You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 3123 > >>
Author Messages
Quint
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
4/12/2008 5:50 AM
    At This Will Destroy You at Whelans last night. Fantastic gig but marred by idiots talking loudly throughout the set.
    Why are they there? Why do they ruin it for everyone else? Namely, fans of the band who have taken time out to go see the band and enjoy the gig in the hope it's not ruined by f**king gibbering idiots behind them or in front of them. Why have they paid for a ticket if they have absolutely no interest in the band or their music whatsoever? This seems to happen at every gig. If they do have an interest, why can't they just shut the f**k up for 90 minutes and then they can catch up with all their news and gossip at the bar or in the pub afterwards? At one point last night, some stupid c**t was standing with his back to the band in front of stage while he chatted to two equally loud girls. Why? He's obviously not a fan and has no respect for the band so what is he doing there? Then, if you politely ask them to be quiet they seem to take great offence at this. Wankers. Rant over.
    Protein biscuit
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    4/12/2008 6:50 AM
    Yes, w**kers indeed Quint. It happens almost all the time and The Village is notorious in this respect. It makes me so mad and with a little less tolerance of my fellow man. Had a particularly bad experience at Iron and Wine once upon a time in Whelans. Blood was boiling and i could feel the rage and violence rising up inside me. Sigh, just a fact of life. I sometimes think the onus is on the staff to say "Shut the f**k up" when necessary.
    dermot_trellis

--
    4/12/2008 9:29 AM
    I can't stand this either.. Why pay 15-20 euro to talk the whole way during a gig instead of going to a pub, where you get in for free, don't have to shout right into somebody's ear to be heard and don't have to queue for ages for drinks\toilets (in most places, anyway). I'm guessing it's mostly just gimps who don't give a toss about the bands and either got in without paying, were dragged along by their mates, or who want to be seen at the event so they can look cool among certain circles..
    aidan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    4/13/2008 12:58 PM
    The fact is, not everyone who goes to a gig is a dedicated fan of the act onstage. But not always because they're poseurs or dragged along - haven't we all gone to see bands just to check them out, to see if they're any good?

I always thought that the hardcore fans were up the front anyway, the casual listener hanging back behind the halfway line. Maybe there should be a rule or etiquette: if you're bored by the band, move to the bar or the back of the hall. Do you reckon a venue would put up a poster to that effect?

And are we going to differentiate between gig-related chatting or non-gig-chatting? For example, is Beatlemania screaming or discreet singing-along or 'I-love-you-Glen/pull-down-your-pants-Damo' okay, but football or relationship or current affairs chats are out?

Personally, I'm annoyed by 'shushers' and the 'concert = religious experience' scenario, where some fans (and some artists) are a bit too precious and joyless.
    Unicron
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    4/13/2008 2:23 PM
    Posted By aidan on 13 Apr 2008 12:58 PM
    The fact is, not everyone who goes to a gig is a dedicated fan of the act onstage. But not always because they're poseurs or dragged along - haven't we all gone to see bands just to check them out, to see if they're any good?

Yeah but if they're not I've got the good manners to shut the f**k up while they're on anyway.
    starbelgrade
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    4/14/2008 4:42 AM
    The best cure for people talking at gigs is to whack the volume up.
    PARTON
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    4/14/2008 4:51 AM
    depends really on the music played..if its a band, plugged in band, then sure you cant hear them anyway...

but accoustic or solo performance, yeah its pretty rude and ignorant..see this kind of thing happens at smaller venues alot because alot of people go for a) a gander or b) the club/dj on after.....

saying that i was at REM last eyar in the olympia, and three characters taken straight from Philidelphia here i come were shouting unfunny comments at Michael Stipe in between songs.
    starbelgrade
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    4/14/2008 4:55 AM
    Posted By PARTON on 14 Apr 2008 4:51 AM
    depends really on the music played..if its a band, plugged in band, then sure you cant hear them anyway...

but accoustic or solo performance, yeah its pretty rude and ignorant..see this kind of thing happens at smaller venues alot because alot of people go for a) a gander or b) the club/dj on after.....

saying that i was at REM last eyar in the olympia, and three characters taken straight from Philidelphia here i come were shouting unfunny comments at Michael Stipe in between songs.

I hate acoustic gigs & performers. That said, I wouldn't talk over them, I'd just leave! I saw J.Mascis do a solo show a few years ago... he came out with an acoustic, but the Marshall stack behind him suggested it would be more than an acoustic show.. he ran the guitar thru a rake of pedals & blew the f**k outta the place!
    Trix

--
    4/14/2008 6:28 AM
    Posted By Quint on 12 Apr 2008 5:50 AM
    At This Will Destroy You at Whelans last night. Fantastic gig but marred by idiots talking loudly throughout the set.

Great gig, I only went to see TwinKranes (didn't even know This Will Destroy You). Really impressed with TWDY and looking forward to more of them.
    The sound was really loud but that doesn't make any difference if there is annoying people beside you talking through out the whole gig. Show a little respect for the band and the people who paid money to enjoy listening to them!!
    IcaruS

--
    4/18/2008 8:59 AM
    Sounds like the loud guy at the front was trying to get laid. A lot of jerks' manners will go out the window with that goal in mind. It honestly sounds to me likie these people are of cracked.com's notorious douchebag mental conditions.
    istillwantyoulucy

--
    4/20/2008 6:10 AM
    I was really irritated by this at the Spook of the 13th Lock launch night on Friday, they are a rather quiet band and all I could hear were the knobs beside me chatting away about their current problems in the office. It must be disheartening for the band too, I'd imagine.
    mick
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    4/20/2008 3:32 PM
    ... guest list
    mick
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    4/20/2008 3:32 PM
    ... guest list
    floodzer
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    4/21/2008 7:21 AM
    You know what really grinds my gears?? I'll probably getted dubbed Hitler but I have to say I hate when women get up on fellas shoulders at gigs. I know I should probably just expect it at the likes of summer festivals but it wrecks my head. Its always some stupid cow who has interest in nothing but how loud and thick she can look, meanwhile every poor fecker behind her fat arse is missing the show!!! There Im done!
    starbelgrade
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    4/22/2008 4:18 AM
    Posted By floodzer on 21 Apr 2008 7:21 AM
    You know what really grinds my gears?? I'll probably getted dubbed Hitler but I have to say I hate when women get up on fellas shoulders at gigs. I know I should probably just expect it at the likes of summer festivals but it wrecks my head. Its always some stupid cow who has interest in nothing but how loud and thick she can look, meanwhile every poor fecker behind her fat arse is missing the show!!! There Im done!

LOL! Even worse than that os anyone who's not a dumb ass teenager, crowdsurfing. I'd forgive the teenagers coz, well, they're dumbasses & we've all been there.. but anyone over 18 crowdsurfing should be shot dead on sight.

I went to see The Pixies in Landsdowne a few summers back - worst venue I've ever been to in my life & one of the worst crowds too.. full of over excited Kings of Leon fans. Anyhow, we were hanging back at the soundesk area when a stupid f**ker in his 20's came flying thru the crowd from behind me - I didn't see him till his boot whacked off the back of my head. Painful stuff... and what was the f**ker doing crowdsurfing that far back in the crowd. No-one but his sad mates were willing to catch him & when he went to ground I kicked the s**te out of him. Not my proudest moment, but the c**t was asking for it.
    UnaRocks
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    4/22/2008 4:24 AM
    crowdsurfing is fun.

Sitting on people's shoulders gives you a better view. If you don't like it - move!

Everyone should stand completely still at gigs and have their mouths gagged. Although, seriously, it does piss me off during a quiet gig. The main offenders are people at the bar in Whelan's seemingly oblivious to what is going on on stage and ranting away with their mates. It's just manners I suppose. Something a lot of people don't have.

"when he went to ground I kicked the s**te out of him." - why?

floodzer
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    4/22/2008 4:50 AM
    Posted By UnaRocks on 22 Apr 2008 4:24 AM

Sitting on people's shoulders gives you a better view. If you don't like it - move!

The times that are coming to mind the crowd was so tightly packed that there is no option of moving.. Im talkin bout sardines here. Bjork at electric picnic. Crowd around me were retards!
    starbelgrade
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    4/22/2008 4:52 AM
    Posted By UnaRocks on 22 Apr 2008 4:24 AM
    crowdsurfing is fun.

Everyone should stand completely still at gigs and have their mouths gagged. Although, seriously, it does piss me off during a quiet gig. The main offenders are people at the bar in Whelan's seemingly oblivious to what is going on on stage and ranting away with their mates. It's just manners I suppose. Something a lot of people don't have.

"when he went to ground I kicked the s**te out of him." - why?

His boot whacked me full on in the back of the head, which started pumping blood... I'd a headache for 2 days & still have a scar from it. Normally I avoid violence, but if I get hit, I hit back.
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    4/22/2008 6:30 AM
    Posted By starbelgrade on 22 Apr 2008 4:18 AM

. but anyone over 18 crowdsurfing should be shot dead on sight.

Are you like one of those people that tells me that now I'm 30, I should get a sensible car? Nah, I'd rather enjoy life, you're never too old to goof around.

OK, people getting hurt isn't good, but you know, it's a gig, people do have a license to go a little bit nuts.
    starbelgrade
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    4/22/2008 9:54 AM
    Posted By Binokular on 22 Apr 2008 6:30 AM
    Posted By starbelgrade on 22 Apr 2008 4:18 AM

. but anyone over 18 crowdsurfing should be shot dead on sight.

Are you like one of those people that tells me that now I'm 30, I should get a sensible car? Nah, I'd rather enjoy life, you're never too old to goof around.

OK, people getting hurt isn't good, but you know, it's a gig, people do have a license to go a little bit nuts.

You can drive whatever car you like, go apes**t gigs, even dress like a teenager.. whatever floats your boat. Just don't land feet first on my head, or yer a dead man.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 3123 > >>