Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
aidan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
9/9/2008 3:05 PM
    Well, what about that then? So much for Burial's slashed odds!
    admin
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    9/10/2008 1:35 AM
    Great result. One of my fave albums of the year. And what's more my twenty one month old daughter approves (she loves the faux trumpet blasts on the opening track).
    PeterQuaife
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    9/10/2008 3:58 AM
    top band, top album...nice one

PQ
    floodzer
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    9/10/2008 5:44 AM
    Garvey said the group will donate their £20,000 prize money to charity. He added: "I know we're supposed to be cool but this is quite literally the best thing that has ever happened to us... We love what we do but nearly everyone we've ever met works harder than we ever have... I suppose you could look at it in the same way that certain Bedouin tribes look at a bowl of milk. It's something that doesn't occur very often, and it's so much sweeter for it." Fair enough, and fair f**kin play to them donating the money!

whiterob81
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    9/10/2008 8:00 AM
    Posted By admin on 10 Sep 2008 1:35 AM
    Great result. One of my fave albums of the year. And what's more my twenty one month old daughter approves (she loves the faux trumpet blasts on the opening track).

yeah, my 18 month old nephew loved their glasto performance. it had him shaking his arse like a good thing in front of the tv. i can think of no higher endorsement.

i really like what i've heard of that burial album. Archangel's an amazin tune but i still haven't managed to make it all the way through the end of it
    benni
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    9/10/2008 8:20 AM
    So I take it im on my own in thinking they are boring as f**k? Only marginally more interesting than The Doves.
    aidan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    9/10/2008 2:09 PM
    Posted By benni on 10 Sep 2008 8:20 AM
    So I take it im on my own in thinking they are boring as f**k? Only marginally more interesting than The Doves.

No, I agree with you there (hence my surprise at their victory)- and good call on the Doves comparison; dull as dishwater.
    Quint
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    9/10/2008 2:18 PM
    Doves are a brilliant band and are fantastic live. Right about Elbow though, they're boring.
    carry_grant

--
    9/10/2008 3:20 PM
    Good on 'em - some cracking tunes on the album. Bloody good live too. That said, I'd have said 'In Rainbows' was a superior album.
    floodzer
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    9/11/2008 5:27 AM
    In the past I would have said I found Elbow a bit boring, but this was a great album.
    I've always loved Doves full stop and they are great live.
    I also would consider In Rainbows a better album than Seldon Seen Kid, but Mercury would never give it to them because theyre too well known already, which is bollox. I'm still happy for Elbow though.
    Idiot Kid
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    9/12/2008 7:55 AM
    I though that while In Rainbows had better songs...Seldom Seen Kid was the better album, the songs sat together more comfortably.

At least burial didn't win....awful bolloxs after repeated listens.
    starbelgrade
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    9/12/2008 6:31 PM
    "Seldom Seen Kid" is a great album. "Leaders of the Free World" was class too. Though if if it comes down to best LP, "In Rainbows" does pip it at the post by a yard, just for it's sheer coolness & total controlled underplay. It sees Radiohead at last, sitting comfortably into a sound where they sound relaxed & easy... I reckon "The Erasure" (I'm so in love with you!) had some bearing on that, as did a healthy dose of serious listening to Sonic Youth's "Murray Street".. Steve Shelley, how are ya!!??! Both albums are cool though & Radiohead hardly need the cash. Nice acceptance speech too - they may look like a bunch of brickies, but they can't half knock out a decent tune!
    starbelgrade
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    9/12/2008 7:43 PM
    Apologies for 2 posts in a row, but I haven't been around lately & I've only just checked out the other nominees.

Adele - as I said before, she looks like Alison Moyet on the Slimfast diet, but she sounds atrocious & seriously needs some lessons in pronunciation. I mean, she may be Scottish, but when she sings, even Aidan Moffat is more easily understood. (And is Slimfast just an anagram of Slimfats?)

British Sea Power may claim to be the predecessors of Arcade Fire, but I really couldn't care less if the chicken came before the egg in this case, because, quite frankly, both of them bore me to tears. You are NOT Quakers. This IS the 21st Century.. get over it & lay down your fiddles for Christ's sake, before Hansard gets it into his ginger skull that it' s time to re-form The Frames (only this time, dressed in tweed).

Estelle, I have to say I like.. her debut single "1980" really grabbed me at the time, as did "American Boy", but it IS pure pop & that sweet tasty sugar buzz soon turns sickly not long after the sweet is swallowed.

The Robert Plant album seemed OK, if not a little predictable from what I heard of it on Jools Holland, but they were blown aside by a sterling performance by Jason Pearse & Spiritualized, who were sadly lacking in the nomination department... seems that someone actually HAS to die to get you a Mercury these days.. no point in just being a" living-dead rock star" (which could probably apply to either Pearse OR Plant equally).

Despite having never heard of Laura Marling, she googled up pretty fast, but as soon as I saw her name, I KNEW, i just f**king KNEW that, she'd be one of these acoustic weilding hippy chicks. The only solace I had to gain from discovering that I was in fact 100% correct, was that it was not as bad as I had expected. I even started to enjoy listening to the fiddle on "Night Terror", until it reminded me of a Frames gig which I really didn't want to go to, but was dragged into & wished that I had in fact died instead of induring any more of that ficking fiddle, that poxy looking ginger and his adoring crowd of minions that called themselves "fans", while we always knew them as "sect members". ...NEXT!

Neon Neon.. what a f**king CLASS lead single.. I truly LOVE " I Lust U", bu the rest of the album is a bag of s**te. Jones is waste of talent. Great voice, great personality & a 90% off the radar taste in music roles. He's the Robert Downey Jr. of music.... a lovable, charming rogue, but mostly useless.

Portico Quarter, I'm listening to right now for the 1st time.. soon as I saw their myspace description, I thought I was onto another Polar Bear, but sadly not. It sounds like a jazzed up version of Damon Albarn's "Mali Music" blended with a leftover jam session tape from Sting's "Dream of the Blur Turtles".

Rachel Untank.. never heard of her - Google barely recognised her - the 1st song on her Myspace is a dead ringer for the Sinead O'Connor lead "Thief of Yr Heart" (was that a Friday / Seezer / Bonox collab?) - not as emotive as the original, but not too bad, apart from the mid 19t Century fakery on the vocals. Track 2 killed me, so I killed it back.

The Last of the International Puppets (or wateva) .. I like Turner - he reminds me of a young Morrissey.. not sure that this LP is his greatest achievement ever - it's 4-6 tracks short of greatness, but I'm sure he'll still be knocking out great tunes for at least another 10 years, by which time, SURELY Mozzer will have run out of them?!?!? Though ya never know with our Steven!

Anyhow... Seems I spent a lot of time this evening going thru / listening to / discovering that the Mercurys came down to either Elbow - who probably won it over a better album by Radiohead, by sheer vertue of the fact that "Leaders.." was pathetichically overlooked. So, I learnt absolutely nothing new! So much for delving into places where you know you're not wanted & don't want to go, but still felt like you should go. I almost felt like a tourist in Havanna, wishing I was in Paris.

PeterQuaife
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    9/15/2008 2:47 AM
    Posted By starbelgrade on 12 Sep 2008 7:43 PM
    Apologies for 2 posts in a row, but I haven't been around lately & I've only just checked out the other nominees.

Adele - as I said before, she looks like Alison Moyet on the Slimfast diet, but she sounds atrocious & seriously needs some lessons in pronunciation. I mean, she may be Scottish, but when she sings, even Aidan Moffat is more easily understood. (And is Slimfast just an anagram of Slimfats?)

British Sea Power may claim to be the predecessors of Arcade Fire, but I really couldn't care less if the chicken came before the egg in this case, because, quite frankly, both of them bore me to tears. You are NOT Quakers. This IS the 21st Century.. get over it & lay down your fiddles for Christ's sake, before Hansard gets it into his ginger skull that it' s time to re-form The Frames (only this time, dressed in tweed).

Estelle, I have to say I like.. her debut single "1980" really grabbed me at the time, as did "American Boy", but it IS pure pop & that sweet tasty sugar buzz soon turns sickly not long after the sweet is swallowed.

The Robert Plant album seemed OK, if not a little predictable from what I heard of it on Jools Holland, but they were blown aside by a sterling performance by Jason Pearse & Spiritualized, who were sadly lacking in the nomination department... seems that someone actually HAS to die to get you a Mercury these days.. no point in just being a" living-dead rock star" (which could probably apply to either Pearse OR Plant equally).

Despite having never heard of Laura Marling, she googled up pretty fast, but as soon as I saw her name, I KNEW, i just f**king KNEW that, she'd be one of these acoustic weilding hippy chicks. The only solace I had to gain from discovering that I was in fact 100% correct, was that it was not as bad as I had expected. I even started to enjoy listening to the fiddle on "Night Terror", until it reminded me of a Frames gig which I really didn't want to go to, but was dragged into & wished that I had in fact died instead of induring any more of that ficking fiddle, that poxy looking ginger and his adoring crowd of minions that called themselves "fans", while we always knew them as "sect members". ...NEXT!

Neon Neon.. what a f**king CLASS lead single.. I truly LOVE " I Lust U", bu the rest of the album is a bag of s**te. Jones is waste of talent. Great voice, great personality & a 90% off the radar taste in music roles. He's the Robert Downey Jr. of music.... a lovable, charming rogue, but mostly useless.

Portico Quarter, I'm listening to right now for the 1st time.. soon as I saw their myspace description, I thought I was onto another Polar Bear, but sadly not. It sounds like a jazzed up version of Damon Albarn's "Mali Music" blended with a leftover jam session tape from Sting's "Dream of the Blur Turtles".

Rachel Untank.. never heard of her - Google barely recognised her - the 1st song on her Myspace is a dead ringer for the Sinead O'Connor lead "Thief of Yr Heart" (was that a Friday / Seezer / Bonox collab?) - not as emotive as the original, but not too bad, apart from the mid 19t Century fakery on the vocals. Track 2 killed me, so I killed it back.

The Last of the International Puppets (or wateva) .. I like Turner - he reminds me of a young Morrissey.. not sure that this LP is his greatest achievement ever - it's 4-6 tracks short of greatness, but I'm sure he'll still be knocking out great tunes for at least another 10 years, by which time, SURELY Mozzer will have run out of them?!?!? Though ya never know with our Steven!

Anyhow... Seems I spent a lot of time this evening going thru / listening to / discovering that the Mercurys came down to either Elbow - who probably won it over a better album by Radiohead, by sheer vertue of the fact that "Leaders.." was pathetichically overlooked. So, I learnt absolutely nothing new! So much for delving into places where you know you're not wanted & don't want to go, but still felt like you should go. I almost felt like a tourist in Havanna, wishing I was in Paris.

good to have you back sir
    starbelgrade
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    9/20/2008 12:52 PM
    Nice to BE back!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.