You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Gar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
7/22/2004 2:22 PM
    With Springsteen popping up in High Fidelity with some advice and Tom Waits currently playing piano in Shrek 2. I wondered what are the most notable cameo's by musicians in films. Anyone know of any good one's?
    El Duderino
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/22/2004 2:39 PM
    Blues Brothers has to have the best musician cameos. John Lee Hooker, Aretha Franklin, James Brown and Ray Charles aswell as the blues brothers backing band. Musical mecca me thinks
    Gar
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    7/22/2004 2:45 PM
    Totally agree with ya on that. Great soundtrack and kickin film. A timeless classic!!!
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    7/22/2004 2:52 PM
    I'm sure Nick Cave popped up in Shrek 2 too, singing "people aint not good" or maybe it was just the song being used, can't remember. He's been in a few other movies too apparently, but I haven't seen them. Don't remember Springsteen in High Fidelity, which scene?
    Karlito
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/22/2004 3:00 PM
    Tom Waits is in Mystery Men with Ben Stiller, he is also in Bram Stoker Dracula if I remember correctly David Bowie in Zoolander
    Brain of G
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/22/2004 3:03 PM
    Elvis Costello in Austin Powers. Who did Waits play in Dracula?
    Gar
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    7/22/2004 3:03 PM
    When Rob Gordon is going back calling all his ex girlfriends. Springsteen pops up playing electric guitar and gives Rob advice on 'callin em up and seeing how they are, they feel good maybe but you feel better'. Then Rob salutes him and says 'thanks boss'. A short cameo. Yeah Nick Cave has a song on Shrek 2 soundtrack. Other music cameo's is the Bob Dylan project 'Masked & Anonymous' and Krisofferson and Dylan again in 'Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid'
    Karlito
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/22/2004 3:05 PM
    quote:
    Who did Waits play in Dracula?
    I think the character was called Renfield
    Karlito
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/22/2004 3:07 PM
    Oh yeah - Mani in 24 Hour Party People - i thinkt here were loads in that but thats the only one I can think of off the top of my head
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    7/22/2004 3:38 PM
    Thanks Gar, I remember the Springsteen scene now, been ages since I saw that movie. Karlito - You got my curiosity going about 24 hour party people, so a quick search of IMDB reveals the following cameos: Mark E Smith (The Fall, should have been easy to spot, just look for the grumpiest person in the crowd), the real Tony Wilson (not a musician as such, but still) and Mike Pickering (M People) DJing in one of the Hacienda scenes. However (and I only know this thanks to IMDB) the biggest amount of cameos has to go to....The Rugrats Movie? What the hell? Its true! Busta Rhymes, Beck, Jakob (son of Bob) Dylan, Phife Dawg (tribe called quest), Beck, Gordon Gano (Violent Femmes), Iggy Pop, Lenny Kravitz, Lisa Loeb, Patti Smith, Dawn Robinson (En Vougue), Fred Schneider (the B-52s), Kate Pierson (B-52s) and Cindy Wilson (B-52s again).
    Karlito
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/22/2004 3:54 PM
    Binokular - thats a mad movie to all those in it!! Also check this - George Harrison in Monty Pythons Life Of Brian
    amawaster
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/22/2004 4:29 PM
    Aimee Mann is in The Big Lebowski playing one of the Nihilists girlfriend who gets her toe chopped off and of course Flea is in it, he's in loads of films also in My Own Private Idaho. Alice Cooper in Waynes World, Peter Frampton in Almost Famous playing a roadie, Neil Diamond in Evil Woman or Saving Silverman for the Americans, Johnathan Richman in both Kingpin and Something about Mary, Pearl Jam in Singles part of Citizen d**k and Soundgarden and all them lads as well, Nick Cave in Faraway, So Close, George Harrison in The Rutles, Blink 182 in American Pie, Puff Daddy and Tom Morello in Made, Atomic Kitten in Mike Bassett:England Manager!!, David Bowie in Zoolander, Meatloaf in Rocky Horror Picture Show, Fight Club and Waynes World and more..., David Byrne in his own movie True Stories, Alanis Morrisette as God in Dogma That's all I can think of at the moment
    Brain of G
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/22/2004 4:40 PM
    Speaking of musicians playing religious figures, hows about Sinead O' Connor playing Mary in the Butcher Boy; that is if you can call Sinead O' Connor a musician
    mutch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/22/2004 5:07 PM
    I understand blu cantrell had a film career also was it steve vai or joe satriani in crossroads (not the britney one, the eighties one about willie browne and a young guitar player) also, who can forget issac hayes in southpark the movie,
    fiddlechick

--
    7/23/2004 12:44 AM
    Willie Nelson - the Electric Horseman - I really enjoyed it, a young Robert Redford and the soundtrack "Mama don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys" And Willie in the fabulously funny "Wag the Dog" Nelson was also in a film recently shown on one of the Irish stations on a Saturday night - was getting into Willie singing away in a club and had just commented to flatmate that he was looking very good for his age - next scene was him in post-coital bliss with a younger woman - which would be fine if not for his really long and frizzy red hair down his chest. I turned off immediately and now can't remember the name of the film - doing my best not remember his hair.....saw him last time in Citywest and he was brill but must delete that scene forever if I want to see him live again.
    Gar
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    7/23/2004 1:27 AM
    There's the 'Last Waltz' but thats more of a concert really. But still what a line-up for a concert in one night!!!!
    El Duderino
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/23/2004 7:23 AM
    A bit of a tenuous link here I must admit but I'm gonna suggest Howard Marks in Human Traffic. Not strictly a musician but he did feature in a Shaun Ryder (or Black Grape, not sure which) version of the Donovan song barabajagal. Spliff politics baby
    Karlito
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/23/2004 10:50 AM
    I know this isn't a cameo but it's a damn good film - Labrynth - David Bowie - what a film - trousers a bit too tight though!!
    mutch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/23/2004 11:15 AM
    motley crue in the adventures of ford fairlane, vince neil fakes an drug related heart attack really well, method acting i presume,
    Earthhorse

--
    7/23/2004 3:57 PM
    Fair play to Beck for appearing in the Rugrats movie twice.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>