trying to get inside the music and talk about it. Nevertheless, I am fairly confident that 66e will rise and i was told on the night though am waiting to hear from others if this is true, that the support band, Delorentos, have been added to the bill supporting Jove?????? Anyone clarify that?? If so, and i agree with you on this one Unicron, they are one super band i saw & they really rocked the place in order to use your words "Vent my Spleen". Gotta say this, as I genuinely think it warrants saying, thats those 3 bands on the olympia line up plus Alphastates... serious gig! My Whelans review: 9/10
    spurtacus
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/31/2005 11:42 AM
    yeh, anyone with educated ears should really check that gig out, my ears studied law in Harvard so i'll defo be there!!
    bonzo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/31/2005 12:05 PM
    For what its worth I thought that it was a fair and balanced review. Fully justified in making the Radiohead comparison it is very obvious that 66e are trying to achieve that same sort of sound. While I like the songs on the website some of their sound is a bit indulgent. Hope to check them out live myself in the near future.
    Gar
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    1/31/2005 12:33 PM
    As far as I'm aware, Liquid Wheel dropped out of the Jove headliner at the Olympia. So The Delorentos are replacing them. I reckon it will be a cracking gig, nice mix of bands at it. It's good to have alot of reaction to Ian's 66e review, about time this board came alive again.
    flipperstired
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/31/2005 12:34 PM
    You just aint gonna let me live that one down are you spurtacus!!! lol
    Unicron
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    1/31/2005 1:40 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by mick
    no offence unicron but i'm not overly impressed by the review, not just because i'm biased being a fan of 66e, but you dont really speak about their music except to compare it with radiohead. yes you say bits about it, but dont write about the atmosphere of the songs, or how they move etc. anyway, thats just what i like to read in reviews, i guess you only get it in gushing reviews though. personally i find comparisons to be pretty weak journalism i should try and befriend you journalist types not insult you guys... right? ;)
    How DARE you critique something that I have poured my heart into producing, I will make it my mission in life to crush Polar under the sole of my boot. Nah it's cool, whatever you think is right as far as you're concerned, it's all opinion and no one is definitively right and no one is definitively wrong. And maybe you're right about the overuse of the Radiohead comparisson when anyone with a slightly high pitched singer is referred to as Radioheadesque (Coldplay, Keane etc.) when there is no substantive musical similarity but in this case I think it was justified because there are real similarities between the sounds that the band produce. In fact at the third or fourth song I turned to the guy I was with and said that "thats the little beepy bit at the end of Airbag and the start of Paranoid Android and that keyboard part is really like Everything in its right place", and lets not even get onto the subject of Ed's (admittedly impressive) vocal stylings, at first listen it seems obvious that they are heavily influenced by them and to not mention it seems ridiculous. And I think I mentioned something about what I thought of their sound, shapeless being one adjective that I remember.
    Unicron
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    1/31/2005 1:41 PM
    And Delorentos are playing that gig at the Olympia
    mick
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/31/2005 2:19 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Unicron
    How DARE you critique something that I have poured my heart into producing, I will make it my mission in life to crush Polar under the sole of my boot. Nah it's cool, whatever you think is right as far as you're concerned, it's all opinion and no one is definitively right and no one is definitively wrong. And maybe you're right about the overuse of the Radiohead comparisson when anyone with a slightly high pitched singer is referred to as Radioheadesque (Coldplay, Keane etc.) when there is no substantive musical similarity but in this case I think it was justified because there are real similarities between the sounds that the band produce. In fact at the third or fourth song I turned to the guy I was with and said that "thats the little beepy bit at the end of Airbag and the start of Paranoid Android and that keyboard part is really like Everything in its right place", and lets not even get onto the subject of Ed's (admittedly impressive) vocal stylings, at first listen it seems obvious that they are heavily influenced by them and to not mention it seems ridiculous. And I think I mentioned something about what I thought of their sound, shapeless being one adjective that I remember.
    finally my online arch nemisis its probably because i'm in a band that i get annoyed about use of comparisons... i do realise that they are definitely necessary to give an idea of what a band sound like, especially a relatively small time band. i guess i cant reallysee the radiohead thing... definite similarities in style alright but i think 66e azre doing it very differently, with many more influences... personally i'dve cited sigur rós as one of their influences. "Their compositions are shapeless, they seem more concerned with sonic landscaping then thinking about the soil below that needs to be healthy in order for that landscape to blossom." i think 66e arent trying to go the "song" route if ya get me? more landscaping as you so rightly put, instrumentals with words as they even describe themselves. anyway, sure tis all opinion, i do think its a well written review just have a thing about comparisons however needed they are
    spurtacus
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/31/2005 2:30 PM
    The rollercoaster ride analogy in the Bloc Party review was all a bit too NME for me!
    bonzo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/31/2005 2:34 PM
    So Mick - you do think they sound like Radiohead?
    Gar
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    1/31/2005 3:35 PM
    It's funny that you mentioned the NME influence for the rollercoaster structure for the Bloc Party review, since I've never read the NME.
    mick
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/31/2005 5:22 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by bonzo
    So Mick - you do think they sound like Radiohead?
    i think radiohead have alot of different styles and i think pablo honey is very different to kid a (politician style answer ) they are definitely influenced by radiohead alright, but i think many bands are, and personally they wouldnt be the first band that i'd compare the 66e to. saying that i wouldnt do any comparing ya know
    Ruan

--
    1/31/2005 5:24 PM
    i thought the explosions in the sky comparisson is closer than radiohead.
    mutch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/31/2005 5:25 PM
    just on the velvet revolver review, for any guitarists thinking about buying an acoustic simulator pedal, Slash actually uses a pick up system thats attached to the bridge in an unusual manner hence the acoustic sound. cant remember the name of it, just thought I might save someone 120 Euro on an effects pedal!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>