Discussion Forums

PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 1/14/2002 3:56 PM by  stephen
Lord of the Rings - most over-rated movie of all?
 10 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
stephen
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
1/14/2002 3:56 PM
    The trouble with following the book so religiosly is that there is no rise in tension... no crescendo. The film looks fine, has a potentially great cast but fizzles out so damply... it's a shame. Hollywood marketing has truly pulled this one out of the fire...
    Jupiter

--
    1/14/2002 6:34 PM
    I think you should look into having a bit of sense. no tension? what are you...a fricken slab of steak? maybe you should watch it again...this time with your eyes open and stop talking to your mates on the phone! but everyone is entitled to their opinion. so...forged aboud id.
    mick
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/14/2002 7:41 PM
    i thought it was amazing... brilliant effects, make up and it even follows the story -ish. it really shows tolkiens world in the way i imagined it while reading the books. mick... http://www.polarofficial.com
    cormac

--
    1/15/2002 9:28 AM
    I thought Lord of the Rings looked pretty stunning, but the story and especially the characters were pretty lame. Read the book when I was 13 and loved it, read it when I was 23 and thought it was shit - a children's story dressed up as literature by making it really long and humourless
    JJ

--
    1/15/2002 9:56 AM
    Ah, the backlash had to start sooner or later. ] http://entertainment.ie
    cormac

--
    1/15/2002 3:10 PM
    Sooner than you think JJ (I'll be 30 next month)
    stephen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/16/2002 12:10 PM
    Ah come now... look through the hype. The movie started slowly ( though, undeniably, the arrival of the Ringwraiths livened things up considerably )... Why Bilbo was chosen to accept the Ring was mystifying. The female characterisation was shockingly bad - I have never seen the normally reliable Cate Blanchett give such a subdued and wooden performance. The set pieces ( river washing the Ringwraiths away, the Balrog ) were not in the least bit as impressive as the book describes. And, unforgiveably, there is an arse-numbingly tedious hour in the middle where the viewer does little but admire the magnificent New Zealand landscapes. Undoubtedly the movie looks good, is fine entertainment for maybe 2 of its preposterous 3 hour length. But the best action adventure of all time? Be serious... I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark a few nights ago... not there's an action adventure...
    Tony Montana

--
    1/17/2002 1:01 PM
    Quote "The female characterisation was shockingly bad - I have never seen the normally reliable Cate Blanchett give such a subdued and wooden performance." Hey dude, you should haul ass down to the bar and get buzzed every once in a while.
    gandalfano

--
    1/18/2002 2:59 PM
    well ive seen the film twice and though maybe not the greatest film of all time, i still thought it was amazing. the scenery was amazing and there were solid performances by most of the cast. ive read the book a number of times, reading it now again, and thought the peter jackson did about as good as he could to adapt LofR to the screen as anyone could have hoped for. and i went with my girlf who never read it and she too thought it was amazing so its not only tolkien fans who love it. slan go foill
    JJ

--
    1/22/2002 3:00 PM
    quote:
    The movie started slowly ( though, undeniably, the arrival of the Ringwraiths livened things up considerably )... Why Bilbo was chosen to accept the Ring was mystifying.
    Bilbo did not choose to accept the Ring, he found it then gave it to Frodo. Frodo was chosen or rather he volunteered to take the Ring to Mordor 'cause he was probably the only one who had the strength to resist it's corrupting powers. ] http://entertainment.ie
    john

--
    1/22/2002 9:18 PM
    I get the feeling that most of the bemoaners havent read the book. Why would anyone be mystified as to why Frodo got the ring? It's written in the ferking book, that's why. Q.E.D. If you're missing a climax, that'll be the fact that it's part one of three. I'll capitulate on the women thing, but they were even more one dimentional in the books... Jackson is king.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.