do you King Sativa?
 11 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
papa razzo

--
5/1/2003 2:55 AM
    I used to get pissed off because KINGSATIVA were being ignored by the bigwigs in Irish music but not anymore. I've just returned from another unbelievable night in Mezzanine (5 in a row for me now). The place was out the door as usual with all sorts of people dancin and singin along (even out into the street). Unbelievable! Ya see, I know a lot of people think KS should be playing Witnness, The Point etc. and sellin millions of albums but if they did then there wouldn't be nights like this. ps it was Cluas that introduced me to the best live band in Ireland so tangyaveddymuch.
    usurper

--
    5/1/2003 5:04 AM
    Not only that bud. King Sativa are one of the best bands in Ireland and of course they SHOULD be playing those big venues and festivals - and god bless they will. But the fact is scumbags like Hotpress and MCD are afraid of seeing a real band like #King Sativa express their opinions through music to a wide audience because they'd be s**t worried that Sativa would expose Hotpress and MCD for what they really are - "Middle Class Facist Rugby enthusiasts" So f**k them #King Sativa are the people who play for the people
    baba

--
    5/1/2003 1:22 PM
    king sativa are an amazing live band. there's no doubt about that. the band themselves seem not to care about the hype around them at the minute. the general public are starting to want to get sweaty at gigs again so i'm sure the 'bigwigs' will latch on to them soon enough. the question is will all the king sativa die hards be happy when they have to share their adulation with the masses? it could be a david gray situation all over again.
    morello

--
    5/1/2003 2:21 PM
    I always thought King Sativa hadn't made it big yet because of a lack of interest for Reggae in Ireland but then I had to change my mind when I went to Mezzanine (I go very often now). So I'm confused: they're an excellent band, have been around for ages, supported The Wailers at Olympia (Jesus that'd be like my band supporting Metallica!), have the best Bob Marley tribute band I've ever seen (Catch the fire)... so what's the f**king story!?? Why didn't they take off yet? Am I missing something? Btw Baba, what's "the hype around them at the minute" ?
    flagman
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/1/2003 2:41 PM
    It's been a couple of years since I've seen them (I think they'd just won some Heineken competition) but doesn't the lead singer just do some "pale" Bob Marley impersonation? I thought that combined with the fact that they do a Bob Marley tribute act would hamper any kind of success. Yes? No? Huh?
    flagman
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/1/2003 4:32 PM
    I was walking past Mezzanine one night and some band were doing an excellent cover of that dub track The Prodigy sampled, you know the one. Anyway, was that King Sativa then?
    baba

--
    5/2/2003 1:03 AM
    The story as i know it is that they won the Green Energy a couple of years ago despite the handicap of not being a straight up indie-rock act. An offer was then made to them by a major label which they turned down for reasons i'm not aware, of course the sponsors of the competition (reeling from the loss of good pr this would have provided) were unhappy about this and chose to give them no further exposure. Oh and to answer the question above, the hype is the amount of people who are talking good talk about them...including Sly (& Robbie), Aston Barrett and I heard on radio that yer man Colin Farrell was talkin about them in an interview but he's probably trying to show the Americans how obscure he is.
    giblet

--
    5/2/2003 4:21 PM
    JUST GOT NEWSLETTER FROM NIGHTMARES ON WAX WHO ARE ALSO GIVING KING SATIVA A BIG UP. THEY ARE PLAYING TOGETHER IN LIVERPOOL AT THE END OF THE MONTH. WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT KING SATIVA?
    Gh

--
    5/4/2003 5:44 PM
    nice one didnt know about that gig...anyway giblet, do you like cake? if so you'll love king sativa coz they really like cake!
    giblet

--
    5/5/2003 2:47 PM
    YEAH I LIKE CAKE BUT I'D LOVE TO KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND OUT MORE THAN JUST THEM LIKING CAKE...FUNNY ENOUGH.
    john@soundweb.ie
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    5/6/2003 9:48 AM
    I too king sativa...
    Gh

--
    5/8/2003 6:26 PM
    All this talk got me humming again so i popped myself down to the mezzanine about 11pm last night. f uckin' hell i see what ya mean! place was swamped. and i have to say the sexiest gals i've seen congregated in one room....ever! btw if Cecily is reading this please gimme a call coz i lost your number.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.