who does the reviews on this site
 17 Replies
Sort:
Topic is locked
Author Messages
blackheart

--
1/2/2007 2:32 PM
    Paris hilton gets 6.5 while other real bands and singers get a lesser review, for example css got 3.5 and regina specktor got 4.The person reviewing pugwash's last album said she had never heard of them before,how could someone with any interest in irish music have never of them before ?.I will never return to this site and everytime a homeless person asks me for me for some spare change i will say no telling them this website has killed what ever goodness i had left in my heart.Well done claus, not only are you killing the irish music scene you are also killing our homeless.i hope you sleep well.
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    1/2/2007 5:07 PM
    The writers name is at the bottom of each article.

Lots of different people do reviews and there isn't any real editorial policy other than that the article is readable. Anyone can submit a review. Some cluas writers tend to be harsh in their reviews, some less so, so you see a wide divergence of opinion but most of all they are real opinions. We don't all sit down like NME staff and have a meeting to decide if we're all supposed to like the Klaxons or Tapes and Tapes this month. Each writer expresses their own, largely uncensored opinion.

If you actually read the Pugwash review properly, you'd know that the writer (Dromed) did not say she had not heard of them, simply that she knew little about them. Whether someone had heard of them before or not is irrelevant to writing a good review anyway, or proving they have in interest in Irish music. It just means, they haven't heard of them before.

Garret
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/2/2007 5:37 PM
    In fairness have you listened to the Paris Hilton album yourself?
    admin
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/3/2007 4:17 AM
    Blackheart, if you think you can do better than what you read on the site, please submit a review. If it's up to scratch, it will be published.

Have to say I still don't see what the problem with the Paris Hilton being given a 6.5 by the reviewer. It's the writer's opinion. If anyone disagrees with it they're free to write and submit an alternative review of it.

Eoghan
    aidan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    1/3/2007 8:32 AM
    on this very discussion board (back in jan/feb 2006 when it was still steam-powered) thomas pugwash was kind enough to praise dromed's review of his album (he wrote "I really enjoyed the review of my record by Dromed" - I copied that from the search display but couldn't open the thread).

blackheart

--
    1/4/2007 12:18 PM
    I dont think the review section gives the site much credibility.I know its personel opinion and i am entitled to disagree with you as much as you are with me but whats the whole point of your review section ?is it for people to use as a reference point to decide if an album is worth buying or is it for the self satisfaction of the people who write the reviews ?
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    1/4/2007 2:29 PM
    Well I'm a rampant narcissist myself....

...but duuude, you're just a homeless person kicking bundle of negativity aren't ya? People obviously get a certain satisfaction out writing album reviews, otherwise we wouldn't bother. It's not like we're getting paid. Are the albums a buyers guide? What are we, your "Which?" consumer music guide here for your personal service? I write (occasionally, because I'm lazy and easily distracted) to hopefully entertain and inform, but I think the only way to honestly review an album is to give your own subjective opinion, not to tell others whether they should buy it or not. You have a brain, read the review, make your own mind up.

You've told us you don't like the site, that's fine, but please don't hang around whining about it either, theres plenty of other sites out there. Maybe try nme.com
    Rev Jules
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    1/5/2007 5:43 PM
    I bet you wander around Whelans wearing a t shirt that says 'I heard The Arcade Fire first'.
    In brief, f*ck credibility. Who cares. I'm not disagreeing with you, I just think you are wrong.
    By the way, that second album from Regina Spektor was a total dog.
    The_Pen15
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/6/2007 11:17 AM
    Posted By Rev Jules on 05 Jan 2007 5:43 PM
    I bet you wander around Whelans wearing a t shirt that says 'I heard The Arcade Fire first'.
    In brief, f*ck credibility. Who cares. I'm not disagreeing with you, I just think you are wrong.
    By the way, that second album from Regina Spektor was a total dog.

I was about to tell him to f**k off back to Whelans. Well said
    comet
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/8/2007 9:30 AM
    somehow the additional responses to this thread are in the Slowed Down thread.
    PeterQuaife
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/9/2007 7:04 AM
    whelans backlash, well done. so rev jules & the_pen15, where do uber music snobs hang these days?

PQ
    Rev Jules
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    1/9/2007 3:51 PM
    Well for people whose ears are able to appreciate something more than the endless jilted john clones doing the rounds at the moment (Artic Monkeys, Kooks, Razorlight), the Steve Reich retrospective at the 2006 RTE Living music festival was a good place to be.
    nerraw
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/10/2007 4:27 AM
    As you have previously said Rev Jules, f**k credibility, so who cares if people like monkeys, kooks etc.

You sound so up your arse in the last post its unreal. "Well for people whose ears are able to appreciate etc."

Aren't you just about the coolest cat online? Wish I was so knowledgable about music as you are so I could pour scorn on mere mortals who like popular music and point out to the tasteless fools that I, yes I, can appreciate music like Steve Reich. Me and my superior ears, that has spotted similarities between jilted john and the current crop of popular bands.
    Rev Jules
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    1/11/2007 9:18 AM
    Posted By nerraw on 10 Jan 2007 4:27 AM
    As you have previously said Rev Jules, f**k credibility, so who cares if people like monkeys, kooks etc.

You sound so up your arse in the last post its unreal. "Well for people whose ears are able to appreciate etc."

Aren't you just about the coolest cat online? Wish I was so knowledgable about music as you are so I could pour scorn on mere mortals who like popular music and point out to the tasteless fools that I, yes I, can appreciate music like Steve Reich. Me and my superior ears, that has spotted similarities between jilted john and the current crop of popular bands.

:-)
    No really :-)
    Yes, I am the coolest cat around if you say so

All I can say is, if people go out of their way to be challenged by writing phrases like 'uber snob' then I for one am going to challenge them. I'm not on cluas to play 'lets all agree with each other' playground games, I'm here to express my personal taste in music.
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    1/11/2007 12:16 PM
    Ah folks, this thread is just depressing me now. Enough of the negativity and being nasty to each other. Shake hands and play nice now. And that goes for everybody, even some who should know better...

If someone wants to crticise something on Cluas, grand, but it's sorta got personal (it started off a little pointless and unfocused anyway) If ye wanna talk about music, go right on ahead.....

Rev Jules
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    1/11/2007 4:19 PM
    No wait Herr Doktor, not so fast, I accept I may be a bit grumpy and I probably didnt express my thoughts all that well in this thread but I do want to say that there is a lot more to music than music which is simply popular or credible, the reviews on cluas deal with a wide range of genres and I personally think the scope should be wider but we do rely on people to come forward and write about music they are into with passion or interest or some mix thereof. A quick look at the reviews for this year shows a wide range from electronica to rock to pop to country and various sub genres thereof but we still dont really broaden ourselves to deal in jazz or trad or even classical, I would personally like to see that change in the coming years but that is only going to happen if people say 'right thats it, I'm going to pen something'. I admit I have a rebellious view of things and tend to react against whatever is deemed to be 'hot' at any particular moment and a vast amount of my music collection is made up of stuff that is NEVER going to be popular even though I wish it was, the Kibbutz Artzi Choir for example or Ismael Lo, but its still got magic, in all seriousness hearing 'Music for 18 Musicians' in the NCH in the presence of Steve Reich himself was the highpoint of my musical 2006, and the audience was pretty much made up of people in their teens and twenties, and I was part of the standing ovation at the end because it was just amazing, I would recommend that you seek out the new Reich Remixed as an electronica fan or just get a copy of his original recording of'drumming'.
    blackheart

--
    1/30/2007 12:16 PM
    yeah blah blah blah and i havent been to whelans in 10 years and look at the amount of posts you people have made if you want to talk about credibility how about you leave your computer alone for awhile and get out of your parents house every now and then and maybe i dont know, talk to a girl or make eye contact with a stranger, something anything but dont waste your lives in here.And no i dont have that arcade fire t shirt but i do have tickets for both gigs over here and Im not a mean person so ill tell you how i got them so maybe the next time paris hilton plays over here youll have a better chance of getting tickets for you and your same sex partner .If you want tickets just ring ticketmaster in england they sell the tickets too so you get through straight away with no bother its never failed me yet.But be sure to ask the bill payers permission first because i wouldnt want you people getting grounded by your parents.
    Binokular
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    1/30/2007 12:34 PM
    Posted By blackheart on 30 Jan 2007 12:16 PM
    make eye contact with a stranger

I would but it sorta freaks people out.

Enough already, this thread is going nowhere. If anyone wants me, I'll be in my cave.
    Topic is locked