You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
aidan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
8/18/2008 3:01 PM
    It was a pub conversation, of course. We were wondering if there were pop songs in Irish - hit singles or even just any old pop/rock songs as gaeilge. ("An Poc Ar Buile" is trad so it doesn't count, "Aon Focail Eile" is in English except its title/chorus, and "An Cat Dubh" by U2 is all in English).

So, anyone know any?

I remembered a Eurosong entry from when I was young. (One song had to be in Irish each year.) The chorus has been stuck in my head ever since. The song is called 'Sin Sin' but disappointingly it's pronounced "shin shin" (= "that's that"). And to think that "My Lovely Horse" beat THIS:

Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    8/19/2008 2:59 AM
    Only thing I can think of is some tune from Nine Wassies from Bainne half in English, half in Irish half in in english. Anyone remember them?
    John Doe
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/20/2008 2:53 AM
    What about Des Bishop's Irish version of Jump Around ? I think it's pretty cool myself though I'm no Gaelgeoir......
    aidan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/20/2008 3:07 AM
    Posted By John Doe on 20 Aug 2008 2:53 AM
    What about Des Bishop's Irish version of Jump Around ? I think it's pretty cool myself though I'm no Gaelgeoir......

Good call - but surely there are real pop and rock songs written in Irish out there? With a video if possible...

Anyway, here's that Des Bishop version of 'Jump Around' as gaeilge. The lyrics are here, if you're interested.

mixtapepublicity
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/21/2008 6:01 AM
    There's a show on TG4 I'm sure has pop bands who sing in Irish. Defintely saw the video for one group, but don't know their name. I'm sorry to say, they were SHITE, in any language.
    PeterQuaife
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    8/21/2008 6:18 AM
    a reworking for an album of songs song in the native tongue...think there has been a couple of these albums released, not a notion what they are called though

PQ

aidan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    8/21/2008 3:22 PM
    Maith an fear, a Pheadar! Does anyone have any details of this album?

Also, any singer-songers or bands out there writing original rock or pop songs in Irish?
    Helmet

--
    8/22/2008 8:19 AM
    There's the "Ceol" albums Ceol 07 and 08, they were a charity job for Barnardos.....Ceol 08 can still be picked up handy enough about the place.
    They include the likes of Bell XI, Delorentos, Mundy, The Guggenheim Grotto, Director doing versions of their songs as Gaeilge.
    Pretty good for the most part

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=119105484
    wherenow

--
    9/28/2008 4:04 AM
    How do i post a video?

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=9Oee29f36XI
    aidan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    9/28/2008 1:50 PM
    Posted By wherenow on 28 Sep 2008 4:04 AM
    How do i post a video?

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=9Oee29f36XI

Copy all of the 'Embed' code and paste it into your post. Give it a go!
    aidan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    9/28/2008 1:55 PM
    BTW I'd still like to hear rock/pop songs that were originally written in Irish and not just translations... there MUST be some out there!
    mixtapepublicity
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    9/30/2008 3:19 AM
    I was eh.... well... watching The Coronas play live last week (at a retirement party!), and they played some slow song in Irish. Their own I think. It was cheesy as.
    wherenow

--
    9/30/2008 10:56 AM
    wherenow

--
    9/30/2008 11:02 AM
    mixtapepublicity
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/2/2008 2:22 AM
    Ooh thats the band I was talking about in an earlier post, The Dirty Hines.
    wherenow

--
    10/3/2008 4:32 PM
    mixtapepublicity This is the one I think. It's a gr8 song though. The Coronas - Tabhaise na laoch

mixtapepublicity
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/6/2008 3:37 AM
    wherenow - is that a great song?! Different horses for different courses.
    Fuzzball

--
    10/15/2008 9:25 AM
    Hey Aidan I'm new to this site but there is one pop sond in Irish it went well in the charts too. Its called mo Dhreoilin which translates as my wren as in bird. Can't think of who sung it but google it and I'm sure you'll find it, there was some rap song as well realesed bout ten yeras ago can't remember off hand what it was again but I'm sure it had something to do with school. It was a connemara guy who currently acts on Ros na Run if memory serves me correctly
    aidan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10/17/2008 11:17 AM
    Posted By Fuzzball on 15 Oct 2008 9:25 AM
    Hey Aidan I'm new to this site but there is one pop sond in Irish it went well in the charts too. Its called mo Dhreoilin which translates as my wren as in bird. Can't think of who sung it but google it and I'm sure you'll find it, there was some rap song as well realesed bout ten yeras ago can't remember off hand what it was again but I'm sure it had something to do with school. It was a connemara guy who currently acts on Ros na Run if memory serves me correctly

Fuzzball, thanks for the suggestion. I found Mo Dhreolin (video below) but I'd class that as a trad song with beats pasted on.

All the suggestions so far have been very interesting; thanks to everyone for their ideas. Surely there must be a lot of other original songs in a pop/rock/indie/reggae/whatever style that were written with original Irish lyrics (not just English lyrics translated). Is there some young Gaelscoiler or Connemara band that sounds like Vampire Weekend or Lykke Li or Dead Kennedys or [other non-trad act]?

(I'm sure we could arrange a CLUAS feature starring an Irish-speaking/singing indie act...)

Anyway, 'Mo Dhreolin':
    Fuzzball

--
    10/20/2008 7:51 AM
    Check out a reggae called breag based in belfast. Not too gone on them but they would be big enough within the irish community
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>