You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
El Duderino
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
8/23/2004 11:07 AM
    Before I say anything else I should state that I have no claim to being the biggest Frames fan ever, I have the albums and I go to the occasional gig but that's about it. It was after the gig in Marley Park I got thinking about this. I can't understand why so many Irish people that genuinely have a love of music have such a hatred of the frames?! It can be argued that they do run the contemorary Irish music scene at the moment, but then again, if they didn't it'd just be someone else. I would go so far as to say that this is necessary ever since the axing of no disco left a big hole in our lives. I can sort of understand why some people love the frames to a near bunny boiler degree because, love them or hate them, they always put on a good show and I have never heard or read an interview in which Glen Hansard has sounded like a pretentious prick. If it was the case that they went abroad and made their name in England or elsewhere and totally forgot their roots I could understand the whole Frames bashing thing (does anyone like The Thrills???). But they've put in the hard yards at home and have tried to strehgthen the Irish music scene, in my opinion anyway.
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/23/2004 11:15 AM
    YANFA - Yet another frames argument OK post away kids, but play nice
    Gar
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/23/2004 11:19 AM
    Alot of people use The Frames as an easy target. I think they are a top notch band that always release decent albums and have been great the few times I've seen them live. It must be hard on the lads not breaking into England but they never seem to falter on Irish shores. What was the Marley Park gig like?
    El Duderino
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/23/2004 11:25 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Gar
    What was the Marley Park gig like?
    I thought it was pretty damn good. Not sure about the support acts though. I missed Halite and Bellx1. Idlewild and supergrass didn't really capture my attention. They did have to compete with the getting of beer though. They were doomed to failure
    Gar
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/23/2004 11:34 AM
    I'm surprised you haven't mastered that yet. Usually when a decent support act is on, I won't be moved especially if I'm covering the gig so I always presuade a mate to get the beers. 'Oh yeah I'll get the next one, I swear'.....but by the time I finish my beer, the main act would be on and everyone would be too interested in seeing the band rather than getting a beer. Easy trick that works. Probably only works on fairly gullable mates but worth a try. So Damien Rice came on stage. Was he any use? And from setlist I saw, The Frames didn't play many new tunes...what were stand-out new songs?
    El Duderino
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/23/2004 11:41 AM
    Finally was the standout new song for me but maybe that's because it was recognisable. Damien Rice was pretty good. Got a great reception from the crowd and played well. The frames didn't play many new tunes but at your first major outdoor headlining gig I suppose your first priority has to be getting the crowd into the moment, which is alot easier done with old, well known tunes. I'm looking forward to the new album though
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/23/2004 11:42 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Gar
    I'm surprised you haven't mastered that yet. Usually when a decent support act is on, I won't be moved especially if I'm covering the gig so I always presuade a mate to get the beers. 'Oh yeah I'll get the next one, I swear'.....but by the time I finish my beer, the main act would be on and everyone would be too interested in seeing the band rather than getting a beer. Easy trick that works. Probably only works on fairly gullable mates but worth a try.
    haha, thats just evil Gar, the mild mannered reporter with notebook thing is just an act, your supermans evil twin aren't you?
    Karlito
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/23/2004 11:54 AM
    What I will say about The Frames, and I like them by the way, is that they seem to have spawned a lot of singer-songwriter type music which is bland, well in the current saturation of the "scene" with this stuff. So by association, a lot of people, that I know would just write them off and find and easy target as Gar says. Also I find that people don't actually like Glen Hansard as they do think he is a prick and goes on too much and all that, at the gigs and if he's spotted around town or whatever he seems to be ignorant unless your a chick. So my point is, your always gonna get people liking/disliking bands, especially when they get too big for their boots in some peoples eyes, same applies if Bell X1, Republic Of Loose Tychonaut, all these bands get huge in Ireland first and start making a bit of noise elsewhere - it typical Irish begrudery
    Gar
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/23/2004 11:56 AM
    Nah its just that a mate of mine who went to see The Frames with me at Lisdoonvarna wasn't interested in the slightest. He was there for The Frames that's it. So he kept bugging me to go off and get a beer but I was over at Stage 2 watching Mark Geary, Damein Dempsey & Josh Ritter. He was like a little kid 'Can we go now?'. So I eventually brokered a deal and got rid of him for a bit. After The Frames were finished, we fell asleep on the ground when Christy Moore was playing. A pure rookie at the gig going thing. I don't usually even drink at gigs, only at one's in small venues. Let's switch this topic back towards The Frames. What was so good about their performance over the w/e? Did Glen talk to the crowd much?
    Gar
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/23/2004 12:04 PM
    That should've been 'HE' fell asleep when Christy Moore came on. I don't usually ask him to go to any gigs anymore. I know what you are saying Karlito. I think that the Republic Of Loose will make it elsewhere, but even if they don't they still kick ass at the moment. Don't know why The Frames can't make it abroad, they have really good albums to back up their live shows.
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/23/2004 12:32 PM
    Gar, The Frames do sell quite a lot in the US, however they are not exactly making huge waves, but thats no different to their slow but steady progress here really, is it? I think you will be interested in this US review of "Set List": http://www.popmatters.com/music/reviews/f/frames-setlist.shtml
    Archie
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/23/2004 3:09 PM
    The Frames are just a great Irish rock band who always put on a great show. And as well it has to be said that our dear Glen always really seems to appreciate the fans at the shows, and is always chuffed at big turnouts. They don't go abroad because, well, what would be the point? They've all they're interested in right here. There not really into the corporate side of things. I've never thought so at least. As for the gig. Halite bored me to tears as I came in, Bell X1 were brill should have been higher on the bill, Idlewild were average, Supergrass terrible, Frames excellent as always.
    Rev Jules
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/23/2004 7:14 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Archie
    They don't go abroad because, well, what would be the point? They've all they're interested in right here. There not really into the corporate side of things.
    Eh, for a band that aren't interested in abroad, they have signed their fair share of record contracts with international record companies. Oh yes, and they've just signed a deal in the USA with Sub Pop.
    Archie
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/24/2004 9:14 AM
    Have they? Didn't hear that! I feel so cheated...
    clamps

--
    8/24/2004 2:01 PM
    why do people hate the frames? ........because their fans start these kind of treads!...........and there music is crap! simple really
    El Duderino
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/24/2004 2:57 PM
    Clamps, why so aggresive man? Chill. As I stated I don't count myself as a huge fan of the Frames but you have given a perfect example of what I was talking about. Should the fact that they draw alot of fans be held against them? I fear I may get a reputation as a devout Frames fan so I'll leave it at that. I started this thread more as a comment on culture and counter culture (in musical terms) than an oppurtunity to wax lyrical about the Frames. They are just an easy example in an Irish context
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/24/2004 3:18 PM
    Disliking the Frames for their fans would be like hating Gary Numan for the really scary "Numanoids" that follow him round. On the other hand they do play up to that adoration a bit too much.
    Brain of G
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/24/2004 3:30 PM
    The love some Frames fans have for Glen Hansard reminds me of the adoration a lot of Jim Morrison's fans used have for him which I find a bit scary. They are, after all, only a band. Regardless of how good/bad you think they are.
    mutch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/24/2004 3:45 PM
    is this frames thing primarily a dublin thing, or am i missing something, i like the gist of what they do, they're just not my cup of buckfast, i mean i love ac/dc but dont like zepplin, you know? i love sean tyrell's music but cant listen to the frames for some reason, but ive nothing against them either, so like, are their fans really that bad?
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/24/2004 3:50 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by mutch
    is this frames thing primarily a dublin thing, or am i missing something,
    Well, they did practically live in Whelans for a while, but the Frames fascination seems to definitely extend outside the pale, or maybe its just the same people following them round?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>