You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Ally
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
5/12/2008 1:47 AM
    A year, say?...

For the last few years, I've probably averaged nearly one-a-week but I'm going to slow down I think... I'll do the odd "something different" gig because these are the most fun... but as for regular venue / regular acts, I'm just too busy...

The important thing I've realised is that it's not a big deal if I miss someone I want to see... they'll likely be around again soon anyhow...
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    5/12/2008 2:02 AM
    If you'd asked me two years ago, I would have said "as often as possible", but then a lot of stuff happened including moving to a small town for a year and I stopped going to gigs, partly because there wasn't much going on locally, even when I moved to Dublin, other things preoccupied me. Now I'm kinda settled in, I've finally gone out and seen some live music (the Breeders gig a few weeks ago) and am going to see Ladytron on Friday. I was really worried that since I'd stopped going to gigs for so long that I wouldn't enjoy it, that I'd just feel I was getting too old for this sort of thing, but the Breeders gig was class and I had a great time. I'd forgotten how much I loved a good gig. Still not a regular gig goer, but give me time to get into the swing of things. my resolution is to see more live music this year.

By the way, is there any venue with regular live music worth checking out on the North side of the city for live music, even if it's just the local bands starting out or whatever? I'm in D15.
    Idiot Kid
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/12/2008 6:08 AM
    As a 26 year old living in Dublin 2 out of every 3 people I know are in a band so there is no shortage of gigs for me to attend. That said I used to go to much more in college. During college I reckon I averaged about 75 to 100 gigs a year, just had the time and didn't particulary care for the coursework in college.

Buying a house, getting married has put a dent in that a little bit but I'd say I average between 30 and 50 now, which I think is still respectable enough and helped by a better half with an equal appreciation for all things musical.
    Unicron
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    5/12/2008 6:15 AM
    I'd say I easily go to 80 or so gigs a year. From last Wednesday to Wednesday week my only nights off from seeing bands are last Friday and tonight, and then after that I'll wrap the week up with Springsteen and probably Jens Lekman. But May is f**king loco for gigs yo.

June is shaping up to be just as bad.
    mixtapepublicity
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/12/2008 6:45 AM
    Lucky enough to go to plenty of them as a perk of my job, so I guess maybe 80 per year?

There's a gig a night on at the mo, the plan was I would be attending - BRMC on Sat, Iron & Wine on Sun, Dinosaur Jnr (or Angus & Julia Stone) tonight, The Hold Steady tomorrow, The National on Wed, Battles on Thur, Silver Jews on Fri... Don't ever want to get jaded of live music, so have to hold the horsies on a couple of them.
    UnaRocks
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/13/2008 6:51 AM
    probably over 100 a year, around two a week. I used to go to at least three a week when I was younger *creaks hip*
    headu phole

--
    5/17/2008 5:00 PM
    1 or two a week, more if you count trad sessions, which you should'nt really. First Feile at age 11, 1991. Wish I'd kept the t-shirt and ticket stub. Good roach material. Have a shoebox of tickets since about 2002 ish, no idea how to use them to commemerate all those great nights...suggestions welcome.
    PeterQuaife
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/18/2008 3:41 AM
    Posted By headu phole on 17 May 2008 5:00 PM
    1 or two a week, more if you count trad sessions, which you should'nt really. First Feile at age 11, 1991. Wish I'd kept the t-shirt and ticket stub. Good roach material. Have a shoebox of tickets since about 2002 ish, no idea how to use them to commemerate all those great nights...suggestions welcome.

cover the fridge with them, or if your fridge aint big enough, go to electrical store and get a big yank style fridge, or as I learned last week, they are called food centres, ding dang do

PQ
    PARTON
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/19/2008 3:54 AM
    Have a shoebox of tickets since about 2002

i do the very same thing, i dunno maybe frame all the best ones or somethin?
    i have some classics in there, james brown at vicar street, Radiohead from 1997 at the RDS...

I used to go to maybe 3/4 gigs a week, now i'd say 1 a month or so...just aint got the time....
    nothing better then seeing live music though....even better when its done well...

starbelgrade
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    5/19/2008 4:50 AM
    Bout once a month - there's not too many gigs in Sligo. I do about 3 festivals a year though, so that makes up the quota!

Saw The Flaws play on Friday - apt name.. they were piss poor.
    Earthhorse

--
    5/20/2008 7:28 AM
    Not too many. Certainly not by the standards of the Cluas forumites. Had aimed to get to a concert a month this year but I couldn't find anything in February and missed out on tickets to Eels in March.

Posted By headu phole on 17 May 2008 5:00 PM
    Have a shoebox of tickets since about 2002 ish, no idea how to use them to commemerate all those great nights...suggestions welcome.

Posted By PARTON
    i do the very same thing, i dunno maybe frame all the best ones or somethin?

I keep all my tickets and last year started scanning them in to my Flickr account; just a nice little way of keeping track of them all in one place. Doesn't work perfectly if you're on the guestlist or at a free gig but it's a handy way of collecting your tickets and recording your thoughts and memories of an event.
    Unicron
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    5/26/2008 7:58 AM

I reckon that since the 7th of this month I've seen at least 30 different acts in 9 venues and 2 countries.
    comet
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    6/3/2008 4:47 AM
    Not as often as I used to, starting to become disillusioned with a lot of new music .... i know a sign of getting old! I'm no longer excited by trying to get to see the next big thing and not really interested in seeing yesterdays men at premium prices.
    starbelgrade
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    6/3/2008 7:22 AM
    I've been at 758 gigs since last Tuesday.
    PeterQuaife
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    6/3/2008 8:58 AM
    sugary squirt, I have been to 756 since last Tuesday, dont count Celine on Friday night
    starbelgrade
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    6/3/2008 9:23 AM
    I counted Ms.Dion as two gigs, it was that good. Looks like we're even steven.
    Quint
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    6/4/2008 9:43 AM
    Posted By comet on 03 Jun 2008 4:47 AM
    Not as often as I used to, starting to become disillusioned with a lot of new music .... i know a sign of getting old! I'm no longer excited by trying to get to see the next big thing and not really interested in seeing yesterdays men at premium prices.

Absolutely spot on. And almost word for word with I ws going to say.

I go to about one or two a month and even that seems like a lot! The last new band I went to see were This Will Destroy You, they were incredible but the vast majority of new bands do nothing for me.That's a sign of getting old as you have seen and heard everything already and none of these new bands seem to have any new ideas, they all sound hugely derivative and extremely boring. You could go see a band every night but I just couldn't be bothered anymore. I'm disillusioned with new bands, but moreso the bizarre phenomenon of people talking all the way through gigs has put me off going to gigs in a big way. Plus the exorbitant ticket prices. I'm a big Neil Young fan but I still haven't bought a ticket for the malahide gig, which works out at almost 90 euro all told.

I'm very selective in who I want to see, just to keep the gigging experience fresh and to retain that thrill somehow of seeing your favourite band live and in the flesh. This year I've seen M83, Ulrich Schnauss, Explosions In The Sky, God Is an Astronaut, American Music Club, This Will Destroy You, The National, Rachel Unthank and the Winterset..next week I'll go to The Notwist and after that My Bloody Valentine in London, Kathleen Edwards in June, maybe Neil Young, Efterklang/Tortoise in July, maybe EP (if a get free ticket or a loan approved to buy a ticket!), Mogwai in London in October and maybe a few others and ,er, that's it and that's fine by me. No more, no less.
    MarkO

--
    6/5/2008 12:58 PM
    Hard to say. Sometimes it's two a week, sometimes two a month. Been to two fests and 6 or 7 gigs this year; Nick Cave, From The Jam, Ghostland Observatory, Editors, The Raconteurs, RyG.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.