Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Binokular
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
11/25/2003 4:33 PM
    This thread was inspired by Q2s' Album/Gig of the year thread. Albums are great, but people tend to be a little more adventurous with the singles they buy. What single released this year was the most outstanding for you and why? Try to pick just one! for me, it would have to be: Radioactive Man featuring Valerie Trebeljahr - Fedex to Munchen. I already loved Valerie Trebeljahrs work with Lali Puna, her voice is reminiscent of Nico from Nico and the Velvet Underground, but hearing it backed by Radioactive Mans huge analogue synth sound is just incredible.
    Dromed
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11/26/2003 10:50 AM
    Interpol - NYC......a swirling headrush of distorted guitars and a beautifully dark vocal...and some great lyrics to boot! Runners Up would be: BRMC - Stop Kings of Leon - Red Morning Light Chemical Brothers (& Wayne Coyne) - The Golden Path Outkast - Hey Ya Machine Gun Fellatio - Mutha Fukka On A Motorcycle Relaxed Muscle - Billy Jack / Sexualised Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps The Coral - Don't Think You're The First Kraftwerk - Tour de France 03 Autamata - Jive County
    Dromed
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11/26/2003 10:53 AM
    Dohhh...think NYC was released in 2002...ahh well, still a cracker and still the first song I thought of!
    Q2
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11/26/2003 11:23 AM
    Favourite single of the year? 7 Nation Army by the White Stripes I know it's been over-used in a million ads and TV programs but that doesn't stop it from being a great song.Another favourite? Hmmmm, Longwave - Wake Me When It's Over A simplistic (and depressing) type song, but I love the echoed vocal and the guitar solos are pure sear. Very addictive song. Actually, I bought this single by accident as I meant to buy a single by Longview, not Longwave. So I ended up with one of the singles of the year. Ha! Q2 PS Nice to know I'm inspirational!
    klootfan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11/26/2003 11:55 AM
    So im not the only one getting caught out by Interpol release dates. I suppose it because the album has been on my playlist so much this year... anyway, to the point at hand. fav single of the year.. I Am Kloot - Life In A Day The intro is deadly and johns voice is just class.. would you have expected any different from someone with klootfan as a user name?
    Ruby
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11/26/2003 12:01 PM
    The first time I saw I am kloot, they were in the red box supporting Ian Brown. None of us knew who they were, but my mate was convinced they announced themselves as Iron Flute!!!! hahaha!!!
    ghost rider

--
    11/26/2003 12:42 PM
    awww theres loads, let me see id say republic of loose -girl im gonna f**k you up brmc-stop Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps cause there the ones i can still listen to over and over again!!!
    klootfan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11/26/2003 1:00 PM
    Iron Flute...sounds like a tribute band. Firstime i saw IAK was in the red box as well, At a guinness promotion night with bell-x1 and another band who i cant think of. I love that Republic of loose single..a band with alot of potential
    Vent My Spleen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11/26/2003 1:04 PM
    I'll second Outkast's "Hey Ya!" - one of the finest singles I've heard in years. It is like the very best of Prince, Marvin Gaye and Curtis Matfield distilled into 3 minutes. That man is a genius.
    Dromed
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11/26/2003 1:37 PM
    I saw I Am Kloot supporting Ian 'I Love Michael Jackson' Brown in the Redbox too...but there seemed to be a load of commotion between the band and the crowd if I remember correctly...a few people in the crowd were slaggin them off and the singer told them to f**k off...pity cos down the back we kind of only took that in and missed hearing what the band were actually playin.
    John Doe
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11/26/2003 1:44 PM
    "Don't Go Out" - Ten Speed Racer. Why ? Because it's jangly guitar pop at it's finest.
    flagman
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11/26/2003 2:46 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by klootfan
    Iron Flute...sounds like a tribute band. Firstime i saw IAK was in the red box as well, At a guinness promotion night with bell-x1 and another band who i cant think of. I love that Republic of loose single..a band with alot of potential
    I seem to remember the other band that night were January, I don't know if they're still going.
    mick
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11/27/2003 1:16 PM
    defo the yeah yeah yeahs - maps feckin great song dont forget our single is coming out tmrw cough cough
    Karlito
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11/28/2003 3:25 PM
    I think maybe Fake by The Frames - it's a bit obvious but it's a great feckin tune Also Got the Manitoba EP (Hendrix with Ko), what a wicked tune indeed
    Brain of G
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12/1/2003 7:49 PM
    I'm not really a frames fan at all but I would agree that fake is one hell of a catchy song. To be honest I can't think of too many good singles form the year. Is "Bad Day" off the best of REM album a single. If so, it deserves mention. It may sound like its the end of the world but it's nearly better
    You are not authorized to post a reply.