You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Gar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
12/5/2004 3:07 PM
    If you think about certain films, songs or musical performances come straight to mind. But what are the most memorable ones? Michael Madsen grooving to Steelers Wheel while slicing off a cop's ear or any score John Williams has produced. Feel free to mention numerous movies but try to answer these following questions..... Best Theme Tune? Best Musical Performance In A Film? Best Soundtrack? Best Musician Cameo?
    Archie
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12/5/2004 3:38 PM
    Best musical performance: Jack Black at the end of High Fidelity springs to mind, but I'm sure there's more. Best Theme Tune: My Heart Asks Pleasure First from the Piano ( repetititititive, but insistently beautiful, and very simply expressive to play, for all you pianists out there.) Best soundtrack: So many, but for me at the mo, the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Never before has a soundtrack fitted the film so perfectly. Howard Shore is an unappreciated genius. Did anyone yet buy the directors cut of Donnie Darko, with the mysteriously different soundtrack. Best musician camoeo: haven't a clue.
    amawaster
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12/5/2004 5:55 PM
    best musician cameo would have to be Billy Idol in Wedding Singer. perfect and actually funny. best soundtrack would have to be the Rushmore soundtrack, has Cat stevens, the who, kinks and others plus a great score from Mark Mothersbaugh
    Archie
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12/5/2004 9:38 PM
    Ooh, Bohemian Rhapsody in the car at the start of Waynes World. Classic moment.
    Optimus
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12/6/2004 9:29 AM
    Best Theme Tune? "March of the Jedi" from the end of A New Hope Best Musical Performance In A Film? Stillwater in Almost Famous Best Soundtrack? The Empire Strikes Back or Almost Famous Best Musician Cameo? Eddie Vedder in Singles OR Alice Cooper in Waynes World
    mutch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12/6/2004 10:46 AM
    Theme Tune: Back to the future. Heuy Lewis and the News, the power of love. Just great escapism. Nothing else! Musical performance: my own favorite is alice in chains in singles cos its the only time ive ever seen them perform plugged in and live. Soundtrack: the commitments, if it wasnt for roddy doyle making a feck of working class dubs it would have been a better film but sure thats the way Musician Cameo: Alice Cooper in Waynes world. That or Eoin McLove. Lovely stuff.
    Karlito
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12/6/2004 10:53 AM
    Best Theme Tune - Not quite a film yet, but when it gets made and the music doesn't change it wll be the A-Team - but bringing back to the present I think The James Bond theme. Musical Performance in a Film - Soggy Bottom Boys in Oh Brother Where Art Thou? or Val Kilmer in Top Secret doing "You gotta straightent he rug" Soundtrack - There are so many but I really like the Kill Bills (2 Cd's) Cameo - David Hasselhof in Dodge Ball - and yes he is a musican
    mick
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12/6/2004 11:22 AM
    sigur rós at the end of vanilla sky... best musician cameo - david hasselhoff in dodgeball :D
    clamps

--
    12/6/2004 12:51 PM
    opera music in raging bull!
    elle

--
    12/7/2004 8:30 AM
    Best theme music - The Deer Hunter
    stephen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12/7/2004 8:48 AM
    Best Theme Tune? Nino Rota's The Godfather. extraordinary piece of music. Best Musical Performance In A Film? The Afghan Whigs is what is probably my favourite movie, Beautiful Girls. Which incidentally has the best "Drunken blokes round a piano" scene when Timothy Hutton and Matt Dillon belt out Sweet Caroline after more than a few whiskeys to impress the impossibly luscious Uma Thurman. Best Soundtrack? Probably Lost In Translation. Complemented the movie perfectly. Best Musician Cameo? I would go for Tom Waits in Short Cuts... although I guess it's fair to say his performance is more than a cameo. Alice Cooper's turn in Wayne's World 2 made me giggle.
    milky

--
    12/7/2004 9:40 AM
    Dont think it is the best musical performance but it always sticks out in my mind Counting Crows Colourblind in Cruel Intentions. Best Soundtrack cant really decide but 2 of my favourites would be Romeo and Juilet and O Brother Where art thou
    kierry
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12/7/2004 11:51 AM
    Best Theme Tune? hmmnn.. one of the best bits when music appeared for me was Radiohead - everything in its right place in Vanilla Sky.. y'know when he was driving.. goosebumpy moments.. and when that song at the end of Donnie Darko... the tears for fears one.. ah.. Best Musical Performance In A Film? by a band? hmmnn... gotta be spinal tap. Best Soundtrack? spinal tap/star wars Best Musician Cameo? eh... god. dunno. madonna, noo.. eh.. someone said Alice cooper, and i'll go with that.
    bear

--
    12/7/2004 10:56 PM
    got onto this one late... but have good suggestions!! anyone see buffalo 66? great film!! two great musical interludes! the father character singing "fools rush in (where angels fear to thread)" and the use of yes' "heart of sunrise" at the end is mindblowing! it's also got original music by writer/director/leading man vincent gallo. oh, and the singer of the frank sinatra type song "fools rush in" (in real life and not in the movie) was vincent gallo senior. keep it in the family. the film's also got christina ricci tap dancing. recommended!!!
    elle

--
    12/8/2004 8:40 AM
    just watched Disco Pigs last night, great film, loved the way they used Your Face in that ashtray scene, class!
    oscar

--
    12/8/2004 9:23 AM
    something by enya in some film
    Gar
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    12/9/2004 2:52 PM
    Best Theme Tune? Has to be Star Wars. Personally, I love Ghostbusters but Star Wars is just so recoginisable, powerful and it builds up the tension so quickly. Best Musicial Performance In A Film? There are so many to mention, like Karilto mentioned Soggy Bottom Boys or Archie mentioned Jack Black doing his Marvin Gaye tribute. But for me it is The Blues Brothers. The scene when they sing 'Rawhide' behind the chicken wire, class stuff. Best Soundtrack? Again so many to choose from. Star Wars, Pulp Fiction, Lord Of The Rings, O Brother Where Art Thou, Vanilla Sky, Wonder Boys, Kill Bill 1 & 2, Million Dollar Hotel. But my vote goes to Almost Famous. It is just the perfect soundtrack. Bowie, Beach Boys, Elton John, Cat Stevens, The Who all on one record. Masterfully compiled. Best Cameo Appearance? I'm actually undecided on this one.
    gordon67

--
    12/11/2004 1:46 PM
    ride of the valkeries in apocolypse now???
    gordon67

--
    12/11/2004 1:52 PM
    or have we left out Stuck in the middle in the classic scene from Resevoir Dogs
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    12/11/2004 4:08 PM
    The use of music in "Shaun of the Dead" is pure genius and often great in terms of comedy value. Like the bit where they are walking home from the pub singing "White Lines" by Grandmaster Flash. Playing records ast 3 in the morning which leads to the great line "It's not hip-hop... it's Electro..." or the way the jukebox in the pub thats on random (plays Chigago "if you leave me now" after Shauns' girlfriend breaks up with him, Queens' "Don't Stop Me Now" while a Zombie attacks them). Other tracks used to good effect include The Specials "Ghost Town, The Smiths "Panic" and even the clever use of an Osomyso bootleg that uses the Kernkraft 400 track "Zombie Nation" Lost in Translation is great too, still listen to it from time to time.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>