You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 41234 > >>
Author Messages
Pilchard
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
11/28/2005 1:38 PM
    Just got a press release about this... CHOICE MUSIC PRIZE - IRISH ALBUM OF THE YEAR The Choice Music Prize Irish Album of the Year is a new award which has been established to celebrate and acknowledge the work of Irish musicians. Every single year, hundreds of albums are released by Irish artists in every genre, from indie, trad and pop to electronic and jazz. The Choice Music Prize aims to highlight those albums which deserve some extra time in the spotlight and, ultimately, to select the album which best sums up the year in Irish music Instead of using sales or airplay as criteria, the Choice Music Prize will focus, simply and solely, on the music. A panel consisting of 12 media professionals representing Irish print, radio and TV from the four corners of the island, are currently involved in selecting the Choice Music Prize shortlist. This will consist of 10 albums released by Irish acts for the very first time in 2005 which the judging panel believe deserve to be highlighted. The shortlist will be announced in January 2006. The Choice Music Prize event will be held at Vicar Street, Dublin on February 28th 2006. On that night the judges will meet to decide which of the shortlisted albums will receive the Choice Music Prize. Full details of the prize will be announced in January 2006. The Choice Music Prize is co-ordinated by Dave Reid and Jim Carroll. Jim Carroll will be the judging panel’s non-voting chairman. [Dave Reid runs Broadcast Mgt & Events, the company who also organise the National Student Music Awards. Jim Carroll is a music journalist with The Irish Times. The award has already received significant support from such industry bodies as the Irish Music Rights Organisation (IMRO) and the Irish Recorded Music Association (IRMA). www.choicemusicprize.com
    benni
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11/28/2005 1:43 PM
    yea just read about this elsewhere - be interesting to see what the shortlist for this is. Could be rather cool for smaller independently released records. Or it could be a load of corporate s**te. Strangely I'm hoping for the first.
    Rev Jules
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    11/28/2005 6:47 PM
    Hopefully, the shortlist won't have any of those tousle haired troubadors, Jim Carroll hates 'em even more than I do, but since he don't have a vote, that might not happen. By the way, Kinky for Govenor !
    Pilchard
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11/29/2005 8:56 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rev Jules
    Hopefully, the shortlist won't have any of those tousle haired troubadors, Jim Carroll hates 'em even more than I do, but since he don't have a vote, that might not happen. By the way, Kinky for Govenor !
    hey jules, did u read that piece in the Observer on Kinky's campaign? we should do a Cluas for Kinky benefit, instead of those make history poverty banners, it should be Make Kinky Governer! for those who havent a clue what we're on about, the piece is here: http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/story/0,11913,1649842,00.html great article! as for the Choice Prize, i hope it goes to someone that no-one expects to get it. i'd say the front-runners will be the likes of Bell X1 or Hal, but we should also hope to see the likes of Dave Couse, Pugwash and Give A Man A Kick in the shake-up
    Rev Jules
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    11/29/2005 9:10 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pilchard
    we should do a Cluas for Kinky benefit, instead of those make history poverty banners, it should be Make Kinky Governer!
    With you the Bro'
    Nomington

--
    11/29/2005 12:52 PM
    Would you really want bands like BellX1 to be in the shortlist? I would hope to see it recognise some less known new talents.. If it's for the music and the music alone, it would be cool if some bands who are in a more alternative genre, like jazz, got some recognition. Even though there are many that are prominant in Irish, or even International jazz circles, it's a very insular scene and hard to get their names out to a new audience. Organics are a jazz trio who just released their first album, few will of heard of them except in small circles, yet they've been playing for years upon years, are still in their twenties and unusually, their album is full of original compositions which is great to see a young jazz band do.. Or the Conway Sisters, ya know some fresh new talent!!! ;D
    Pilchard
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11/29/2005 2:30 PM
    good point nomington and good call on Organics - they play every week in dublin and pull a good crowd, that album got a good response too so something like this would push them on a bit which begs the question - what albums do Cluas think should be on the list? Anyone who mentions the conway sisters will have Rev Jules to deal with
    Rev Jules
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    11/29/2005 4:04 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pilchard
    Anyone who mentions the conway sisters will have Rev Jules to deal with
    Mungo brain hurt when hear Conway Sisters, Mungo not like when brain hurt. Mungo get angry. No one like it when Mungo angry.
    klootfan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11/29/2005 4:16 PM
    Ahh "Blazing Saddles"...a classic
    Archie
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12/3/2005 11:44 PM
    Very true, all focus is on alternative as it means in relation to indie/rock music. Sad that.
    Una
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    12/4/2005 12:42 AM
    who are the judges, I wonder?
    Pilchard
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    1/10/2006 12:05 PM
    just got this on the Friction PR newsletter.... 10 grand for the winning band too The Choice Music Prize shortlist will be announced this Tuesday (10 January) on Tom Dunne’s Pet Sounds show  on Today FM between 7pm and 10pm. The shortlist of 10 has been chosen by a panel of 12 media professionals from around the country. The winner will receive a cash prize of €10,000, a specially commissioned award and benefit from a full advertising campaign on Today FM. The winner will be announced at the Choice Music Prize event to be held in Vicar Street, Dublin on Tuesday February 28. Tickets for this event go on sale next Monday (January 16) from all Ticketmaster outlets. Tickets cost €25 euros (including all booking fees).   The Choice Music Prize is a new award established to celebrate and acknowledge the work of Irish musicians. The event has already received significant support from industry bodies such as IMRO and IRMA, who have provided the cash prize, and RAAPm who have provided the award. Pet Sounds will also broadcast live from the Choice Music Prize event on 28 February. http://www.choicemusicprize.com
    Mar

--
    1/10/2006 12:39 PM
    so because there is no application process they are going to consider EVERY release including independant releases from last year?Maybe thats not a lot but I would think it is, how could they possibly consider everything when even bands selling copies of albums at their gigs etc count?
    ctrlaltdelete
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    1/10/2006 9:53 PM
    shortlist: Bell X1 "Flock" (Island) Cane 141 "Moonpool" (Exceptional) The Chalets "Check-In" (Setanta) Joe Chester "A Murder of Crows" (Barp) Duke Special "Adventures In Gramophone" (Hag) Julie Feeney "13 Songs" (Self-released) Hal "Hal" (Rough Trade) Nick Kelly "Running Dog" (Self Possessed) Emmett Tinley "Attic Faith" (Independent Records) Turn "Turn" (Setanta) nothing to quicken the pulse. I'd say Bell X1 are a shoe-in. Can't believe that Turn record is there.
    Rev Jules
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    1/10/2006 9:59 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by ctrlaltdelete
    shortlist: Bell X1 "Flock" (Island) Cane 141 "Moonpool" (Exceptional) The Chalets "Check-In" (Setanta) Joe Chester "A Murder of Crows" (Barp) Duke Special "Adventures In Gramophone" (Hag) Julie Feeney "13 Songs" (Self-released) Hal "Hal" (Rough Trade) Nick Kelly "Running Dog" (Self Possessed) Emmett Tinley "Attic Faith" (Independent Records) Turn "Turn" (Setanta) nothing to quicken the pulse. I'd say Bell X1 are a shoe-in. Can't believe that Turn record is there.
    Heard the full short listed played on Pet Sounds tonight after a disasterous surf / recce trip to Sligo, only Bell X1 sound like contenders, bought their album a few days ago and played it on the way up and way down today on repeat, what a fine record and not normally my thing.
    Pilchard
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    1/11/2006 12:12 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by ctrlaltdelete
    i think theres a good few decent albums in there. it has the the who the hell is? factor for many people with Julie Feeney and Cane 141 - and both of their albums are excellent. it has a few big-ish names in bellx1 and Hal. and it has. well, Turn. fair play to the organisers for doing it. at least they got off their arses and actually got something up and running. and - bonus - theres no big corporate brand all over it like a rash.
    Super Nintendo Chalmers

--
    1/11/2006 12:47 AM
    i'd like Bell X1 not to win. im not anti them as such, their new stuff that i've heard is pretty good, it would just be a bit obvious/lazy/safe to give it to them. (though if they deserve it, they should get it, its unfair to discriminate just because they are successful) to undermine myself completely, i'd like if Hal won it.
    Thomas Walsh

--
    1/11/2006 4:26 AM
    Tumbleweed..... Tumbleweed..... Tumbleweed..... TW.
    Mar

--
    1/11/2006 9:04 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Thomas Walsh
    This is the kind of f**king bulls**t that goes on in the "Irish" music scene, to which I atested in another thread. My P.R person was SPECIFICALLY told that this award was for "Debut albums only" so we respected the process and didn't put "JOLLITY" forward.
    Well on the web site they are fairly clear about the criteria, nowhere does it say debut album, it just says the album must have been released for the first time in 2005 and by an Irish artist,and of a specific length of recording- you also didnt have to "put an album forward" for consideration, i thought all albums that met the crtiteria were automatically up for consideration
    Pilchard
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    1/11/2006 9:15 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Thomas Walsh
    This is the kind of f**king bulls**t that goes on in the "Irish" music scene, to which I atested in another thread. My P.R person was SPECIFICALLY told that this award was for "Debut albums only" so we respected the process and didn't put "JOLLITY" forward.
    Well on the web site they are fairly clear about the criteria, nowhere does it say debut album, it just says the album must have been released for the first time in 2005 and by an Irish artist,and of a specific length of recording- you also didnt have to "put an album forward" for consideration, i thought all albums that met the crtiteria were automatically up for consideration
    exactly, it was open to EVERY album - not just debut albums. you didnt have to send in albums or pay an application fee like the mercurys. once the album was on release for the 1st time in 2005, it could be considered. seems very fair to me maybe the 12 judges just didnt think the Pugwash album was up to much. could happen, u know. or maybe its time Pugwash got a new PR if thats what he or she is telling u.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 41234 > >>