You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Rev Jules
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
7/12/2004 4:15 PM
    Well, I was sitting on the couch nursing a bad cold on Saturday morning (aww diddums) so I decided to turn on CD:UK and guess what, horror of horrors, I saw. Will Young performing 'Hey Ya' (OutKast) as if it was one of those ghastly little, piano led torch songs that those four bald ****s sing every week on the Jonathon Ross show. AARRRRGHHHH ! Ok, what are your worst cover versions ?
    John Doe
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/12/2004 4:40 PM
    Back in the dark days of the early '80s Paul Young had the audacity to do a cover of "Love WIll Tear Us Apart" on his debut album, which needless to say brought howls of outrage from all the Joy Division fans, though I myself thought it was a respectable enough version.
    John Doe
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/12/2004 4:42 PM
    Actually I've just remembered that Tom Dunne's been playing some mad record recently that has lounge versions of famous songs, including Love Will Tear Us Apart. Dunno who it is though.
    Brain of G
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/12/2004 4:46 PM
    Without doubt it has to be Will Young's version of "Light My Fire". He turned a seedy Doors classic into a plastic pop pile of sh1te
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    7/13/2004 8:43 AM
    Personally I generally don't have a problem with cover versions even if they are excruciatingly awful. The way I see it, the orignal is still around and it rarely lessens my enthusiasm for the original. What I don't like is cover versions where the singer does not try to bring anything fresh or original to their version or are obviously just exploitative, a way to make a quick bit of cash on the back of someone elses talent. Another thing that kind of annoys me is the cliched indie "ironic" cover version. Its often just a way for bands to appear big and clever. "Oooh look, we're a credible indie band covering a pop song". Am I the only one who is tired of this gimmick? The truth is, unless you can find a redeeming feature in the song that you are covering and there is something in the song that you like, a cover version won't sound great and isn't worth doing, even if your band is incredible. The reason Travis' version of Britney Spears "Hit me baby one more time" works so well is that its actually a well written pop song and sounds great when sung by someone with a bit of musical ability. Sonic Youths cover of "Superstar" by The Carpenters works really well because the band obviously love the source material. Despite not exactly being cool at the time, no-one can deny that The Carpenters wrote some great songs. Sympathetic cover versions such as Sonic Youths cover amongst others, were probably instrumental in restoring the Carpenters to the rightful crediblility that they now enjoy. John Doe, the album lounge covers of indie/punk/hard rock songs is called "prozak for lovers" and it is available for $10 on CDBaby: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/prozak Personally, from listening to the samples online, I think its awful. Its mildly entertaining for about two minutes, then it just becomes tedious. I think it's just another case of tiresome "ironic" posturing again and sounds cynical and jaded.
    space cheeks
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/13/2004 10:35 AM
    tatu - how soon is now (original - the smiths)WHY OH WHYYYY!!!!!
    QsySue
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/15/2004 4:43 PM
    Sheryl Crow covering Guns'n'Roses "Sweet Child of Mine." The horror. Guns'n'Roses covering "Live and Let Die."
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    7/15/2004 7:02 PM
    QsySue, you might be able to recover from the horror of Sheryl Crows evil cover of "Sweet Child of Mine" by listening to the version from Luna (Dean Warehams group after Galaxie 500 split). It's also a slow version, well more like languid in good Velvet Underground 3rd album kind of way. Its absolute ear candy.
    mutch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    7/16/2004 12:43 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Binokular
    Another thing that kind of annoys me is the cliched indie "ironic" cover version. Its often just a way for bands to appear big and clever. "Oooh look, we're a credible indie band covering a pop song". Am I the only one who is tired of this gimmick?
    no you are not alone my friend (jeez am i singin a celine dion song?!), for the record i heard that one more time was written by the bass player from the scorpians! i hope thats true cos its brilliant and reminds me why i should never get too upset about anything in music!haha, imagine a middel aged german singing that at the piano!!! covers are great fun most of the time, i like alot of metal and those bands constantly play covers of classics and some truly wierd songs, ministry doing lay lady lay is to me, excellent, but my mates react in horror at the thoughts of it! my worst though, snoop dogg at Metallica's mtv icon show "doin" sad but true, and avril lavigne (normally OK) doin fuel, both awful, awful feats of greed (i.e. probably "cool" by association according to their marketing people or something, Bill Hicks was right...wheres my gun!....hahah) now im off to do an acoustic cover of gin and juice in the (adopt tipperary accent, we're lioke talking pat short roysh) BIG HOTEL near bruxelles.
    fiddlechick

--
    7/20/2004 11:53 PM
    Mary Black and Joan Baez doing a live version of Dylan's "Ring them Bells". It's on the bonus CD of Black's best of. Totally regretted buying the album when I heard my favorite Dylan song from my favorite Dylan album (Oh Mercy) being mauled so shamelessly.
    cheesy

--
    7/21/2004 10:01 AM
    In fairness a lot of the gibing out should go to the original artist NO matter how s**t Will Young's Light my Fire is, what does it say to the remaining members of the Doors who decide to let him to do that and cash in on the royaltys??? I think it takes respect away from the original song if people decide to let covers be done of it. Artists dont deserve the respect they earn for writing a song if they are allowed to sell it off willy nilly (sorry i love that word)
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    7/21/2004 10:12 AM
    Cheesy, I disagree. For a start, it's not as clear cut as you make out. Artists don't always have complete control over their publishing rights and back catalogue. Secondly I believe that being overprotective of intellectual property doesn't do anyone any favours and stifles creativity. I think its great when a songwriter allows people to mess around with their songs. Sometimes the results will be great, sometimes not, thats the nature of the creative process, it can be a bit hit and miss. Should we deny people the opportunity to make mistakes? Its similar to the issue of sampling, too much creativity has been stifled by artists being over-protective of their work.
    cheesy

--
    7/21/2004 10:36 AM
    you make a good point, but i still feel a song is written for a reason, for a purpose, to say something to someone,to convey what you are meaning etc and it is not so much "stifles creativity" , i feel it is more to keep the purpose of the song real. If someone else sings it then the meaining, i feel is gone. But i most say that a song is only as good as the way it is sang, so i being quite hypocritical on the point
    klootfan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    7/21/2004 10:44 AM
    Six covering Neil Young, "After the Goldrush" at the Meteor awards a couple of years back. I had cramps from cringing at it so much...embarrasing stuff
    fiddlechick

--
    7/22/2004 1:39 AM
    Six doing "After the Goldrush"???? I'm nearly cringing cramping just hearing about it. Thankfully I always miss those TV award shows. That's another reason to keep that up. Louis Walsh has so much to answer for.
    stephaniesays

--
    10/29/2005 11:41 PM
    I just had to add my twopennorth...M People's "interpretation" of Itchycoo Park is surely one of the worst sounds ears can hear. Although Boney M's go at Heart Of Gold is surprisingly alright.
    Damien
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/30/2005 12:35 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by space cheeks
    tatu - how soon is now (original - the smiths)WHY OH WHYYYY!!!!!
    Just downloaded it, it's not too bad! It's funny hearing sugary teen poppy voice singing that chorus and the bit where they say "and you cry and you want to die" is hilarious. Can't think of any bad covers, the good cover that springs to mind is Daytripper by Ocean Colour Scene.
    Norman Schwarzkopf
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11/1/2005 10:05 AM
    As annoying as Will Young's Doors cover was, I think it was more of a cover of Jose Felicianos cover of Light My Fire which was a bossa nova thing or summat. Which is still no defence.
    clamps

--
    11/1/2005 5:45 PM
    colm farrell doin the clash version of i fought the law.....or should it be lawr! the rolling stones playing any of their good stuff now a days (they're there own worst cover band...if that makes sense!)
    Mully
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11/2/2005 8:47 AM
    Only got to hear AudioBullys & Nancy Sinatra yesterday ... Lamplighting Jaysus, its been a while since I turned a song off. As much as I like him, Damo Dempseys "I beleive in a thing called love" is a shining examaple of when to make a song your own, & not try to do a straight cover. Falsetto Damo, is wrong wrong wrong. Cue replys of Anything Damo is wrong wrong wrong !!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>