Discussion Forums

Emperor's new clothes? Irish music scene in 2006...
Last Post 27 Sep 2006 02:39 PM by hearty. 212 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 5 of 11 << < 34567 > >>
Author Messages
ctrlaltdeleteUser is Offline
Basic Member
Basic Member
Send Private Message
Posts:268
ctrlaltdelete

--
29 Sep 2006 01:47 PM
they're not called "the powder/puff girls" for nothing.
PeejayUser is Offline
Basic Member
Basic Member
Send Private Message
Posts:340
Peter Teehan

--
29 Sep 2006 01:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ctrlaltdelete
I sort out their 'fruits and flowers' on the rider.
I assume thats a euphemism.
DromedUser is Offline
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Send Private Message
Posts:900
Dromed

--
29 Sep 2006 01:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ctrlaltdelete
they're not called "the powder/puff girls" for nothing.
Haaaaa ha ha ha ha ha ...I LOVE IT !!!
Norman SchwarzkopfUser is Offline
Basic Member
Basic Member
Send Private Message
Posts:427
Norman Schwarzkopf

--
29 Sep 2006 02:50 PM
I'm Stagger Lee's brother, Sober Lee. I'm adopted.
benniUser is Offline
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Send Private Message
Posts:947
benni

--
29 Sep 2006 03:02 PM
hahaha!!! Ah normy - its always quality over quantity with you eh? Ya Legend!
LupusMusicUser is Offline
New Member
New Member
Send Private Message
Posts:19
LupusMusic

--
30 Sep 2006 02:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pilchard
i feel as if i'm living a groundhog day sometimes in cluas. did we have this discussion last month, no? or the month before? anyway...... the director album is godawful. will not get a UK release. the marshalls have one decent tune. will be dropped. what happened to dc pakt? have red organ serpent sound packed it in? or did they run out of face paint? humanzis album got a release in the UK. no-one bought it, though. immediate album v good. now managed by paul mcguinness. may turn out to be the new paddy caseys the things ROCK but nothing they've done to date on CD has matched the live show. channel 1 are so-so. staggerlee still sound like sons and daughters but that can be seen by some as a good thing. AMAZING bass player, not sure about the singer.
I assume from the fact you have a Director album that you are working in the press or radio as it has not been released to the public yet. And as this is in the public domain and has been brought to my attention I have no hesitation in replying publicly to your somewhat fantastic point of view. I have no problem with your "Opinion" of the Director album although I strongly disagree. However to say it won't get a UK release is just talking through your hat. The touring and release schedule is already booked for the UK, US and europe next year. The band Wrote recorded and produced the album wrote the scripts for the videos and in the main have recieved excellent reviews on the album so far. It is a very good Debut and should be lauded as such. The Marshals have many good songs and have been writing this summer and plan to release in Febuary. If you knew anything about making an album you would know that bands are allowed to grow and are released when ready. DC Packt have lost a member of their band replaced that member and are working on an ep release now. Red Organ Serpant sound have just finished their album and release is planned for early next year also. Philip Cartin manages the Immediate not Paul and does so very well. Indeed on an Indie budget they have done astoundingly well and have released a very fine record. More chineese whispers and bulls**t there then. I cannot speak for the Things or Channel one but Just listing off developing acts who deserve time and space to grow is pathetic and counterproductive. The only Groundhog day is listening to people like you whacking off in a negitive way about young Irish bands who work f**king hard. Get a life! Richard Mc Donogh Lupus Music
BinokularUser is Offline
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Send Private Message
Posts:1665
Binokular

--
30 Sep 2006 05:20 PM
I reckon anyone that says Channel One are only so-so needs to go listen to an early MBV or Sonic Youth record. CH-1 excite me in a way few other Irish bands have in recent years. I haven't even seen them live, only heard stuff they've recorded, yet admire their spirit and artistic potential.
mattsoUser is Offline
New Member
New Member
Send Private Message
Posts:39
mattso

--
01 Oct 2006 02:30 AM
...agreed binokular and they sound even better live. One of the, if not the, most interesting and exciting irish acts in the last year. Hot Chip should be good this week... www.myspace.com/channelonesound
UnicronUser is Offline
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Send Private Message
Posts:1696
Ian Wright

--
01 Oct 2006 11:00 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Binokular
I reckon anyone that says Channel One are only so-so needs to go listen to an early MBV or Sonic Youth record. CH-1 excite me in a way few other Irish bands have in recent years. I haven't even seen them live, only heard stuff they've recorded, yet admire their spirit and artistic potential.
I went to see them quite a bit in their first year out because one of the guys in them is the brother of one of my best mates and he was always at me to go see them because no one else was and I was constantly impressed with the amazing MBV style wall of noise stuff they were doing. I really thought they were great. Then I started skipping shows and then I went to see them last April/May and they'd gone off in a dancier direction that I couldn't get into at all. So to sum it up I kinda agree with you but without wanting to sound like a prick "I prefer their earlier stuff"
heartyUser is Offline
New Member
New Member
Send Private Message
Posts:44
hearty

--
01 Oct 2006 12:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by LupusMusic
I assume from the fact you have a Director album that you are working in the press or radio as it has not been released to the public yet. And as this is in the public domain and has been brought to my attention I have no hesitation in replying publicly to your somewhat fantastic point of view. I have no problem with your "Opinion" of the Director album although I strongly disagree. However to say it won't get a UK release is just talking through your hat. The touring and release schedule is already booked for the UK, US and europe next year. The band Wrote recorded and produced the album wrote the scripts for the videos and in the main have recieved excellent reviews on the album so far. It is a very good Debut and should be lauded as such. The Marshals have many good songs and have been writing this summer and plan to release in Febuary. If you knew anything about making an album you would know that bands are allowed to grow and are released when ready. DC Packt have lost a member of their band replaced that member and are working on an ep release now. Red Organ Serpant sound have just finished their album and release is planned for early next year also. Philip Cartin manages the Immediate not Paul and does so very well. Indeed on an Indie budget they have done astoundingly well and have released a very fine record. More chineese whispers and bulls**t there then. I cannot speak for the Things or Channel one but Just listing off developing acts who deserve time and space to grow is pathetic and counterproductive. The only Groundhog day is listening to people like you whacking off in a negitive way about young Irish bands who work f**king hard. Get a life! Richard Mc Donogh Lupus Music
interesting points richard, however, people are intitled to their opinions. I think director work very hard, but to be honest i do find their music to be humourless and uninteresting. saying that, they can produce gold, as i thought the reconnect single was very good. i am looking forward to hearing the album, and i do hope it is very good, but from what i've heard it doesn't seem that way, but i will give it the chance it deserves. forgive me if i don't take entirely on board your opinion of the band you manage! best of luck with the release. Gar
LupusMusicUser is Offline
New Member
New Member
Send Private Message
Posts:19
LupusMusic

--
01 Oct 2006 04:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by hearty
quote:
Originally posted by LupusMusic
I assume from the fact you have a Director album that you are working in the press or radio as it has not been released to the public yet. And as this is in the public domain and has been brought to my attention I have no hesitation in replying publicly to your somewhat fantastic point of view. I have no problem with your "Opinion" of the Director album although I strongly disagree. However to say it won't get a UK release is just talking through your hat. The touring and release schedule is already booked for the UK, US and europe next year. The band Wrote recorded and produced the album wrote the scripts for the videos and in the main have recieved excellent reviews on the album so far. It is a very good Debut and should be lauded as such. The Marshals have many good songs and have been writing this summer and plan to release in Febuary. If you knew anything about making an album you would know that bands are allowed to grow and are released when ready. DC Packt have lost a member of their band replaced that member and are working on an ep release now. Red Organ Serpant sound have just finished their album and release is planned for early next year also. Philip Cartin manages the Immediate not Paul and does so very well. Indeed on an Indie budget they have done astoundingly well and have released a very fine record. More chineese whispers and bulls**t there then. I cannot speak for the Things or Channel one but Just listing off developing acts who deserve time and space to grow is pathetic and counterproductive. The only Groundhog day is listening to people like you whacking off in a negitive way about young Irish bands who work f**king hard. Get a life! Richard Mc Donogh Lupus Music
interesting points richard, however, people are intitled to their opinions. I think director work very hard, but to be honest i do find their music to be humourless and uninteresting. saying that, they can produce gold, as i thought the reconnect single was very good. i am looking forward to hearing the album, and i do hope it is very good, but from what i've heard it doesn't seem that way, but i will give it the chance it deserves. forgive me if i don't take entirely on board your opinion of the band you manage! best of luck with the release. Gar
It's not your opinion or his I'm pissed off about Gar, as stated! think what you will. But getting on a horse and saying that one of my bands will be dropped and the other will not get uk release is pure stupidity. Badly informed and therefore a useless statment. Also your sweeping comments are a little tired.I wish you were here 10 -15 years ago when all you would have to talk about was feckin boyzone. The Blizzards The Marshals and Director work seven days a week up to 20 hrs a day and sell alot of records to satisfied punters. The reviews for directors album have thus far been no less than 8/10. So I'm not sure what your opinion is based on??? And I know some will slate it - that's part of the game! I care more for the thousands of texts and emails from fans who love what they and my other acts do. But my point is -What about starting a constructive topic Like Jesus isn't it amazing how hard so many of these bands work and have been working to get these albums out! Isn't great that all of the above and now Roy Seven have had multiple top ten hits in their home territories and are now moving out into the international markets. So what if Humanzie have low starting sales - they went and did it, It's a good album. Plenty of people including myself love them.You have so much good work to talk about and all you can come up with is ....... Sorry mate can't and won't except that as valid. How the f**k can we get a thriving industry going here if people just feel free to take a half informed s**t on the best we have. And yes there are loads of other new acts coming up some may exceed the above in the long term. Let them try and support them on the way up. Every act/manager/record company, publisher whatever that has success from these shores only paves the way for the next batch. Yes people are intitled to their opinions but for God's sake stop talking this boring load of s**te. R
UnicronUser is Offline
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Send Private Message
Posts:1696
Ian Wright

--
01 Oct 2006 06:07 PM
Gotta disagree with you there, if people think Director/The Blizzards/whoever are s**t then they don't need to back up their statements, all they need to say is "I think whoever is s**t."
BinokularUser is Offline
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Send Private Message
Posts:1665
Binokular

--
01 Oct 2006 06:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by LupusMusic But my point is -What about starting a constructive topic Like Jesus isn't it amazing how hard so many of these bands work and have been working to get these albums out! Isn't great that all of the above and now Roy Seven have had multiple top ten hits in their home territories and are now moving out into the international markets.
Those are not constructive topics, they are pointless ones. No-one cares how hard a band works (harsh but true and fair), all we care about it is are they any good? When was the last album review you read that praised an album because the band "worked hard"? I don't care if a great album is the result of effortless genius or a painstaking creative process, the work of a dilettante or the truly dedicated. All I care about is, is it good? I keep saying this, but thats because people still seem to think that hard work entitles a band to some kind of payoff or credibilty. Sorry, that's just not how it works. Also, while selling records is clearly a good thing, for an indie-centric discussion board, it never ceases to amaze me how much people focus on commercial success.
dermot_trellisUser is Offline
New Member
New Member
Send Private Message
Posts:69
dermot_trellis

--
01 Oct 2006 07:37 PM
I read these boards now and then but I just decided to register, hello everyone.. I've got to say, these kind of local scene bashing\downer threads seem to turn up on here extremely frequently, I don't really get what it achieves. If you don't like what's out there and you think you know what great music is, then why not form your own band and actually contribute something of value... It's very easy to throw out sniping comments from behind a keyboard at everything going but it achieves nothing other than the kind of aggravation and bitter feelings often seen on here. I'n not saying "don't criticise anything", obviously that'd be ridiculous and people are entitled to their opinions, but I know personally I'd much rather read people talking up discoveries that they do like rather than another thread of bile and negativity. I think there's plenty of very promising stuff coming through in Dublin, check out Cap Pas Cap, Dae Kim and Groom (ex-Settler) for example. The original poster seems to be looking for Irish acts who are on the verge of maybe getting internationally successful... just today there's a very positive review of Simple Kid in the Sunday Times, Fionn Regan is also getting positive write-ups and I imagine Julie Feeney might be on the verge of a similiar breakthrough. Also some of the stalwart indie acts (The Rednecks + Jape, The Dudley Corporation, The Jimmy Cake) are making gradual inroads into a more widespread popularity. The bands mentioned in the original post are all at a fairly early stage, and things don't happen overnight, give them a while to prove themselves. I've heard the Marshals demos and they certainly have a lot more than one good tune, they have a more interesting bluesy and more soulful side to them on record that doesn't come across so much in their live show. Wait til they get an album out before you pass judgement, anyway.
PilchardUser is Offline
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Send Private Message
Posts:699
Pilchard

--
01 Oct 2006 09:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by LupusMusic How the f**k can we get a thriving industry going here if people just feel free to take a half informed s**t on the best we have.
we will have a thriving industry here when we have the bands who can make records to make the world beyond dublin bay sit up and pay attention I dont know u but i do appreciate the work u and your acts have put into your music to get this far. however, its not good enough. the director album is extremely weak (despite all the "work" u went on about) and i really doubt if there is a strong, coherent debut album in the marshalls as long as there has been even a biteen of a music industry here, various industry insiders have carped on about "negative comments" and "criticism" as reasons keeping the irish industry down. No, no, no. what keeps the irish music industry is the ha'penny place is the lack of bands with BRILLIANT SONGS, AMBITIONS, BELIEF and - yes, because u do need this as well - THE WILLINGNESS TO PUT IN HARD WORK BOTH HERE AND ABROAD. please dont play a game of smoke and mirrors by moaning about how we should all pull together and get the irish industry working. what that will result in is even more s**te irish bands being hyped and plamased here and then falling head over arse when they leave the country. we're far too soft on our own kind. once we start to excercise some quality control, we might get somewhere.
Rev JulesUser is Offline
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Send Private Message
Posts:1041
Rev Jules

--
01 Oct 2006 10:52 PM
Have to say, I never thought that my listening pleasure had anything do with building a thriving industry. Maybe if more musicians cared about the listening pleasure aspect of the industry they might do better. To be fair though, how many bands worldwide have made it to mega stardom, and is their music any the less for it if they dont? I mean I dont care that nobody knows who dana cooper is, or shaver or All Wrecked Up, or Cooder Graw or Jack Ingram or Buddy Miller, their music still gives me a lot of enjoyment. In some areas of music, like folk, people make great music and make great records and know from the start that they will never 'make it big', its not in their game plan, instead they just want to be great musicians. I mean, Martin Hayes is a genius, but he is never going to headline glastonbury and so what anyway. I don't understand this unspoken obsession in indie circles with success, making it big, overseas blah, blah, blah. Its like every corner shop wanting to be Tescos. I was in Whelans recently, and thought I might take a look at the the 'disco' element of it and it struck me as no different from any of the student discos I went to in college. grungy rock and a very definite feeling of an in crowd labouring under the misapprehension that they were outsiders and alternative. Dont see whats alternative about dancing to Arctic Monkeys and by the way you cant dance to that stuff and if you tried you sure wouldn't look good on the dance floor. Give me Nelly Furtado any day, thats a lady with her groove on. In fact, every UK band at the moment is, to me, a pale imitation of Jilted John. When I joined cluas (all those years ago now) I had two definite starting points; that the singer songwriter movement was a load of nonsense (it reached its artistic pinnacle with James Blunt, it wasnt beautiful) and country music, long overlooked, was about to experience a resurgence in interest (2006 midlands festival, sick and indigent song club). But times change and what seems to be happening now is that the irish pop(ular) music scene (because lets face it, very few people on this board extend their discussion to trad, jazz, folk, world or classical music, areas where ireland is very strong) is moving again towards the idea of being in a band. And so, the band scene is now under scrutiny in the same way that acts like Rosey, Mundy etc used to be and what is really happening here is a crowd with nous in this area gazing into their crystal ball to divine the future of irish pop, and I exclude myself here because I am not interested in 4 piece rock bands. My highlight of the year so far was the Steve Reich festival and being present at a performance of his work 'You Are: Variations' and 'Music for 18 Musicians' at the NCH, in the presence of the composer himself, now that was very serious music, and next to it bands like The Immediate, whose album launch I also attended, are a joke. I mean they cant even decide who plays what. Billy Wilder once said, "Nobody ever said 'lets go to this movie, I hear it came in on budget" and the same is true for bands and hard work. The Stones wrote 'I cant get no satisfaction' in 20 minutes. Miles Davis' 'Kind of Blue' was recorded in a couple of sessions with no score written beforehand, and 'astral weeks' was done in mere weeks. If it is that much hard work, maybe you arent very good at it. But I still respect and empathise with a manager who gets on a forum like this to defend the bands they work with.
alamedaUser is Offline
Basic Member
Basic Member
Send Private Message
Posts:121
alameda

--
02 Oct 2006 06:33 AM
points taken jules, but c'mon - you can't compare steve reich to the immediate i think reich was a real innovator, some of the stuff he came up with was way ahead of it's time but he's been around since the dawn of time and has had decades to hone his style and develop his sound, whilst the immediate have only just released their debut album and are still learning their trade if the immediate haven't moved on and sound the same in 3/4 years time, THEN you might have a point
PeterQuaifeUser is Offline
Basic Member
Basic Member
Send Private Message
Posts:436
Sig Doherty

--
02 Oct 2006 08:20 AM
i say, fair play to anyone willing to put in the work like a madman/woman and get an album out. What irks the bejesus out of me is the begrudgery of the irish and all these negative throw away comments. i run a club night in the north-west of this country and am astounded by the effort to detail and the work the bands that play put in, hats off to the insane. These negative throw away comments are counter productive...and to say someone can just say a band is sh*te without backing up their view is, well, a waste of time. sitting at a computer typing in that bands are s**te...jeebus How can someone slag off an album that hasnt been released...faceless forum trollip. And as for the nonsense of making the world outside dublin sit up an listen is garbage...all you need is for radio fu$king one to play a tune and you're landed. nought to do with tunes not being good enough PQ
PolUser is Offline
Basic Member
Basic Member
Send Private Message
Posts:113
Pol

--
02 Oct 2006 08:31 AM
Part of enjoying music is slating bands you dont like , get over it its how you connect with folks who like the same stuff as you .I mean i didnt know by becoming a member here we were being employed by the site to do something productive except for maybe helping each other out (that doesent include lying about how good your album is if its not ) ,from what iv seen the majority of the time a good solid honest opinion is very productive - so LupusMusic unless you want us to do Your job for you start getting involved with bands people like !( the immediate and Director are good bands but i cant see who would like the marshals but thats just me )
PeterQuaifeUser is Offline
Basic Member
Basic Member
Send Private Message
Posts:436
Sig Doherty

--
02 Oct 2006 08:47 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Pol
Part of enjoying music is slating bands you dont like
tell me, whats 'enjoyable' about slating bands with throw away comments when you havent given them a chance or heard more of what they do?? PQ
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 5 of 11 << < 34567 > >>


Active Forums 4.3