Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
klootfan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
2/18/2007 2:23 PM
    The 3rd Hold Steadys album is downloading for me at this moment.Listened to a couple of tracks and they sound ok. Decided to pick up a ticket for the TBMC gig as well. What do people reckon... just another pub band ?
    Unicron
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    2/18/2007 4:13 PM
    I think they're really good. I dug out my copy of seperation sunday tonight and gave it a listen. I think it's even better than boys and girls in America.
    Daragh
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    2/19/2007 1:23 AM
    haven't given the album a proper twirl yet, but not overly impressed so far, i'm with kloot, a pub band with ambition.

That chill out tent tune is pretty rubbish i thought, it reminded me of the one from a few years back "teenage dirtbag." It's like waaaay cool.
    klootfan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    2/19/2007 1:48 AM
    Gave the album a first spin on the way into work this morning. For a first listen I give it 5/10. Some tunes I really liked and then others which were just bland. Came across a bt samey samey as well.. But im sure my opinion will improve after a few more listens
    pol*

--
    2/19/2007 2:09 AM
    Its an amazing album . I can see how people could either love hate or meh them /hyped up band / nothing too original about the music/ pitchfork like them /there an argument waiting to happen!
    The guys lyrics and turn of phrase I THINK are brilliant if you played me the album with out any music and just him speaking the words id probly buy it .I got the album a month ago havent went a day without listhening to it .anyone going to see them on the 27th?
    klootfan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    2/19/2007 2:11 AM
    Got a ticket for them before hearing the album, mainly because I havent been to a gig in soooo bloody long that I figured id give them a go. Ill make sure to listen to the album a good few times before the gig to try get into them more.
    Daragh
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    2/19/2007 2:36 AM
    i would be the exact opposite, the only tune that i listened to properly (the chill out tent) i thought was a good idea, but that his lyrics/turn-of-phrase really let the song down. Thought they were very weak in places,

one mans something is another mans something else n all that.
    rockchicklet

--
    2/20/2007 8:04 AM
    i think they're ace and have my tickets for the show next week. all the live reviews say the band are a blast live. just hope the crowd wont be full of old men looking to live out their replacement fantasies.
    off the post
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    2/20/2007 9:27 AM
    I got the album on the Strength of Jim Carrol's gushing review in the Ticket. Have to say that I find it a bit samey after a while and I kinda think that they sound too much like the Boss.
    klootfan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    2/20/2007 9:41 AM
    I got the album on the Strength of Jim Carrol's gushing review in the Ticket.

Didnt he say he would give it 6 out of 5 if he could!!! I just cant relate that to what ive heard of the album...ive given it a few spins now and im not sure what to make of em... sometimes i kinda feel some of the tunes might do well in a pub scene at the end of a farrelly brothers movie
    Protein biscuit
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    2/20/2007 9:51 AM
    I'm definitely going to the live show in TBMC for a gander.

Came across this live review in the OMM:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/story/0,,2014051,00.html
    The_Pen15
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    2/21/2007 3:50 AM
    Jim Carroll can be so wrong sometimes
    rockchicklet

--
    2/21/2007 3:58 AM
    Posted By The_Pen15 on 21 Feb 2007 3:50 AM
    Jim Carroll can be so wrong sometimes

and like everyone ele, he can be so right sometimes too.

CiaranC

--
    2/27/2007 10:23 AM
    Posted By rockchicklet on 20 Feb 2007 8:04 AM
    i think they're ace and have my tickets for the show next week. all the live reviews say the band are a blast live. just hope the crowd wont be full of old men looking to live out their replacement fantasies.

Are you taking the mick? Whatever about the music, this guy is the best lyricist Ive come across in ages.

Caught them twice in London weekend before last, going again tonight.

she looked just like a baby bird
    all new and wet and trying to light a parliament.
    he quoted her some poetry.
    he's tennyson in denim and sheepskin.
    he looked a lot like izzy stratlin.
    they started kissing when the nurses took off their IVs.
    it was kind of of sexy but it was kind of creepy.
    their mouths were fizzy with the cherry cola.
    they had the privacy of bedsheets
    all the other kids were mostly in comas.

Its like Morrissey if he got out more!
    pol*

--
    2/28/2007 4:04 AM
    Saw them last night it was packed to the balls great show .Id agree with CiaranC great lyrics
    Unicron
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    2/28/2007 6:59 AM
    Super gig.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.